Anyone want to review War of the Burning Sky?

maggot

First Post
RangerWickett said:
You make a good point about the combat appendix. I'll own up to just being too lazy at the time to type up all the stats. I'll make sure to include full combat stats in the appendices of future adventures.

This was really annoying for Flaganus Mortus, the Wyvern Rider that fell from the sky. He doesn't have enough detail to run the encounter (what's his initiative bonus, does he have power attack, cleave?). Any you can find him again in the back, but alas...

I don't mind so much for skeletons and stuff, because I can look them up in the MM, but for a 4th-level fighter, it is hard to make it up on the fly.

Sir Elton

First Post
RangerWickett said:
It's been more than a month since the first adventure was released, and I'm eager to get some informed critique and commentary. Sending out review copies didn't elicit any reviews, so would someone who has the adventure be willing to write a review please?

Thanks in advance.

Hmm. Why doesn't anyone send me a review copy? :)

Kafkonia

First Post
RangerWickett said:
Even then, 5d6 usually won't kill most PCs, even at 1st level. It'll drop them, but it averages to 14 damage if they don't save.

5d6 averages 17 points of damage (3.5x5.) Enough to kill anyone with a d4 or d6 hit die if they don't have a great CON, and enough to drop a Cleric into severe negatives.

Drew

Explorer
I honestly assumed that the product would be reviewed fairly quickly over on RPGNow. I'll double check when I get home from work to see if there are any more staff copies available and, if there are, I'll get a review within a week or so.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Drew said:
I honestly assumed that the product would be reviewed fairly quickly over on RPGNow. I'll double check when I get home from work to see if there are any more staff copies available and, if there are, I'll get a review within a week or so.

It got one short review from a customer, but nothing from the staff reviewers.

Drew

Explorer
Morrus said:
It got one short review from a customer, but nothing from the staff reviewers.

I just downloaded it. Give me time to give it a good read through and I'll get something posted.

Vanuslux

Explorer
RangerWickett said:
You make a good point about the combat appendix. I'll own up to just being too lazy at the time to type up all the stats. I'll make sure to include full combat stats in the appendices of future adventures.

Cool. That was my most serious annoyance with the adventure.

RangerWickett said:
The encounter with Shealis at Gabal's school could have used a map, but since we were trying to conserve our budget and because hopefully it shouldn't become a combat encounter, I didn't think it was necessary. Diogenes also should warn the heroes that Shealis is a skilled evoker. Mostly the encounter was intended to promote a resolution other than simply attacking her. Trick her, ambush her, negotiate, whatever - just don't try to go toe to toe. Even then, 5d6 usually won't kill most PCs, even at 1st level. It'll drop them, but it averages to 14 damage if they don't save. And Shealis herself doesn't have a lot of hit points to stand up to an entire party herself.

I pretty much figured it was a cost cutting thing and wasn't all that important, which is why I didn't include it in the grievances at the end of of my review. I was thinking more of a general overview map than a battlemap, though. Maps aren't just useful for combat...they're helpful for giving a feel for the lay out of a place, which may be significant if the party tries to tail Sheilis or set up an ambush or trap.

As for Sheilis, I applaud an encounter where the brain is as important as the sword, but one 5d6 fireball has the potential to outright kill even a barbarian with 18 con and the toughness feat and the encounter implies that her first course of action in a fight is to fireball if the party is in "convenient fireball formation". I feel the encounter assumes too much that the party will ally with Diogenes, which is assuming a lot.

RangerWickett said:
I hope you'll find that the roleplaying encounters and problem solving (i.e., how do we get out?) in act 3 are entertaining enough to make up for the lack of great action.

When I said that nothing jumped out about Act 3, I wasn't complaining about a lack of action. I simply didn't even find the roleplaying encounters all that interesting compared to those in the other acts. They're not bad, but they're not exceptional either in my opinion, while I do feel the adventure has a lot of exceptional role-playing encounters in the other acts.

RangerWickett said:
Y'know, it completely never occurred to me that the PCs might just ride past a farmhouse at the edge of a fire forest and not stop to chat or rest.

Where some people see obvious plot hooks, others see potential traps. Especially since as described (basically just standing there looking vacantly) she comes off as a little creepy and creepy girls standing by the road rarely mean good things for adventurers who are kind of running for their lives at the moment.

As I said in the review, though, all this stuff is minor and fairly easily fixed by an alert DM. It's a really great adventure overall and there's nothing that would discourage me from heartily recommending it.

Remove ads