• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anything But Normal, Sailing the Endless Falls... Characters Selected!

unleashed

First Post
Congratulations to all that got in. :D

[SBLOCK=Isida]
Isida Kep'Tukari said:
unleashed with Perynomen, (CN?) Male Pixie Wilderness Rogue 4 [Race MM pg.236/ Class UA pg.56]
Sneaky little bugger, ain't he? My concerns are that there's little reason for him to suddenly go from being content in the forest to being scortched and frozen in the desert. Then he is drawn on by the lure of treasure... where did this come from? He may have been born different, but I wish that had been made more explicit, or an alternate reason had been expounded upon. The fact that he tricked the shiek is consistant with what background is known, but I'm not sure why he would think his skills would be welcome in the Kingdom of Knowledge. Taala gave the party the isle-ship for heroics and services rendered, so I was hoping for a brief explaination of how you had aided or worked for Taala in the past. What you have is only the beginning of your story, and I need a few more chapters to put him in my story.
I think you've misread a lot of Perynomen's backstory to come up with that conclusion, so I'll answer your concerns as I see them.

I though that his reason for leaving was pretty clear, that he found after some time with his kin, that the simple life of the pixie wasn't for him. Seems pretty straightforward, and a great reason to leave.

He went to the desert as an explorer, which was the last part of his long journey (see the first part of the second paragraph, which I'd hoped to expand upon later when I found more time) exploring the world before heading to the Kingdom of Knowledge, with only the mention of great treasures driving him onwards though the harsh conditions. The treasure was not his reason for going there in the first place, though it was the cause of him gaining the emnity of the Jann.

Why he thought his skills would be welcome in the Kingdom. He's an explorer so why wouldn't a kingdom that prizes knowledge want the knowledge he had already gained from spending many years in the world, exploring it's many and varied nuances, and use his obvious ability to gather more.

As for a brief explanation of how he'd aided or worked for Taala. I notice a few who were picked had little more connection than joining a band of adventurers (not even mentioned as being in Taala's service), returning to the kingdom itself, or nothing at all, so I don't know that that's entirely relevant. Though I had hoped to write more about that with at least some of the other characters who were picked, though his abilities as an explorer were inferred to be his reason for thinking he might be accepted there...obviously too subtle on my part.

Oh, and he was going to be neutral, not chaotic neutral. ;)

Anyway, that said, I not terribly surprised or worried about not getting in, as the backstory was a rush job, after I'd given up all hope of trying to write anything to get into the game (bad case of writers block for several days, as I didn't spot the thread until 3-4 days ago). :cool: Mainly I'm concerned that the backstory I did manage to get up was so thoroughly misinterpretted. :confused: [/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
Pout, I was looking forward to Ekilu.

Oh well, I'll lurk as an alt.

[sblock=Isida]Fee could be a package deal, but at the same time, I figured we'd probably have a few NPCs on the ship. Also, it's an added wrinkle if Ekilu has to leave behind Fee not knowing if she's safe, perhaps at her insistance. Just a few thoughts.

Anyway, that makes me a lurker alt in 2 games of yours. Those are pretty much the only 2 I'm holding slots of games I'm willing to play in at the moment, so let me know if/when I'm needed.[/sblock]

Fenris

Adventurer
Isida
[sblock] Thanks for the recruitment. You are absolutely right that I gave very little reason, other than the whim of Talaas, as to why he would have left. i am glad you liked his background at least. And he was fun to make. Truth be told, I am a little relieved. The game was going to be a bit weird for me and I have had a family medical emergency come up yesterday that would have made this harder. But have fun and thanks for the opportunity to create a unique character! [/sblock]

Mad Hatter

First Post
Isida

[sblock]On the off chance that you need an alternate and you choose me, is there anything you'd like to see in my background? Any expansions or gaps or anything? Thanks.[/sblock]

sans

First Post
Isida,

Wow, thanks for going through all the effort of commenting on each individual's submission, that must have taken a looong time.

As for Pfft the Octopus, I think I will finish his story. I too want to find out how he end's up with his water elemental side kick :)

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
unleashed said:
[SBLOCK=Isida]I think you've misread a lot of Perynomen's backstory to come up with that conclusion, so I'll answer your concerns as I see them.

I though that his reason for leaving was pretty clear, that he found after some time with his kin, that the simple life of the pixie wasn't for him. Seems pretty straightforward, and a great reason to leave.

He went to the desert as an explorer, which was the last part of his long journey (see the first part of the second paragraph, which I'd hoped to expand upon later when I found more time) exploring the world before heading to the Kingdom of Knowledge, with only the mention of great treasures driving him onwards though the harsh conditions. The treasure was not his reason for going there in the first place, though it was the cause of him gaining the emnity of the Jann.

Why he thought his skills would be welcome in the Kingdom. He's an explorer so why wouldn't a kingdom that prizes knowledge want the knowledge he had already gained from spending many years in the world, exploring it's many and varied nuances, and use his obvious ability to gather more.

As for a brief explanation of how he'd aided or worked for Taala. I notice a few who were picked had little more connection than joining a band of adventurers (not even mentioned as being in Taala's service), returning to the kingdom itself, or nothing at all, so I don't know that that's entirely relevant. Though I had hoped to write more about that with at least some of the other characters who were picked, though his abilities as an explorer were inferred to be his reason for thinking he might be accepted there...obviously too subtle on my part.

Oh, and he was going to be neutral, not chaotic neutral. ;)

Anyway, that said, I not terribly surprised or worried about not getting in, as the backstory was a rush job, after I'd given up all hope of trying to write anything to get into the game (bad case of writers block for several days, as I didn't spot the thread until 3-4 days ago). :cool: Mainly I'm concerned that the backstory I did manage to get up was so thoroughly misinterpretted. :confused: [/SBLOCK]
[sblock]I think my misinterpretation was mostly due, to what you already said, that this was bascially the Cliff-notes version of the character. I can see where you're coming from with your futher explanation, but you can see, how in bare-bones form, how your character can seem a little flighty and even random. He's not, obviously, but the first impression was poor on my part, and I apologize. I'll see you around if I end up needing you! :)[/sblock]

Guys, I'm glad I have people willing to finish their stories and willing to lurk about. I enjoyed reading the backgrounds, and I'm impressed there was such a range of personalities. :)

I have roughly arranged my alts in order of who was the closest to being done, in terms of background, at the time of my original selection, in a separate list I'm keeping to myself for the time being. That is subject to change if the backgrounds are. Also, I was not intending to be nasty or snotty to anyone in my comments of their character, and in re-reading my comments, I realize several of them sound rather mean and abrupt. That was not my intention, I assure you. If anyone has further questions for me regarding what I thought of their characters (even if you just want to get kinks hammered out for your own amusement), feel free to e-mail me. :)

Last edited:

unleashed

First Post
[SBLOCK=Isida]
Isida Kep'Tukari said:
I think my misinterpretation was mostly due, to what you already said, that this was bascially the Cliff-notes version of the character. I can see where you're coming from with your futher explanation, but you can see, how in bare-bones form, how your character can seem a little flighty and even random. He's not, obviously, but the first impression was poor on my part, and I apologize. I'll see you around if I end up needing you! :)
No problem, just wanted you to see where I was going with the charcter, as it was as you say the cliff-notes version. :) (I only wrote it in the hour or so before it was posted, and thought it was better to get something brief up with an antagonist rather than nothing at all. :heh: ) I'll continue to work on his backstory in hope of getting a chance later on, though I won't hold my breath if that chance will only come with the drop of a character with a similar role, as those that are filling Perynomen's role are unlikely to drop out. ;) [/SBLOCK]

Remove ads