• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Applying ASF to Divine Spells

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Merlion said:
I'm all for that, I just dont understand the part about letting clerics automatically ignore spell failure of any sort, unless theres some sort of in game reason for it

Well, as far as I can tell, there's two precedents for why classes can ignore spell failure-- divine somatic components are just too simple and easy for armor to interfere with, Bards are a combination of simpler components and being accustomed to armor, and Warmages, supposedly, are just vigorously trained in armor usage.

I consider the first explanation fairly dubious; if the gestures are that simple, why include a somatic component at all? Is it simply to prevent grapple-casting?

And if the second explanation allows a character to cast complicated arcane spells in up to medium armor... why can't other arcane casters do it with some combination of feats?

Merlion said:
It still continues a precedent that Clerics and Druids somehow have an easier time with armored casting of somatic component spells than other classes.

True, but there's a big difference between "easier" and "effortless".

Thinking about it, I may want to go the Warmage route and delay the improved battlecasting for Clerics to a higher level-- preferably a level or two after PrCs start becoming available.

Merlion

First Post
Its certainlly better than the standard system...I just dont think "divine" casters should be *any* better at casting in armor than anyone else.

The only class I see as having any sort of logical advantage in that is the Bard, mainly because I think most or all Bard spells should be Verbal only.

Remove ads