Arcane Strike Question

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Arcane Strike's text from d20PFSRD

Feats‎ > ‎Combat Feats‎ > ‎

Arcane Strike (Combat)

You draw upon your arcane power to enhance your weapons with magical energy.

Prerequisite: Ability to cast arcane spells.

Benefit: As a swift action, you can imbue your weapons with a fraction of your power. For 1 round, your weapons deal +1 damage and are treated as magic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. For every five caster levels you possess, this bonus increases by +1, to a maximum of +5 at 20th level.
Could this be done every round (that you have a swift action available)?

Does it stack with existing weapon bonuses? I'm sure the answer should be "No," but the feat doesn't say which type of bonus this is--or is it a bonus?

Volaran

First Post
I believe it does stack with existing weapon bonuses, as the bonus is untyped, and applies to damage only. It can be done every round, as long as you haven't otherwise used your swift action.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
The answers are yes and yes, and believe it or not, past the first few levels where being able to puncture DR/Magic is a rare commodity, it's actually a pretty weak feat. Unless you're limited to PF core rules only, you probably have better things to do with your swift actions after a while.

Dingo333

First Post
Yes it can be used every round

Yes it stacks (so a level 20 wizard can have a +5 staff that deals +10 damage)

Once you have and can use the Quicken metamagic feat, this option becomes less nice

I have to admit, a swift Burning Hands pwns this feat for the most part (5-20 extra damage, albeit with a save to half beats a +3 to damage at most +9 with 2 attacks and an AoO)

For a rouge who did a small dip for so light spell work, it is not bad, especially when you have 7 attacks (end up with a +7 damage spread out, more if you get a higher CL)

I can see it being useful for a magus when they do not wanna quicken a spell to add +4 to their 4 attacks (like a magus focusing on buffing then just going weapon swinging)

frankthedm

First Post
Probably any monster with an arcane CL.
Depends on the critter. Most times its better to load the critter with as many swift spells as the campaign allows since many 'casts actual spells' monsters have anemic full attacks. With a dragon, the Bite, Claw, Claw, Wing, Wing attack routine is usually worth using a swift action to upgrade.

damagecrab

First Post
Neat Arcane Strike Combo...

Anyone can use Arcane Strike if they take the Trait, "Arcane Dabbler". It let's you cast 2 non-damaging Cantrips at will.

Your Caster Level is stuck at 1st unless you have a class that can cast these Cantrips (in that case it uses utility). However, it's really nice for a Class which cannot cast until later levels (ex: Ranger). I used it on my Bloodrage and took Arcane Strike at 1st Level. So my Caster Level is 1st until I reach level 4 and can cast Bloodrager Spells. Either way, at 5th level it goes up normally.

Point is: the Trait makes it a little more valuable or, at least, useful.

Remove ads