Are Half-elves underpowered?

Sir Brennen

Legend
Aust Diamondew said:
I get rid of their dumb skill check bonus to diplomacy and gather info (or what ever it is) and instead give them extra skill points as humans
This seems like an excellent suggestion, as having bonuses in those skills seems to imply a certain character background to me, which all half-elves may not have or may not be appropriate for a particular campaign.

Modeling them after humans, the +4 points at first level aren't really "extra" points; just letting the 1/2 elf be a little more flexible with their existing bonus. They can sink them right back into Diplomacy and Gather Info if the player wants to make them "by the book."

Then, the +1 skill point per level beyond 1st becomes only a slight boost in power, which I think is what everyone is looking for.

Half elves are weaker compared to Elves/Humans. Humans are the best race IMO, due to the extra skills points and that bonus feat. 1/2 elves, as they are, don't have enough going for them to equal either elves or humans.

The changes suggested in this thread about adding skill points are good, but I'd offer a choice between that and the human's bonus feat.

Kristivas

First Post
In the 2nd edition Dragonlance box set, it described Half Elves as the best of both human and elf, and gave them +2 to dex with no penalty score adjustment. I still do that whenever I play and get someone asking about half elves. I just thought it was fitting, and made the race something people wanted to play other than a human.

Firael

First Post
Hmm, In my experiance Half-elves are rather so-so balanced. Perhaps a bit below the perfect balance, but surely not worthy of a extra feat.
I mainly employ half-elves as Rogues. The bonuses to Listen, spot, search and then Gather Information + Diplomacy? It's rather good for rogues. They are also excelent multiclassers. Espescialy with the Complete books. Rogue X / Monk X or Rogue X / Paladin X, these allow excelent manuverability with the multiclassing.
Perhaps they should get the Elf racial secret-door detection ability, but anything else would be rather powerful.

Remove ads