• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Argument over intelligent weapons

Dragonjester

First Post
My friend and I are in disagreement over whether intelligent weapons powers and properties should add to the cumulative bonuses of a weapon.

Is it possible to have an intelligent +3 holy vorpal blade for instance? Or does the +10 enhancements from the +3, the holy nature, and the vorpal property mean that it can not have intelligence and extra powers and properties?

pontus

First Post
Dragonjester said:
My friend and I are in disagreement over whether intelligent weapons powers and properties should add to the cumulative bonuses of a weapon.
They don't. Adding intelligence to a weapon results in a one-time cost, but doesn't otherwise affect the weapon.

The intelligence doesn't count into the bonus, as it is seperate.

Think of it as a +3 holy vorpal sword that casts bull strength 1/day. It is not a "plus" ability, but rather an ability that is paid in. The rules for figuring out the item creation is somewhere, I am at work atm so no books :( If this thread isn't answered by the time I get home I will find it though.

You can have a +10 item, then have it be intelligent. They are not mutually exclusive.

Gallant
:D

Tiberius

Explorer
Gallant Farstryder said:

You can have a +10 item, then have it be intelligent. They are not mutually exclusive.

In fact, a fully-loaded weapon like that simply begs to be an intelligent weapon. All uberweapons need their quirks!

-Tiberius

Crothian

First Post
There are a few other magical,abilities like Intelligence to a weapon that does not add a equivilent magical bonus. You want to be careful wiuth these as the weapons can get very powerful, very fast.

Remove ads