Level Up (A5E) Artificer with every spell from every class.

Jacob Vardy

Explorer
An artificer player pointed this out to me.

1) An artificer can make magic items if they have the schematics for the item. Crafting time is halved.
2) An artificer can make a schematic of an item by studying it, using 1/10th of the gold and materials to create that magic item.
3) Having made a schematic of a magic item, the artificer can infuse the effect of the magic item into a common item.
4) The artificer can do this a number of times each long rest.
4) A spell scroll is a magic item.

This kinda implies that a persistent artificer could track down a scroll for every single spell below sixth level. And then infuse that spell effect into a common item. Crowd control, enchantment, healing, illusion, pewpew... The artificer can do it all - as long as they have found the spell scrolls. Kinda the ultimate batman wizard.

The player an i immediately agreed that an artificer would have to find a scroll containing each spell. Finding a single common spell scroll does not mean they can infuse every cantrip, first, and second level spell. That would spoil the game for everyone else.

Are we reading this right?

that sounds about right to me, but RAW you'd need someone who has that spell on their spell list to actually use the spell.

well, until that artificer hits 14th level, anyway. then everyone else can take a 12 step program off a 10 step pier.

also, i don't understand why the artificer would be limited to spells below sixth level. other then needing to make a spellcasting check, nothing about the spell scroll seems to hinder artificers in using spell scrolls of 6th level or higher. it's riskier, yeah, but they can still do it.

noodohs

Explorer
In order to even read a spell scroll, the spell must be one that you can cast: "If the spell is on your class’ spell list, you can use the scroll to cast the spell (taking the spell’s normal casting time) without the need for material components. Otherwise the spell scroll is unreadable to you." I would say that if you can't read it, you can't create a schematic from it. I otherwise don't see anything RAW that would prevent you from creating schematics for spell scrolls for spells on the artificer list, though I personally feel like it goes against the spirit of the feature.

Jacob Vardy

Explorer
In order to even read a spell scroll, the spell must be one that you can cast: "If the spell is on your class’ spell list, you can use the scroll to cast the spell (taking the spell’s normal casting time) without the need for material components. Otherwise the spell scroll is unreadable to you." I would say that if you can't read it, you can't create a schematic from it. I otherwise don't see anything RAW that would prevent you from creating schematics for spell scrolls for spells on the artificer list, though I personally feel like it goes against the spirit of the feature.
Because neither i nor the player noticed that rule.

Remove ads