• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Assassin PrC and Silent Spell Feat

c0mA

First Post
The Assassin PrC cast spells as a Bard does. The Silent Spell Feat has a special note that says Bard spells cannot be enhanced by this metamagic feat. Since Assassin spells are NOT Bard spells, I assume that an Assassin CAN take the metamagic feat Silent Spell.

discuss...

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
This is my opinion as well, though I'm not sure the RAW support it. I thuink they should havce 'best-of-both-worlds' spellcasting -- in luight armor like bards, but without the need for verbal components like most casters.

the Jester

Legend
CRGreathouse said:
This is my opinion as well, though I'm not sure the RAW support it. I thuink they should havce 'best-of-both-worlds' spellcasting -- in luight armor like bards, but without the need for verbal components like most casters.

I agree. While it makes perfect sense that bards must make noise to cast spells, it makes ZERO sense for assassins to have to do the same, and nigh-infinite sense for them to be able to use Silent Spell.

Ahh, another case where the RAW missed a subtlety... ;)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I don't see there being any need for discussion, to be honest - I can't see any other sensible way of handling it. After all, the assassin casts assassin spells, not bard spells; he merely casts spells as a bard does. A bard/assassin would have to make noise to cast his bard spells and not to cast his assassin spells.

c0mA

First Post
thanks a bunch guys!

This has been a great help to me..

My DM has allowed me to take a good-aligned assassin type PrC with most of the same abilities. Exceptions: No poison use and resistance, Feat prereq: Investigator, must be chaotic good or neutral good, gets 6+Int Mod for skillpoints.

This good aligned assassin type is compelled to assassinate evil whenever possible...

I've been contemplating the metamagic feat: silent spell, which I think would be quite nice for an assassin type.

Remove ads