• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Assay Resistance & Spell Trigger / Completion

Rassilon

First Post
Hi Guys,

There is a 4th level Sor/Wiz/Clr spell in C.Arcane that gives you +10 to overcome a single creature's spell resistance on spell penetration checks. It is a divination spell, which does not specify that only spells you cast will be affected, but nor does it imply directly that any effect you generate will be affected by the spell.

The flavour text, IMO, could support either interpretation.

Especially those who know the flavour text: Do you think that this bonus would also apply to spell trigger items (wands, staves) ? Or Spell completion items (scrolls) ?

If you say no, reconsider staves (which can use your own caster level).

If you say yes, why ?

Cheers,

Rassilon.

Scharlata

First Post
Hi!

I don't think that overcoming spell resistance with the help of Assay Resistance would be limited to just spells cast personally.

The bonus to overcome the target's spell resistance may be added to any caster level check made by a caster, may she be a real spellcaster or a character using whatever kind of magic items, or a creature with spell-like abilities.

Kind regards

Psion

Adventurer
I'd say that the verbage "spells you cast" towards the end suggest that it would not work for general spell trigger items.

That said, a principle of staves being that they allow you to use benefits that apply to your spells, I would allow it for staves.

This also allows spells that actually reduce spell resistance to keep a role in the game. Assay resistance is more certain, but spells in Eldritch Sorcery and Relics & Rituals that reduce resistance are less certain, but give you more options.

Last edited:

Remove ads