Avatar 2: The Way of Water (spoilers)

Stalker0

Legend
Saw it in imax, really enjoyed it.

The effects continue to dazzle and amaze, once again showing how 3D is supposed to be used. That said, with a near decade of mind blowing effects between the first and the last, it doesn’t impress as much.

But the story is a lot improved. People critique the “simple story” but forget the power of good simple storytelling. The plot is interesting, the scenes moving, the characters relatable.

So a good story combined with amazing effects created a solid cinema experience, and I never felt bored with the 3 hour runtime.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I didnt like the first movie, so went in to this with some trepidation but also a willingness to give Cliff Curtis and the other polynesian actors involve benefit of the doubt.
Its much much better than the first movie and doesnt get entangled with trying to promote the ‘good indian’ like the first one did. nonetheless it is still a story about how the mighty whitey Sully, becomes the best Nativ’ee possible in order to save the Nativ’ees from the bad colonisers - some of whom might look like Nativ’ees too.

Nah the stories okay, even with its strong greenpeace theme and the visuals are stunning. It does derive elements from Moana, Whale Rider and other legendary peace making but overall does an okay homage to Poly culture and the respect for whales.

I liked it

It suffers from some usual Cameronisms of plot points being randomly dropped or masses of characters being shoved offscreen but hey, that 3D is pretty rad. And it made me want to swim with space whales.

GreyLord

Legend
I have seen it twice. I thought it was okay. One of them had an Antman trailer before it. That trailer was in 3d and looked like they had 3d cutouts.

Avatar: Way of Water was extraordinarily well done in the 3d department, makes the trailer look like it was done by amateurs.

My spouse was bored (said it was long) but said it was very pretty.

I wasn't bored either time I went to see it, which is to it's credit.

In addition the the 3D, the CGI humanoid characters are astounding. Almost no uncanny valley - to the extent you could almost believe they painted some very tall actors blue.

Remove ads