• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Backlash over hunt

Robin Hoodlum

Banned
Banned

If the guy wants to check out of the conversation, just let it happen. Leave him out of it form this point forth. Thanks.

But he didn't check out of the conversation.
It's true.
He posted after he said he "checked out".
How is it "checking out" when one continues to post?

Robin Hoodlum

Banned
Banned
But I must apologize to Bedrockgames.
I had him mixed up with this character...Ahnehnois.

Bedrockgames did not say that hunting was unnecessary, Ahnehnois did.

But he didn't check out of the conversation.
It's true.
He posted after he said he "checked out".
How is it "checking out" when one continues to post?

Really, what is the purpose of debating this? I stepped in strictly to clarify my position because you misrepresented it (otherwise I wouldn't have posted again). But if you think I didn't live up to my post that I was done with the discussion, no skin off my back. My posting was contingent on your posting about me.

Herschel

Adventurer
As a long-time hunter and a conservationist I'll drop my two pence in:

The only way to conserve an animal population in dwindling numbers is to not kill them for sport. In fact "sport hunting" is not a sport at all but just a portion of humanity's sick obsession with the power to kill things. That there are people who only want to cash in on this is also sick. The only way to end it is to take the money out of it as human greed is the driving factor. That means not only not offering it, but not doing it when it's offered.

That's a far cry from going in to overpopulated areas of white tails or whatever and culling the herd in reasonable numbers. Eat what you kill, kill what you eat. Donating is okay IF you know those in need will consume it. Wasting and abusing our planet's resources is an abhorent practice. Working with the environment is good.

Yeah, Africa, the Middle East and the subcontinent have issues, including megaslums:-S. In many Central African Nations around 90% of the urban populations live in slums as other nations capitalize on cheap labor and goods. A few zebra carcasses aren't going to help enough to matter nor is employing a few taxidermists.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
I've unfortunately been away far too long to respond to anything specific, IMO. All I can say is that it seems quite a few people don't know what hunting actually is. This is not surprising, of course. Typically the loudest opinions against something come from those with the least understanding of the topic.

People don't need to hunt for food in most places, no. They do need to hunt, though, to keep wildlife numbers from exploding past sustainable levels. Our ancestors removed most natural predators (other than us) so we fill in the gap. We've tried reintroducing these predator species and have found that we don't really know what we're doing.

Anyone who thinks hunting is something that should be banned because of its violent aspects had best be a vegan - and a real one - or STFU. Srsly. And even if you are a vegan I can tell you how much animal blood is on your hands anyway. The reason I feel this way is that if you eat meat you are responsible for violent death. You are also responsible in many cases for deplorable living conditions and harsh treatment. Hunters, at least, look their food in the eye before it dies.

There's more but whatever.

EDIT: Forgot one:

Hunting is expensive. Well, it sure can be. Resident tags don't often cost a lot but you need more than a tag, a loincloth and a sharp stick to hunt these days. Bows and guns cost hundreds to thousands of dollars. You need arrows and ammo, too. Hunting clothes can be several hundred dollars for one piece. I was just hunting yesterday and my kit included a $450 gun topped by a $300 scope, a $250 range finder, a $50 backpack, a $300 parka, a $300 set of bibs, a $100 set of goose down and some other stuff. It ain't a cheap hobby.

That said, it's also totally not at all what I was talking about. Piling in the pickup (mine, used, was $12,000) and heading to the family friend's farm is a wholly different venture from globetrotting to hunt. An either sex deer tag cost me $24. To hunt a Greater Kudu in South Africa you're looking at over two thousand dollars. And that's not considering the plane ticket, lodging, guide fees, etc. Many animals in Africa and even the US cost five figures to hunt. Cheap? Nope. At least not for me.

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
Late to the party as always...

I do agree with ZB's point from page one or so that the girl who followed the process to go hunting and was authorized and welcomed to do so should not be treated harshly on completion of the hunt by the very people who actively enabled her to do so.

Whether her hunt was a good idea or not, that's bull crap behavior on their part.

Especially because those guys are decrying her from one side of their mouth while probably issuing words of welcome to the next hunter to show up at their door.

It wouldn't be that hard for them to say, "after careful consideration, we've decided to not allow hunting anymore as we pursue a different strategy for the conservation of our rare animals"

As to the sanctity or value of hunting as its own activity, that largely depends on the hunter.

Some hunters hunt for food. Others hunt purely for the trophy and don't care about what happens to the rest of the animal. My buddy owns a deer farm and now hunting preserve. I get a pretty good sense of the kind of customers he gets.

Sadly, those latter folks are quite willing to spend a crapload of money just to get a head. Whereas the more practical hunters aren't spending nearly as much to get the job done.

Remove ads