Barbarian AC

Coyote81

First Post
So I just made level 4 on my Barbarian shaman. My stats are 16,13,14,13,10,8 So instead of taking my 2 ASI (Which all I can think of putting one in dex and one in str/con) I think I will take Resilience Dexterity Which will give me +1 Dex and proficiency in Dex saves. With this in mind I was thinking about what my AC will max out at. At some point I will be able to afford half-plate, which will have me maxed out at 19 AC.

Questions: Is Resilience Dexterity a good choice? (I thought it messed well with danger sense)
Is 19 AC good enough? (Not counting if I get magic items)

famousringo

First Post
Well, since you aren't using Dex for AC, and barbarians almost always attack with strength, Dex saves and skills are pretty much all you get out of the stat. Since you note that you already have a class feature that helps with Dex saves, and barbarians have such a huge health pool to absorb Fireballs and the like, I don't know why you'd choose to reinforce that stat. I'd be more inclined to use Resilience to prop up Wisdom saves so you don't get shut down by Hold Person or dominated into butchering your team.

19 is a solid AC for anybody, but the fact is Barbarians don't much need to worry about AC with all their HP and damage resistance.

Coyote81

First Post
Well, since you aren't using Dex for AC, and barbarians almost always attack with strength, Dex saves and skills are pretty much all you get out of the stat. Since you note that you already have a class feature that helps with Dex saves, and barbarians have such a huge health pool to absorb Fireballs and the like, I don't know why you'd choose to reinforce that stat. I'd be more inclined to use Resilience to prop up Wisdom saves so you don't get shut down by Hold Person or dominated into butchering your team.

19 is a solid AC for anybody, but the fact is Barbarians don't much need to worry about AC with all their HP and damage resistance.

So you suggest I use my ASI for dex/str and get a feat later? I doubt getting resilience wisdom this early is effective. my str/dex numbers aren't even, so I kind of feel like i should take some feat at some point to grab the odd stat. What do you suggest?

RulesJD

First Post
So you suggest I use my ASI for dex/str and get a feat later? I doubt getting resilience wisdom this early is effective. my str/dex numbers aren't even, so I kind of feel like i should take some feat at some point to grab the odd stat. What do you suggest?

Getting Resiliency (Wisdom) is effective at every level. Take Res (Wis) for first ASI, then bump Dex +1, Wis +1 for 2nd ASI.

famousringo

First Post

I get what you're saying. There isn't really an effective way for you to round your Dex, other than taking Resilience.

Unless you really feel you're getting hit too much even with your hp/rage or you're flubbing too many stealth checks, I still think you'd be better off either putting both points into Str or grabbing a combat-focused feat. Since it sounds like you're sword and boarding, maybe Shield Master to give you something to use your bonus action on?

Coyote81

First Post
I'm not worried about having BAs, the path my character will take should have plenty. However if you guys are right and I shouldn't be that concerned about AC, maybe I should look at combat feats

RulesJD

First Post
I'm not worried about having BAs, the path my character will take should have plenty. However if you guys are right and I shouldn't be that concerned about AC, maybe I should look at combat feats

You should get your Dex to 14, it's just that taking Res (Dex) isn't the best way to do it, especially considering that you can only take that feat once. As a barbarian you are far more susceptible to Wisdom saves than Dex ones. By taking Res (Wis) and then next ASI boosting Dex and Wis, you get +2 in both and proficiency bonus to the saves you actually need to worry about. Remember that you get advantage on most dex saves.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
How often do you get to rage, compared to the number of combats where you don't? Considering Barbarians have the highest HPs, the highest HD for curing those, and when raging take half from bludgeoning/slashing/piercing (and more if bear totem), you can already take a lot more abuse then most other characters. I wouldn't worry yet about an incremental advance to defenses. Instead I'd play to your strength, and take an ASI for +2 Str. (Or an offensive feat.) You hit more often which means not only do you apply your damage more often, you also apply your rage bonus damage more often. You do more damage with each hit as well. Kill one foe one round quicker each combat and that's probably more reduction in damage taken than a +1 AC, plus they can't hurt your friends.

Down the road boost your defenses, and I'm with those who suggest if you want Resilient, go for Wisdom. Dex saves are mostly damage, and you can take damage. Wis saves show up more and more at later levels and steal your actions or worse turn you against your party - you don't want that.

Remove ads