Bard (Lore) Summoner

I know that the summon spells have taken a hit since the RAI says that the summons are designated by the DM. Still, I like the archetype of a summoner haphazardly summoning allies and making do with what answers the call. I think the best way to do so is a lore bard using magical secrets for the various spells. That also leaves 2 levels free for multiclassing.The spells I think I would want are:Additional Magical Secrets (level 6) for Find Steed and Conjure AnimalsMagical Secrets (level 10) for Conjure Woodland Beings Maybe a dip into wizard for Find FamiliarNot sure about multiclass options or other spells that might be relevant.

RulesJD

First Post
That's actually pretty solid. Any summoner that wants to be really effective needs to pickup Find Steed and that's probably the best way of doing it.

Although technically, the best summoning class in the game is still a combo of Necromancer/Paladin (Crusader's Mant + Auras). Undead are the best summons due to the lack of concentration requirement.

Coyote81

First Post
I think a 2 level dip in warlock for eldritch blast, with Free Mage Armor and Cha bonus invocations. If you go Vhuman use the feat to get Ritual Caster or Magic Initiate to get access to Find Familiar. Those 2 level of wizard aren't worth it.

Warlock also nets you one of those nice melee cantrips is you want, 2 short rest level 1 spell slots and 3 level 1 spells that you might not normally get access to like Hex, Hellish rebuke, expeditious retreat.

RulesJD

First Post
I think a 2 level dip in warlock for eldritch blast, with Free Mage Armor and Cha bonus invocations. If you go Vhuman use the feat to get Ritual Caster or Magic Initiate to get access to Find Familiar. Those 2 level of wizard aren't worth it.

Warlock also nets you one of those nice melee cantrips is you want, 2 short rest level 1 spell slots and 3 level 1 spells that you might not normally get access to like Hex, Hellish rebuke, expeditious retreat.

A Warlock dip is great for most builds, just not for this one.

You'll never have Hex up because summoning (besides Undead and Find Steed) require concentration. 1st level spell slots don't grant you anything for summoning because the only good 1st level summon spell is a ritual anyways.

Far better to dip 2 into something like Fighter/Paladin/Cleric to pickup Heavy Armor + Shield if you can. More AC = less concentration saves to make.

Alternatively, I would HIGHLY recommend Evocation Wizard to allow yourself to blast around your summoned allies. This becomes vastly more important of an ability the more allies you put on the battlefield.

Remove ads