• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Basic Edition characters

mips42

Adventurer
my 1st

hopefully not too many errors ;) I did make a couple assumptions based on what I saw in the rules and what made sense.

Dalvik [sblock]Dalvik
1st-level Human Fighter
Medium Male Humanoid
Armor Class 15 (leather armor + small shield)
Hit Points 12 (1d10+2)
Speed 30 ft.
Sense Normal
Str 09 (-1) Dex 16 (+3) Con 15 (+2)
Int 13 (+1) Wis 14 (+2) Cha 10 (+0)
Alignment Neutral Good
Languages common, chondathan, Elvish
Trait
Folk Hero [Rustic Hospitality]
Proficiency (+2)
Tools: Leather Working Tools
Saving Throws: Dexterity, Constitution
Skill Acobatics +5, Animal handling +4, Perception +4, Survival +4
Actions
Melee Attacks— Short Sword: +5 to hit (reach 5 ft.; one creature).
Hit: 1d6+3 piercing damage
Ranged Attack—Dagger: +5 to hit (range 20/60 ft; one creature).
Hit: 1d4 piercing damage
Melee Attack—Dagger: +1 to hit (reach 5 ft; one creature).
Hit: 1d4-1 piercing damage
Equipment: shortsword, leather armor, 2 daggers, small sheild, Leather working tools, backpack, bedroll, mess kit, 50 feet of hempen rope, tinderbox, 10 torch, ration 10 days, waterskin, common clothes, shovel, iron pot, large scale (used as shield) pouch 10gp.

Significant event: Stood up to a tyrants' agent.
Trait: I judge people by their actions, not their words.
Ideals: Respect. People deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.
Bonds: I have a family but I have no idea where they are. I hope to see them again one day.
Flaws: I have trouble trusting my allies.
[/sblock]
Story [sblock]
Dalvik was born 20 summers ago in the small town of Herons' Hollow in central Chondatha. Most of his family were leather workers and he picked up the trade.
He was betrayed by his former friend and since has trouble trusting people and judges them by what they do, rather than what they say.
Part of this betrayal was his former friend leading a band of goblins to the town. During the raid, many people died and many more fled or were taken prisoner, including Dalviks' family. In the aftermath he found a scale the size of a pie plate.
Since then, he has spent all his free time developing his reflexes into a sweeping, dancing sort of fighting form that has, so far, served him well and attached a leather strap to the scale to use it as a small shield.
He just recently found one of the members of the tribe that raided his town and was able to tease a bit of information out of the goblin: As of a month ago, his family was still alive. so he travels, looking for more clues to their whereabouts.
[/sblock]
Assumptions:
  • Improvised small shield would provide a +1 to ac (effectively a buckler strapped to the forearm).
  • Using a dagger in melee would use the Strength bonus for attacks while ranged would use the Dexterity bonus (seemed reasonable).
As soon as I rolled the large scale in the trinkets table, I knew it HAD to be his shield. :D

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
My first Adventurer's League official 5E character will be Dravos

images

Dravos
1st-level Human Rogue
Medium Male Humanoid

Armor Class 15 (studded leather armor)
Hit Points 10 (1d8)
Speed 30 ft.
Sense Normal
Str 09 (-1) Dex 16 (+3) Con 15 (+2)
Int 13 (+1) Wis 14 (+2) Cha 11 (+0)
Alignment neutral evil
Languages common, chondathan, thieves' cant
Trait
Background Criminal [Criminal Contact]
Proficiency (+2)
Tools: Thieve's Tool, Playing Cards
Saving Throws: Dexterity, Intelligence
Skill Acobatics +5, Athletics +4, Deception +2, Investigation +3, Perception +4, Stealth +7
Expertise
Sneak Attack (1d6)
Actions
Melee Attacks— Short Sword: +5 to hit (reach 5 ft.; one creature).
Ranged Attack—Dagger: +5 to hit (range 20/60 ft; one creature).
Hit: 1d4 piercing damage
Ranged Attack—Shortbow: +5 to hit (range 80/320 ft; one creature).
Equipment: 2 shortsword, shortbow, 20 arrows, studded leather armor, oil flask, crowbar, thieves’ tools, backpack, bedroll, mess kit, 50 feet of hempen rope, tinderbox, 10 torch, ration 10 days, waterskin, winter blanket, healer's kit, common clothes, hat, bandana, pouch 5 gp, 8 cp.

Dravos [DRAV-us] was born 23 winters ago in late 1465 DR in Zhentil Keep. Born son of a prostitute mother and a Zentilar father, he suffered unspeakable mistreatments during his youth, until he could flee. Dravos started working as a dock hand at the age of 14, and sailed away as soon as he could, navigating on the Moonsea wherever ships offering work would take him. He eventually crossed the wrong kind, a pirate ship called The Tortula, a trading vessel operating for the Zhentarim, also known as the black network. He soon started to delve into piratry and has become a buccaneer ever since. Between assignments on whatever ships he can find, Dravos look for mercenary work on land. Selfish by nature, he only cares about himself and how much he can make, this by any means necessary. Dravos is a tall bald man who covers his head under a leather hat and a bandana. Blind of one eye resulting from an “accident” he won’t just tell about, he had it recently sewed shut. Dravos wears a leather vest and belt covered of fake gold trinket made of tarnished brass and carry typical sailors’ weapons, a curved hilted short sword known as a cutlass and a hilted parrying dagger also called a main-gauche.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
First, I created a character based on a rough concept. The idea came from Ed Greenwood's description of Elminster and the Harpers: teaching magic to the common folk so they can't be oppressed by tyrants. I picked a Halfling Wizard. Maybe in the advanced rules he'd have a little bit of Cleric.

I was impressed by how much the background section helped me nail down the character's backstory and personality. I originally thought of the character as an innocent commoner who just started learning magic, but after looking at the options in the Folk Hero background, I decided that he would be more interesting as more of a revolutionary. I also ended up with a few juicy story hooks (I stand up for people who need help, and the tyrannical ruler of my homeland wants me dead).

The second character was just a random human fighter. I followed the "quick build" advice, gave him a sword and a shield, wrote down the ability scores and equipment, and moved onto background. The default background for Fighter is Soldier, so I took the proficiencies and started rolling on the random trait tables.

Once again, the system made it easy and fun to quickly create a unique character (I ended up with a ruthless soldier who values his nation above all, and enforces its laws even when they cause suffering--he's also a good cook, and likes dirty jokes). The process of creating this character took less than 10 minutes.

It's great that the system gives you hooks for your character that will actually come up in play--I've seen (and made) enough characters whose entire concept is "I'm a badass mage/warrior/whatever who comes from nowhere and cares about nothing."

gyor

Legend
Name: Seppra
Sex: Male
Race: Elf Subrace: High Elf
Class: Fighter Subclass: Champion
Fighting Style: Duelist
Catrip: Firebolt
Background: Sage

Stats 16 Dex, 16 Int, 13 Con, 12 Wis, 10 Str, 8 Cha.

Seppra is an Elvish Military historian. A master of steel and fire, of History, and the strange secrets of arcane, Seppra is as brutal in battle as he is in reviewing the written works of his fellow historians.

Casana

Sex: Female
Race: Elf Subrace: Wild Elf
Class: Cleric Subclass: Life Domain.
Background: Spy (Criminal Variant).
Stats 16 Dex, 16 Wis, 13 Chr, 12 Str, 10 Int, 8 Con.

Casana is a Cleric of Zandilar (Sharess) from the Yuirwood. Casana was chosen by Zandilar to be a Cleric , when as a child she scared off some drunken fairies from Vandalizing a woodland shrine to Zandilar in the Yuirwood. A trYuiwood. Since then Casana has devoured every legend of Zandilar and eventually Sharess and her various otyer aspects.

Following Zandilar's example Casana has began going out amoung the human nations and spying on them to see if they're a threat to the Yuirwood. She uses both seduction and her skills as an Elf of the Yuirwood to to keep tabs on possible threats and opportunities.

Casana prefers to fight with her bow, or barring that two weapon fighting, hiding her divine magic from possible foes until they least suspect it.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads