Battle Map Software

3ArmSally

First Post
I've been running a slew of games for a long time and have shied away from battle maps for a long list of reasons. I would pay good money ($100 range if it was good enough and had enough bells and whistles) for a program that did all of the following. ( I haven't seen anything that does all this but if it already exists feel free to call me an idiot and point me at my dream software.)

1.) Random map generation with a few parameters selected from drop down menus. (Terrain type, difficulty, weather/season/climate, dimensions, fantasy/steampunk/scifi/modern, number of elevations, and probably others that may come to someone else's mind as essential)

2.) Continued map generation without boundaries. (i.e. A forest that keeps going for pursuit or long range combat. I have yet to see a physical map that accommodates the full range of a party's arsenal of weapons and tricks or that would allow for long distance pursuit/modern vehicles)

3.) An app that lets players see their character's movement range and line of sight and move their avatar on the GM's screen when their initiative comes up. This would be very helpful to players who telecommute to their games or new players who have difficulty visualizing their character's line of sight and movement range.

4.) The ability to create maps of your own and customize unique hazards and environmental effects (conveyor belt, rotating surfaces, fast running water) and to manipulate the locations of avatars to allow for location affecting spells and abilities.

5.) Square and hex based maps.

6.) The ability to build/save templates to represent in game effects (spells, explosions, etc.)

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I don't know of any program that does all of this. You will likely need at least two programs. Once for map creation and one for VTT features.

Quickleaf

Legend
I've been running a slew of games for a long time and have shied away from battle maps for a long list of reasons. I would pay good money ($100 range if it was good enough and had enough bells and whistles) for a program that did all of the following. ( I haven't seen anything that does all this but if it already exists feel free to call me an idiot and point me at my dream software.)

1.) Random map generation with a few parameters selected from drop down menus. (Terrain type, difficulty, weather/season/climate, dimensions, fantasy/steampunk/scifi/modern, number of elevations, and probably others that may come to someone else's mind as essential)

2.) Continued map generation without boundaries. (i.e. A forest that keeps going for pursuit or long range combat. I have yet to see a physical map that accommodates the full range of a party's arsenal of weapons and tricks or that would allow for long distance pursuit/modern vehicles)

3.) An app that lets players see their character's movement range and line of sight and move their avatar on the GM's screen when their initiative comes up. This would be very helpful to players who telecommute to their games or new players who have difficulty visualizing their character's line of sight and movement range.

4.) The ability to create maps of your own and customize unique hazards and environmental effects (conveyor belt, rotating surfaces, fast running water) and to manipulate the locations of avatars to allow for location affecting spells and abilities.

5.) Square and hex based maps.[/COLOR]

6.) The ability to build/save templates to represent in game effects (spells, explosions, etc.)

I've played with a lot of mapping options (Campaign Cartographer, Dungeon Painter, Roll20, Donjon, Photoshop, coding our own geomorphs, etc), and there's no software close to what you describe.

My suggestion would be to check out Roll20... I think it's going to be the closest to what you want if you pick up some geomorphic map tile art packs. However, to implement the Dynamic Lighting feature (your condition #3) you'll need to pay and spend some time learning how to set up lighting.

3ArmSally

First Post
I looked at Roll20. It doesn't do much of anything I can't do with graph paper. The remote virtual table top is essential as I have six in person players and two Skype players. Combat grids are right out due to distance.

Remove ads