• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 2E Battlemat with AD&D 2e?

Taloth

First Post
eh, my DM really wants to use a battlemat. i know its the DM's call, but he sort of wants us to decide whether to use one or not. one of our members is all for it, the other doesn't care, and i'm a little hesitant. it just doesn't seem like it needs a board.

anyway, anyone done this? how did it work out? and if you haven't how do you imagine it would work?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
We sometimes did use one and sometimes didn't. It helps to visually represent where characters are in relation to others, even if you don't use it precisely like 3e and 4e encourage with their feats, AoO, and powers.

jasper

Rotten DM
It depends on the player. I had one who could get a free round of damage on the bad guys because he knew the ranges of all the weapons and spells. And a player who if she wasn't thinking would walk into the computer room thinking it was the bathroom.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
As I recall, when we played 2nd ed., we only broke out the scale maps and minis for big fight. Small party-on-one beatdowns (or one-on-party beat downs, as the case may be) usually occurred with no map and no minis. They were often over so fast, it would have taken longer to set up the map and minis than the actual fight.

Greenfield

Adventurer
I've been using minis and maps since 1st edition. Some campaigns I've been in used them all the time, others only broke out the big board when it was time for a fight.

So go ahead and vote for it. You'll at least have it when you need it that way.

Gilladian

Adventurer
We generally used a battle matt for 2e. That's when I collected my 300+ mini figurines. We found that even if we weren't officially using a "grid", it was much easier to decide who was close enough to what to interact with it. And the rules really do accomodate a battle matt quite well.

the Jester

Legend
If a member of your group has ever said something along the lines of, "No, I wasn't there, I was over there," then you might want to use one at least some of the time.

Remove ads