D&D 5E BBEG idea: The Thief of Divinity

Tyler Dunn

Explorer
I have an idea for a BBEG and would like feedback on it
There once was a powerful Ur-Priest who created a powerful cult dedicated to making her a diety. She eventually performed a ritual that would allow her to steal the powers of a dead god to make her a god, but due to the unnatural manner in which she attained divinity, she was not transformed into a god, but into an elder evil instead. She was eventually sealed away by a powerful cleric, but today, her followers and undead servants are seeking a way to release her.

aco175

Legend
Is the intent for the followers to actually release the god, or the cult is backdrop?

Can others gain this spell to copy and turn into a god with tweaks to not be an elder evil?

How long ago was this and is the cleric that sealed her away still alive? Can the cleric be located and speak with dead if this happened 1000 years ago?

I like the idea, but it feels like others cult ideas raising a demon, or big evil world shaking thing. It needs something else to be unique and cooler than all the others that are similar.

Tyler Dunn

Explorer
Is the intent for the followers to actually release the god, or the cult is backdrop?

Can others gain this spell to copy and turn into a god with tweaks to not be an elder evil?

How long ago was this and is the cleric that sealed her away still alive? Can the cleric be located and speak with dead if this happened 1000 years ago?

I like the idea, but it feels like others cult ideas raising a demon, or big evil world shaking thing. It needs something else to be unique and cooler than all the others that are similar.

The followers actually intend to release her

I suppose others could get their hands on the spell, but the unnatural way of gaining divinity would always result in making the caster an elder evil.

The cleric who did this died long ago while trying to build an artifact that was capable of destroying the elder evil. Using speak with dead on that cleric could conceivably find out more about this artifact and how to build it.

aco175

Legend
The followers actually intend to release her
Does the plot have her actually being released? The followers want this of course, but do the PCs upset this from happening, or do they fight her in the end?

There could be some good ideas on either decision. There are artifacts and cleric bones to collect to help kill her and cult hideouts that contain prisoners that need to be freed and have knowledge of where the McGruffin is to be found.

MarkB

Legend
Maybe this god was dead for a good reason, and if she brings its power back into the world there will be unforeseen terrible consequences.

Tyler Dunn

Explorer
Does the plot have her actually being released? The followers want this of course, but do the PCs upset this from happening, or do they fight her in the end?

There could be some good ideas on either decision. There are artifacts and cleric bones to collect to help kill her and cult hideouts that contain prisoners that need to be freed and have knowledge of where the McGruffin is to be found.
I believe the plot will have her being released just after the players make it to the dungeon where the last piece of the macguffin is, giving the PCs a sense of urgency and a need to complete the dungeon/artifact as quickly as possible.

Remove ads