• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Be your own Wolf Pack at level 1.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I found this to be most hilarious, and as far as I can tell, is perfectly legal at level 1.

1. Hybrid Ranger/Druid
2. Fey Beast Tamer theme.
3. Hybrid Talent feat - Beast Master fighting style.

This gives the character three wolves (if you reskin the Fey Beast) including himself, one of which can act independently. He can also summon one with his Daily attack power.

Optionally, for level 2:

a) Human
1. Hybrid Ranger/Sentinel
2. Fey Beast Tamer
3. Hybrid talent feat - Beast Master
4. Bonus feat: Call to the Wild

level 2:

5. Feat - Beastwalker Circle.

The character has three wolves starting at level 1, and at level 2, can then shapeshift as usual.

I'm not certain if the Initiate of the Old Faith MC feat is applicable to either build, but if so, it's an option for the second build to get 4 animals at level 1 (including himself as a beast).

Comments? Suggestions? Hilarity?

Last edited:

Unwise

Adventurer
I really like the idea for a raised-by-wolves style character. The main issue is that it ends up playing very oddly with the action economy. The animals tend to just stand around doing nothing, which is a little hard to justify in every encounter. Cool idea though, I like it.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Well, as I understand it, all of the animals share your move action, so positioning is key.

The Druid's wolf has an aura that makes enemies grant CA while in the aura.
The Ranger's wolf gets +Wis to damage when attacking enemies that grant CA.
The Displacer Fey Beast grant +1 defenses to anyone in its aura.

Any Summoned wolves have instinctive actions if the PC chooses not to command it.

Placement would be daunting at times, but enemies are being swarmed by a pack of wolves - it's supposed to be chaotic. ^_^

From an RP standpoint, the wolves aren't necessarily standing around and doing nothing. They're growling, nipping, running interference - working as a team to put the enemy in compromising positions for their attacks.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
you missed the shaman multi-class - for an additional spirit wolf.
with a secondary feat it becomes a decent source of healing.

keep in mind the other players (and perhaps DM) are going to hate positioning around your pack.

Remove ads