Beyond Rope Trick: Camp Security Spells?

VirgilCaine

First Post
In the PHB we have Rope Trick, Leomund's Tiny Hut, Leomund's Secure Shelter, and Mordy's Faithful Watchdog.

But Rope Trick can't take extradimensional spaces. Leomund's spells aren't very focused on stealth. And Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound isn't basically a better Alarm spell.

Does anyone have spells that actually stop intruders from getting into a camp?

domino

First Post
As I recall, there's a "Leomund's Camouflaged Sanctum" or something similar, which basically makes a secure shelter, but is made out of local materials in such a way that it blends into the environment.

domino

First Post
Ah. Here we are.

Leomund's Hidden Lodge
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S, M, F
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets: 20-ft. square structure
Duration: 2 hours/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell is similar to Leomund's Secure Shelter, except that the conjured structure is perfectly camouflaged to blend in with whatever terrain or surroundings are appropriate. It may appear as a house-sized boulder in mountainous or rocky areas, a sand dune, a deadfall, a small grassy knoll, or even a mighty tree. The spell also conceals all telltale signs of habitation, including any smoke, light, or sound coming from within the lodge. Creatures examining the lodge or studying its immediate vicinity note the presence and extent of the shelter with a successful Wilderness Lore check (DC 30). If the lodge's occupants are seen entering or leaving the lodge, the DC for this check drops to 10.

From http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20020920a

Scion

First Post
VirgilCaine said:
But Rope Trick can't take extradimensional spaces.

Might want to ask your dm what he is going to do about this.

While the spell does say, 'Note: It is hazardous to create an extradimensional space within an existing extradimensional space or to take an extradimensional space into an existing one.' so far as I know there is only one set of conditions where it is actually bad (involving a bag of holding and a portable hole).

Other than that, everything seems ok.

Generally I just disallow accessing of anything in other extra spaces, but that is all.

So, if you get that cleared up you might not have to worry about anything else ;)

Bront

The man with the probe
Scion said:
Might want to ask your dm what he is going to do about this.

While the spell does say, 'Note: It is hazardous to create an extradimensional space within an existing extradimensional space or to take an extradimensional space into an existing one.' so far as I know there is only one set of conditions where it is actually bad (involving a bag of holding and a portable hole).

Other than that, everything seems ok.

Generally I just disallow accessing of anything in other extra spaces, but that is all.

So, if you get that cleared up you might not have to worry about anything else ;)
He's right.

Technicaly, all that happens now is that these extradamentional items simply don't function correctly, so you can't access the extra space (That's how I run any extra damensional space taken into another beyond the portable hole and/or bag of holding combo). So if you can live without anything in them for the time, rope trick is just fine.

VirgilCaine

First Post
Bront said:
He's right.

Technicaly, all that happens now is that these extradamentional items simply don't function correctly, so you can't access the extra space (That's how I run any extra damensional space taken into another beyond the portable hole and/or bag of holding combo). So if you can live without anything in them for the time, rope trick is just fine.

Wow. This is just like the scrolls-are-always-a-single-spell thing. However, since the point of carrying a spatial distortion item is not to have to carry everything physically.

[10' poles would be really useful...if they weren't 10' long!]

Remove ads