• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Build A Buddy - Dwarf Wizard Needed

Hey hey hey...

I've got to create a 9th level arcane caster for a friend of mine but I'm stuck at the office and could use some ideas.

Only things standing in my/our way to true power gaming are...

• Must be a dwarf
    Must use 32 point buy
    Must be WOTC published material

Also, survivability is very important, so a "tougher" wizard build would be better overall.

Thanks!

Funkthis

First Post
You might want to look into the Runesmith prestige class in Races of Stone. Requirements: dwarf, Concentration 5 ranks, Stoneworking (Craft) 8 ranks, Hvy Armor Prof and able to cast 1st lvl arcane spells. So a lvl 5 wiz can easily meet requirements. The class basically allows the wiz to remove all somatic spell components from his spell so he can cast everything in armor. Allows for a well armored wizard. The only catch is now all spells have a material component...the runes. Same spell prep time so no change there. Each lvl of the prc advances caster lvl so in exchange for some bonus feats you gain armor.

As for the build spend points in Int and Con.

Darklone

PB 32:
Str 11, Dex 10, Con 17+2, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 8-2.
You can carry a little bit and with your level 4 attribute increase your hitpoints together with the Improved Toughness feat will help a lot to survive.

Get an Int item ASAP.

This weekend we will start with new 12th level characters (30 point buy, 75% of standard wealth), and I have decided to go for a Dwarf Wizard.
I don´t have the stats on this PC, but I try to recreate them:
Base Scores without racial and level adjustments:
Str11, Dex14, Con14, Int17, Wis10, Cha8
Since you have 2 points more available, you might distribitute them as you see fit. For pure survivability, chose Constitution, but if you are actually aiming at the Runesmith class, a higher Strength might be better (to be able to wear the armor), and maybe you should reduce the dexterity to 12 (since the Max Dex bonus of a full plate is +1).
Otherwise, an improved Wisdom might not hurt either, since some nasty effects rely on your Will save. With high HP, you don´t need a good reflex save, but many useful spells require ranged touch attacks.

Let´s assume you go for constitution and Runesmith (higher strength, lower dexterity) and get Intelligence and Constitution to even scores by your level increases, here the final statistics after adjustments:
Str13, Dex12, Con18, Int18, Wis10, Cha6
With these stats, you could even qualify for power attack! Maybe you´ll find a way to use that as a wizard :).
HP for a straigth wizard (assuming averages) 60. Not so bad, I think...

For alternatives to the Runesmith:
I made my wizard a Transmuter, aiming for the Archmage Prestige Class.
I would also like to make a Diviner/Loremaster, but I am doing that already in another campaign. Since the DM for that campaign isn´t that great, it might not be bad to play the loremaster in the new campaign of the other DM, but on the other hand, the character might become boring this way...

Last edited:

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
High Con, Improved toughness, cloak of resistance and an amulet of health go a long way towards making the character more survivable?

For a different take - use one of those dwarven racial variants - IIRC Gold or Shield dwarves - pretty sure they're wotc stuff. Anyway, it's the one with +2 Con, -2 Dex. Play a sorceror... could be fun?

A couple of ideas...

Diviner 7: Loremaster 2 - clan loremaster type?

Wizard 5:Fighter 1:Eldritch Knight 3 - millitant dwarf wizard?

Wizard 5:Fighter 1:Eldritch Knight 2:Spellsword 1 - a crunchier millitant dwarf wizard? :)

Guess an important detail is what sort of magic they're going to be using? That'd probably be a good point to start from.

Remove ads