Campaigns, Storylines, and Little Shops of Horrors

Toxicsyn

First Post
Just as Magi Nashira called out some time ago, im curious to see the number of ppl that would be in interesting developing storyline plots for some of the chat rooms.

Since we have many interesting options here: a rollable dice, a description pop up that also includes statistics, two game rooms (to act as per scenario) and taverns and settings to act as bases of operations.

So heres basically what im asking, to those willing to give some of their time (when they're on) to GM and which setting are you more proposal to be comfortable with.

Example
I GM Toxicsyn, is willing to develope some possible storyline plots to help further enhance the Sigil and Planescape room settings. When i have the chance to be on, etc, etc. In my particular possible story line, i will introduce adventure hooks, social hooks, and silly side hooks.

Meh

First Post
Toxicsyn said:
Just as Magi Nashira called out some time ago, im curious to see the number of ppl that would be in interesting developing storyline plots for some of the chat rooms.

Since we have many interesting options here: a rollable dice, a description pop up that also includes statistics, two game rooms (to act as per scenario) and taverns and settings to act as bases of operations.

So heres basically what im asking, to those willing to give some of their time (when they're on) to GM and which setting are you more proposal to be comfortable with.

Example
I GM Toxicsyn, is willing to develope some possible storyline plots to help further enhance the Sigil and Planescape room settings. When i have the chance to be on, etc, etc. In my particular possible story line, i will introduce adventure hooks, social hooks, and silly side hooks.

Sounds like a fine idea.

Storylines and planned games in rooms through usually never go good together, I believe A magi has already spoken about how it works, not to sure though. The point of the ever wonderful PM "Don't help please, its part of a story." when well an average non descript good character just wants to help and would go against his character not to.

I believe that is why the RP campaign rooms where created, alot of people when doing storylines do not want random interuptions, even if it is validated by the actions and events in the storyline. This new room that will be coming out, a combat oriented room, if your storyline deems that two people meet and duel it out, who is to say that someone will not jump in for what ever reason. You would not like that I am sure as this is a SL fight, it just might not be welcome. The evil guy has the girl by the wrist and is pulling her out the door, Hero 'A' is ready to pounce on them and save her, but here is Patron 'A' that attempts the same thing. Again the arguments take place about, 'Sorry I can not accept your help, can you please stop." this can happen with the severly wounded, wrong person healing, ETC.

That is why the site now has GM rooms, no interuptions, no outside unwanted influence, and the likes.

The best way you can spice of up a room would be fully interactive room ~Events~ even if its just in good sport, a band of thugs walking in. Sigil, a portal to another plan rips open and begins to spew forth badies. Or a as the hive might like to hold, small tournies to well satisfy the blood lust of its patrons.

But even that Idea would seem alittle off, there will always be the character that 'Cast spell sealing portal before anything can come through.' or ' Takes out said very well named and greatest sword, cleaving all that come through before the things have chance to set foot to the prime material plane.' Okay im being cynical but its because I have seen it happen, and I wish it could work out as well as everyone would like.

End.

Tharivious

First Post
Meh said:
Storylines and planned games in rooms through usually never go good together, I believe A magi has already spoken about how it works, not to sure though. The point of the ever wonderful PM "Don't help please, its part of a story." when well an average non descript good character just wants to help and would go against his character not to.

I believe that is why the RP campaign rooms where created, alot of people when doing storylines do not want random interuptions, even if it is validated by the actions and events in the storyline. This new room that will be coming out, a combat oriented room, if your storyline deems that two people meet and duel it out, who is to say that someone will not jump in for what ever reason. You would not like that I am sure as this is a SL fight, it just might not be welcome. The evil guy has the girl by the wrist and is pulling her out the door, Hero 'A' is ready to pounce on them and save her, but here is Patron 'A' that attempts the same thing. Again the arguments take place about, 'Sorry I can not accept your help, can you please stop." this can happen with the severly wounded, wrong person healing, ETC.

That is why the site now has GM rooms, no interuptions, no outside unwanted influence, and the likes.
Where was it implied that these would be 'closed' storylines? Any plotline lead worth his/her salt (which I know for a fact Toxicsyn here is ;) ) should be able to adapt to characters joining in at some point in a chatroom storyline, even as one-shot appearances. Likewise any villain should be able to have contingencies to improve the odds of the desired outcome being the result, regardless of outside interference.

Meh said:
The best way you can spice of up a room would be fully interactive room ~Events~ even if its just in good sport, a band of thugs walking in. Sigil, a portal to another plan rips open and begins to spew forth badies. Or a as the hive might like to hold, small tournies to well satisfy the blood lust of its patrons.

But even that Idea would seem alittle off, there will always be the character that 'Cast spell sealing portal before anything can come through.' or ' Takes out said very well named and greatest sword, cleaving all that come through before the things have chance to set foot to the prime material plane.' Okay im being cynical but its because I have seen it happen, and I wish it could work out as well as everyone would like.
Events can be good, as long as they aren't overhyped or announced long in advance - that simply leads to metaroleplaying. And while there are players who may attempt such folley as you've described, as I said above, any plotline lead worth his salt can adapt to unexpected situations. If a freeform storyline can't adapt in order to neuter powergaming, perhaps those involved aren't thinking hard enough on how to preserve their work in the face of adversity.

Meh

First Post
It is not implied, but that does not mean it can not and will not happen, people will want certain others to be the heros etc, regardless of what anyone else says thinks or does.

MistyThorin

First Post
Meh said:
It is not implied, but that does not mean it can not and will not happen, people will want certain others to be the heros etc, regardless of what anyone else says thinks or does.

But good players... as well as good GMs... can compensate for such things. Look at the Twelfth Cat Opera Company, as an example. Aside from tweaking things just enough to prevent character death from randomness, the Cat characters tend to go with the flow of whatever is happening at the moment.

The other day, Bendicci and my character Allegra were in the garden, along with a few other people. Bendicci wanted Allegra's opinion of something, and also was handing her a letter from her boyfriend. Just then, Asterix (can't recall the surname) announced to his conversational partner that he wanted to kill something, and blasted Bendicci and Allegra with some kind of fire magic. Okay, Bendicci and Allegra invoked FoD to avoid dying (neither one is an actual character class, and with the damage Asterix told me they'd take even if they saved, they'd both be sooty smears on the ground) but beyond that, they went along with the action. Bendicci got burned when his shirt, the letter, and the fabric he was holding flamed up. Allegra also got burned when her hair caught fire. And if you check dessies, Allegra now has shoulder-length rather than hip-length hair.

Does the Cat have some overarching storylines? Yes. Do we of the Cat try to prevent others from getting involved? No. We simply try to tweak whatever is going on to allow for changes in circumstances caused by the actions of others.

There's only been one instance of a potential difficulty caused by the actions of a non-company character which ended up resolved by ending that character's involvement with the Cat... and even that one instance might have ended differently, had the actions either remained strictly between the two characters involved (as opposed to getting the City Watch involved), or else been discussed OOC with an eye towards involving the whole of the company (which the involvement of the City Watch in the way the other player suggested would have done). A shame, really, it could have been fun. But because of a different story arc that was just starting up, one that could not have happened with the City Watch breathing down the Cat's collective necks, we just couldn't see a way to make it work at that particular point in time.

Gah... well, now that I've rambled all over creation... the point is, it's very possible to work out a story arc in the chats, even with random characters helping and hindering along the way. And IMO, the challenge of doing just that makes it more fun.

Magi_Nashira

Chaotic Lawkeeper
I belive the point of this topic was to get some GM's out into the open and a few campaigns open or closed, rolling. Let's keep this on topic kids! :p

Meh

First Post
I am willing, though I am sure I am hated, to GM, its not a problem for me I have the knowledge and been doing it for a long time, just message me etc. :D

There ya go, topic on track.

Jeajea

First Post
I'd be willing to DM / GM some things. Actually, I'd be pretty interested in doing so... in any of the currently available settings. Of course, whether I have *time* to do so is an entirely different question... the answer to which is "not right now". However, for future referance, I'm up for running / participating in things. I think I need to finish off a few of my currently running stories first...

Bhryn

First Post
If I had free time.

I used to know what that was.

...but IF I had any, I'd do something helpful.

Sorry guys.

Remove ads