• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CANCELED (Afternoon: The Sea of Sorrow (Spelljammer/Dread))

Cassander

First Post

CANCELED

The Sea of Sorrow
Setting: Spelljammer
System: Dread
Slots available

For the last two hundred or so years, there have been strange happenings in a region of the phlogiston between the crystal spheres of Darnannon and Refuge. Some ships have reported sightings of a ghost ship while others have simply vanished without a trace. These incidents have all occurred near Pirtelspace, a rarely-visited crystal sphere with a reputation for being haunted.

After losing yet another ship in this region during a time of increasing trade, the Arcane of Refuge had finally had enough. Several weeks ago, they funded an expedition of three ships, the Constance, the Protector, and the Retribution, to discover and eradicate whatever was menacing the Flow. Only one ship, the now badly damaged Retribution, returned. Its surviving crew told of an attack by a fearsome and gigantic radiant dragon who destroyed the Constance and somehow captured the Protector, taking the ship with it back into the Flow in the direction of Pirtelspace.

The famed adventuring ship, the Iron Whale, arrived at Refuge just before the return of the Retribution. Its crew has come looking for their former helmswoman, Laeshaera, who was due to rejoin the crew a few weeks ago at the Rock of Bral. After asking around port, they have learned that she had joined the ill-fated expedition and was helming the Protector when it vanished into the mists of the phlogiston.

Despite the obvious danger, Elezir Rashen, captain of the Iron Whale, has decided to take his ship toward Pirtelspace in search of the dragon, the Protector, and his missing crew member.

---

This game is a Dread adaptation of "The Sea of Sorrow", a Spelljammer adventure by Steve Kurtz that appeared in Dungeon magazine in the early 90s. Dread is an rpg system aimed at the horror genre that uses a Jenga tower as a resolution mechanic instead of dice. Spelljammer is a campaign setting featuring magic-powered ships sailing among the stars in a fantasy space setting. No experience with either is required.

Click here for an introduction to Spelljammer.
Click here for an introduction to Dread.

---

Characters:

Elezir Rashen - half-elven captain of the Iron Whale and former officer in the Elven Imperial Navy.
Bosaria - human priestess of Hathor and caretaker of the Iron Whale's crew
Sgt. Gussard Bolth - giff bombardier and survivor of the first expedition aboard the Retribution
Kharephon - human renegade red wizard of Thay, battle mage for the Iron Whale
Wanu - gnome tinkerer and explorer with a giant space hamster pet
Aia - mysterious girl with a preternatural talent for spelljamming, filling in for Laeshaera on the helm of the Iron Whale

---

1. AIM-54

Last edited:

Cassander

First Post
It looks like I'll have to cancel this if I don't get at least 3 players signed up by next Saturday the 11th. Dread is not the best pick-up game in the world, alas.

It seems that most of the other afternoon games are full, though, with three completely full and with Jody's only having one slot left. So it would seem we should have some kind of game in this slot, but I'm kind of at a loss for what. I guess it depends on whether more people will come and just haven't signed up yet or whether we'll lose a couple and the two of us will be able to slip into the other games somehow. Hmm.

Cassander

First Post
I'm canceling this game. It doesn't appear there's enough interest.

AIM-54, I believe Rodrigo has one slot left in his game if you haven't played it. I've already played it, so it's yours if you want it.

Remove ads