• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chain Bind

Razamir

Explorer
One of my players is a Master of Chains (from Sword and Fist)with a feat called chain bind. This allows him to use a chain and bind an opponent with a chain. A ranged touch attack and an opponent up large size is bound.

What happens is that the Master of Chains will chain bind an opponent and the rouge will Coup de Gra on teh next action. Great tactic but it seems waaaaay to powerful.

When reading the Chain bind feat it says it acts like a net and entangles. Now, entangling does not make the subject helpless and can't be coup de graded. BUT the feat is called chain bind and being bound is considered being helpless.

Anything out there to clarify this? Any errata that clearly lays it out. I can kinda see both sides of this and I don't want to just tell my player "Nope, doesn't work that way."

Thanks

Artoomis

First Post
Always, always, ignore a feat's name when trying to figure out how it works. Feat names are not descriptive except in the most general sense.

If the feat say it acts like a net and entangles the opponent - then that's what it does.

On balance, allowing a Coup de Grace after only a touch attack is unreasonable.

Reading Chain Bind, it says it takes a full round action, and the attack should be treated as a net (Escape Artist DC 25), (Burst DC 30) and requires at least a 10 ft. long chain, it says nothing about the target being helpless, therefore, treat it as a net with a different medium like it says...

Remove ads