• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Challenge: help me build my character

d12

First Post
thanks for the great ideas everyone - keep em commin'

Am I correct in thinking that Thannee's build would give the character a BAB of +16 and the casting ability of a 14th level wizard at 20th level? Not bad at all.

What is the able learner feat and what book is it from? I don't recognize it.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Able Learner is from Races of Destiny. It's a human-only (well and Dopplegangers ;)), 1st-level-only feat, which lets you learn all cross-class skills for 1 skill point per rank. Pretty neat, especially if you have at least one level of Rogue (to get your maximum ranks) and a high Int (as natural for a Wizard)! Definitely helps with getting a nice list of skills together. A great jack-of-all-trades feat. :D

Oh, and Practiced Spellcaster definitely needs to be put in there somewhere, forgot about that. At least once, better twice.

Bye
Thanee

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Thanee said:
Oh, and Practiced Spellcaster definitely needs to be put in there somewhere, forgot about that. At least once, better twice.
It doesn't stack, though.

Thanee

First Post
Ah, you can only pick that for different classes... Ok, then once only. :)

Oh, and no, it only gives 13th level casting ability (EK gives up one level, too).
Still 7th level spells, tho, eventually. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

d12

First Post
Wel, I am putting together the advice of differnet people. Several of you suggested bard. I really didn't see this character carrying a harp and singing but then I took another look at the class. It turns out that the PC can recite poetry to "sing." Now that fits the concept of the character. So, I am going to go Swashbuckler/Bard. I'll take the Able Learner feat at first level so I can buy ranks in search and disable device and serve as the party trap-finder. I 'll put the highest score in Int, followed by Cha and Dexterity (roughly the same)and use wisdom as the burn stat. I might take EK if I want maximum BAB progression and good spellcasting progression.

Bard really gives me the "trickery" type spells I want (Major Image, Mirror Image, Disguise Self, etc...) along with a decent BAB to go along with the SW. I can max out UMD, Diplomacy and Bluff to really give myself the "charming fighter with tricks up his sleeve" thing I'm going for. A SW3/Bard7 has a BAB of +8 and 3rd level spells and is primed to go EK. A Sw6/Bard 4 has a BAB of +9 (only 1 worse than a SW 10) and access to 2nd level spells. I could let the campaign dictate what spells, skills, feats and class to take and the "character" stays the same.

Last edited:

VirgilCaine

First Post
d12 said:
Several of you suggested bard. i really didn't see this character carrying a harp and singing but then I took another look at the class. It turns out that the PC can recite poetry to "sing." Now that fits the concept of the character.

Okay, that'll be my next big NPC--a bard that recites heroic poetry, with killing and magic and blasting. Show those stupid PCs how a MANLY man boosts his allies.

Thanee

First Post
Bard would have been my immediate thought, as well. :)

d12 said:
I'll take the Able Learner feat at first level so I can buy ranks in search and disable device and serve as the party trap-finder.

Note, that without 1 level of Rogue, you can immediately forget about this idea... You need a class, that has Search/Disable Device as class skill and the Trapfinding ability, otherwise you simply won't serve as the party trap-finder... Able Learner or not.

So, I'd probably go Rogue 2/Swashbuckler 3/Bard X then, even though this is kinda suboptimal in the end. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Gez

First Post
I'd take something like Thanee's build, except I'd use a Warmage instead of a Wizard.

Swashbuckler 3/Warmage 8/Eldritch Knight 9.

You get to add your Int bonus to spell damage and weapon damage. :) (Don't forget Extra Edge, necessary for all warmages.)

BAB +16, caster level 16 at level 20. You're proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with light and medium armor, and with light shields (all except tower shields). You do not suffer from arcane spell failure for wearing those armors.

Remove ads