Chaosmancer Homebrew: The World of Arista

Chaosmancer

Legend
Originally posted on WotC, I decided to move it over and see if I can't get some thoughts on it eventually.

So, I've been working on this world since before I got my 5e stuff. Some of it I'm very proud of, some of it is okay, some of it I just copied from DnD wiki sites. I've been debating posting it here, but I'm taking the plunge. This is a lot of info, so I'm going to try using spoiler boxes to make it easier to seperate and it will probably be multiple posts long which will include new posts for information that I have not written out yet, such as my Lamia write up which I have not gathered all together yet.

It is worth noting the inspiration behind this world's creation.

1) I am sick and tired of Goblins being joke enemies. I remember watching a Wizards livestream game, they captured a goblin they named Slurpy and it was just kind of sad, funny sure, but sad. I'm a fan of Jim Butcher and more traditional faerie tales, so I know goblins can be truly terrifying. I decided that I'd take the goblins from The Dresden Files and make them the primary enemies of my world. Homebrewed some stats for goblins that are more intelligent and professional. These guys are trained scouts and rangers, and their leaders are spellcasters.

2) I was reading through the PHB and got to the non-human dieties section. I was incredibly taken aback by the... the lack of depth. Pulled up the internet and starting picking and choosing dieties and beliefs, trying to build cultures that felt unique from each other. Not sure how successful I ended up being but here we go.

Quick History of Arista

[sblock]Very few things are agreed upon regarding the earliest years of the world that became known as Arista. One of these is that the dragons were the first race to walk the lands, arising from the blood spilled by their ancient gods Bahamut and Tiamat who are locked in eternal combat. The first war of many.

The next races to walk these lands were the elves and the dwarves. Each will claim to be the eldest race and each will claim the world was created by their gods. The name of this world, Arista, came from the elves who felt the need to name the world after their wizards discovered the existence of other worlds. The name means “Living Art” and was adopted by the other races to come.

While the dwarves have always been content with their underground kingdom, and have never had dynastic ambitions, the elves were voracious in claiming the surface as their own. This ambition led to the creation of the Dragonborn, though the exact details have been lost to time.

Some claim that the elves tried merging their power with that of the Dragon's, to the mutual benefit of both. The experiments were unsuccessful though, causing physical mutations that led to the birth of the first Dragonborn. The elves tried working with their afflicted brethren, but the dragon's avarice took over and the Dragonborn warred with the elves, seeking to rule them.

Others say the elves were jealous of the Dragon's might, and stole their eggs to enslave newborn dragons to their will. The elven magic mutated and stunted the newborns though, giving rise to a race of semi-dragons unable to reach their full potential. Undeterred the elves sought to keep the Dragonborn as slaves, until they revolted and attained their freedom.

Regardless of which tale is the truth, the elves and dragonborn fought bloody wars against each other for centuries. During this time the Dwarves, in search of ores and jewels, discovered the Orcs. The orcs claim to be as ancient as the Dwarves and Elves, perhaps even more so, but the other races point to their savage and primitive culture as a sign of their youth. It is true that orcish culture is savage and violent, and the orc's ultimate goal is world domination, but do not be fooled into thinking them simple. Their god, Gruumsh, believes in physical might above all else and orc tradition demands that their weapons be handmade from wood and stone and their armor only be made from the hides of enemies they have personally killed. With such a clear technological disadvantage against Dwarven Steel it seemed obvious that the Orcs stood no chance of victory, yet the fighting raged on for centuries. In those days the orcs outnumbered the dwarves many times over, and occasionally orc chieftains would rise whose tactics decimated the dwarven army with brilliant insights and strategies. Most scholars agree that the orcs only lost their war with the dwarves because of their hubris and traditions.

This history of violent warfare ended 800 years ago with the Rift Events. The most famous of these events occurred during a conflict between the combined Elvish and Gnomish army and the forces of the Dragonborn. Midway through the battle a massive portal opened between the two sides. Each side, thinking it was an attack by the other, turned to engage. They were met by a desperate and half-mad force of Humans and Tieflings, refugees from another world. The details are sketchy but two things are known to be true. None of the refugees retained any solid knowledge of their home world or what they were fleeing from. Most scholars claim it must have been a natural catastrophe and that the strain of interplanar travel wiped their memories. Others, with fragmented accounts, claim the refugees were fleeing from some great foe, one whose terror drove them mad. The other truth is that both armies were decimated by the end of the event, likely caused by the confusion of a three-way battle between the desperate refugees and the weary armies.

In the months that followed the human leaders desperately negotiated for land and supplies with both the elvish king and the dragonborn council. It looked hopeless as each side refused to give an inch of territory, until word came from the the west. The second Rift did not bring refugees, it brought a horde of beasts which overran the dwarven city of Harth, overran countless orcish villages, and tore through the weakened elvish and dragonborn lines. The first human king, Timothy the Sage, recognized these creatures, calling them Goblins. He gathered the leaders of the other races together and formed an alliance with the guarantee of land once the war was over. Together they pushed the goblins and their forces beyond the dwarvish mountains, though the effort took the better part of a century.

As agreed the kingdoms gave land to the humans, each using the humans as a buffer against their enemies and the alliance has held together to this day. Another important aspect of the alliance treaty is that the orcs agreed to focus their conquest westward towards the goblin empire, instead of eastward towards the other kingdoms. This agreement is uneasy and temporary though, and many wonder of the wisdom of allowing the orcs to recover their strength knowing they will one day turn on their allies.

The final event of note in Arista was he arrival of the Halflings. They first appeared a year after the Goblin War ended and have since traveled through all the civilized lands. They are entertainers, tinkers, merchants, and often accused of theft and murder as all travelers are. There is no solid evidence for these crimes though, and the Halfling goddess Yondalla is said to frown on such practices, as the Halflings often point to in their defense. [/sblock]

Layout of Arista

[sblock]The Outlands, far to the West, is the home of the weakened goblins and other savage creatures. Between them and the other kingdoms lie the Three King Mountains, so named for the Three kingdoms which are housed within. Beneath the mountains lies the Dwarven Kingdom and the restored city of Harth. Amongst the Mountain's valleys and slopes range the orc tribes, ruled by a king elected by the tribal chiefs. The third kingdom is that of the giants who are secluded amongst the peaks and clouds of the mountains.

The foothills of the mountains are honey-combed with old caves and there are many secluded areas in which monsters and giantkin can be found. It is thought many of these beasts have moved into areas abandoned by the orcs after their massive causalities in the area.

There is a single large pass through the mountains, called Grimsdell Pass. It was because of this pass that the goblins were able to crush the dwarvish defenses. The pass was too large to fortify or patrol effectively, and it allowed the goblins to surround the dwarves. Defense of this pass fell to the humans, as part of their land rights, and marked their western-most border. It as the human's second king, and first to claim the title of Witch-King, who solved the issue of defending the pass. Over the course of a year he bent his magic to the creation of an enchanted forest, known now as Grimsdell Wood, which sealed off the pass. Most who seek to pass through the wood without royal permission are never heard from again, and it has kept all but the smallest forces of goblins at bay.

It is thought that inspiration for the Woods came from the kingdoms eastern border, a mysterious place known only as the Beastlands. When the allotment of land as decided both elves and dragonborn seemed eager to place the humans between themselves and the massive stones that mark the Beastlands borders. No one knows what lies beyond, as no one that has gone more than five steps into the perpetual fog has ever returned and even those who have gone less have lost limbs to the beasts that prowl the border.

To the south of the Human kingdom of Toril are the Feylands, home of the elves and gnomes. Perhaps demoralized by their losses in the near endless warring, the elves have retreated back to their forest home and not made any aggressive overtures towards their neighbors. Their border is fiercely defended by the “wood elves” who patrol it. Just inside the border, if you are allowed to cross, lie small towns of wood elves and gnomes. No one is allowed deeper, where the reclusive “high elves” dwell in the city of Revis. It is rumored that a third race of elves lives beneath the surface, but these “dark elves” have never been seen by the wider world and if they do exist they seem to have no interest in the surface world.

To the immediate north of Toril are the Barrow Hills, a remnant of the rule of the mad Human king Varis. Varis believed that humans deserved more land for their efforts in the Goblin War and that they needed to take it by force. However, they did not have the strength to defeat any of their neighbors, so Varis used necromancy, raising his dead soldiers as zombies, ghouls and other abominations. The plan was ill-conceived and all that remains is a vast stretch of land where the undead roam seeking flesh to consume.

Beyond the hills are the city-states of the Dragonborn. The land is volcanic and covered in ice. The dragonborn are proud of their ability to live in this harsh land and of the paths they have carved through the Hills to connect them back to the other nations.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Chaosmancer

Legend
Cultural Notes and Secrets

These were notes for the players as well as myself. This means there are some details that are hinted at or omitted that I do know but was not included, as I did not want the players to know. Feel free to ask questions and I'l answer as best I can. I also have kingdom notes further down (if I've posted them) where I note leaders, important clans and other details, some of which is including up here.

Elves and Gnomes

[sblock]In fitting with their history, elvish society is still very martial. A child attains adulthood by preforming a complex sword kata and then completing three bullseye strikes on distant bow targets. Anyone who cannot is considered still a child, unless a high-ranking lord or lady intercedes on their behalf and that is reserved for incredibly rare and precious talents. The Elven Royalty is generally lives apart, with Queen Luaf holding court outside the gates of Revis and her husband King Amon holding court within the great city. Some speculate whether or not this is a holdover from the times of the great campaigns, to prevent both royals from being assassinated in the same attack.

The typical Elvish Pantheon is small, including only three deities. Chief among them is Corellon Larethian, patron of Beauty, Magic, and Warfare. His symbol is a silver starburst on a blue field. Also known as the Preserver of Life Corellon believes it is his duty, and that of his elvish children, to protect all that is beautiful and good in the world. Corellon generally appears as male, but is a very fluid diety and has also appeared as a female and a Hermaphrodite, which has led to very fluid gender views in elvish culture as a whole. Corellon has many allies in his battles, but chief among them are the other two prime elven dieties.

One is Sehanine Moonbow, who protects the dreams of the elves and guards their spirits against madness. Her symbol is the moon, most commonly the crescent moon which is seen as the most beautiful of moons. Some believe the Lady of Dreams is Corellon's lover, but no evidence exists in the Cycles, the stories and mythologies of the elves, to support this.

The other is Solonor Keen-eye, The Great Archer, who protects the elven borders and hunts great beasts to maintain the balance of the world. He is most commonly worshipped by the Wood Elves, who share his duty, and his symbol is a silver arrow. The majority of Wood elves live in tree houses, connected to nearby houses by means of rope ladders. While some believe this is because of some deep connection to nature the truth is that it was entirely a tactical decision. By remaining in the trees wood elves can attack their foes via archery, leaving an enemy to either attempt to overcome elven bowmanship, or attempt to destroy the trees themselves while death rains down from above. To date, no more than a dozen villages have been destroyed in the entirety of elvish history.

Unlike the Elves, Gnomish society is very subdued, generally revolving around academics and humor. Compared to their elven brethren the gnomes seem completely without hierarchy or structure, content to leave such things to the elves and obeying their laws. If there is any structure to be found it is within the Gnomish Academy of Scientific and Magical Research, Discovery and Experimentation. Many gnomes do not consider themselves full adults until they have made a discovery or presented a thesis to the Academy board, and the academy staff holds great power within the community. The current Dean is Alston “Oneshoe” Dimble Nyx Roondar Murnig.

The normal Gnomish pantheon also contains three gods, led by Garl Glittergold. Garl, also known as the Sparkling Wit, is a god of Community and Humor. He is the main protector of Gnome-kind, teaching that a stable and united community is the best defense against the troubles of the world. That and a good laugh. Garl's symbol is a gold nugget, though his followers often wonder if it is fool's gold.

Garl's two brothers also watch over the gnomes. Nebelun, the Meddler, god of inventions and tinkering whose symbol is a cog and Baravas Cloakshadow, the Sly one, God of illusions and traps whose symbol is a cloak and dagger.

In contrast to the elves, the majority of gnomish dwellings are half-buried in the ground, beneath the trees where the elvish dwellings are located. This puts the gnomes in more immediate danger, but most foes cannot fit in the small entryways easily, and are more concerned with the elves sniping from the treetops to bother with the gnomes scurrying beneath the ground, this is often a tactical miscalculation.[/sblock]

Wood Elf Perspective

[sblock]The wood elves are the elves most commonly seen by the outside world. They are the guardians of the Feylands, protecting their borders from outsiders. They have a second, odder, mission as well. They also watch the inner border that separates the Feylands from the High elf capitol, Revis, to prevent “anything unusual” from leaving “without permission”. They do not know why they have been given this mission, only that it has been a sacred duty for over 750 years. Occasionally royal emissaries call upon the wood elf and gnomish “best of the best” to enter the sealed city on secret missions. Many never return, and those that do are haunted by what they have seen, though none ever speak of it. The wood elves who accept this duty are known as Solonor's Arrows, since it is clear they face some terrible threat within their homeland.[/sblock]

Gnome Perspective

[sblock]No written record remains of the gnome's discovery by and alliance with the elves, and that is exactly how the gnomes want it. Many centuries ago, while the elves were still young and the dragonborn unconceived the elvish scouts ran into a tribe of savages, half mad and bestial, to the far east. These were the gnomes. Something told the elves that these savages were capable beyond their current state and they took the gnomes in and recultured them. Gnomish lore states that some great power cursed them into that state, and it seems to still be active. Occasionally, though more often in the Forest Gnomes, perhaps due to their affinity for the wilds, a gnome is born with this wild rage, behaving as a savage beast. They are hidden away by their brethren in secret tunnels and caves, kept safe and secret until one of three things occurs. Either they conquer the rage and banish it, they learn to contain and live with it (leading to a log line of proud gnomish “barbarians”) or they die. Gnomes refer to those who die as “The Great Sacrifice”, though the origin of that term has been lost to time. This gnomish history is found in many old practices, such as spirit quest coming of age ceremonies, that many communities still follow in secret.

All of this they hide from the elves, living beside them as scouts, inventors and occasionally fierce warriors. Gnomes are the only ones with secrets though. The Feyland capitol Revis is magically sealed and no one is allowed inside. The only exceptions being when Royal Emissaries call upon the best and brightest to carry out secret missions past the city wall. Those who enter rarely return, but those who do suffer from terrible nightmares and never speak of what they have seen within.

One final note about the Gnomish pantheon. As far as anyone can remember or prove there has only ever been Garl and his brothers, but ancient, broken records speak of two sister goddesses as well. The gods remain silent on this, but the mystery has led many gnomes to leave their tight-knit communities in search of “The Lost Sisters” [/sblock]

High Elves and Drow

[sblock]The High Elves believe it is their sacred duty to protect and nurture the world and they take this duty very seriously. It led them to attempt to conquer all lands, so they may all be protected equally, and it also led to a great tragedy. After the Rift events the high elves responded quickly and decisively, studying the portals and seeking to prevent more from opening and unleashing something more terrible upon the world. However, their research instead weakened the fabric of reality, leading to a massive breach in the heartlands to what they have termed “The Far Realms”. From the breach have spilled countless abominations and aberrant creatures, many with incomprehensible powers and abilities. After a bloody struggle, the elves were able to contain the breach, keeping the worst monstrosities from entering the world, but they have never been able to close it fully. Instead they have sealed the breach and the city in a massive magical barrier, to limit the damage until they can seal it forever.

The breach has had many strange effects on the elves, many high elven children are born with strange mutations, some even with powers garnered from the “Taint” as it is now known. Nothing the elven mages try seems to be capable of combating this, though Taints gained later in life are curable. The Taint and the sealing have had may effcts on the high elf society, forcing many to remain on the ground, the city now resembles more closely a beautiful human city. Also, though martial proficiency is important, the difficulty some have with such tasks have allowed for magical proficiency to supercede it in importance for the coming of age ceremonies.

Hoping for some clue the High Elves have sought the reclusive Drow, or Shadow Elves. When the breach first broke, it did so in the middle of a heavily populated area. All of the people in the area should have been destroyed in the devastating blast. However, one of the Elven Goddesses saw what was coming, and in a desperate attempt to save her people threw herself between the Far Realm energies and those elves caught in the blastzone. The Taint infused her, twisting her body into a half-spider monstrosity and driving her mad with fell whispers of betrayal and fear. So was born Lolth, paranoid, dangerous, and mortal foe to the Far Realms. Those in her shadow during the transformation were stained by it, their skin blackened, their hair whitened, as though everything had been flipped. The sun burns their eyes, now sensitive to the light, and they retreated underground, taking the fight to the worst of the abominations hiding there. Unlike their brethren on the surface, the drow do not suffer from the Taint. It is believed that the massive exposure that Lolth protected them from has inoculated their system, protecting them from further damages. The cost was heavy though.

On her best days Lolth remembers her past life, her love for the world and its people that she sacrificed everything for. On her worst days she believes every being has betrayed her and seeks her death, perhaps even herself seeking to destroy her. Her people have grown under the effects of their mad goddess, paranoia, betrayal and intricate plans and counter-plans are staples of Drow society. The best remain friendly, in their own twisted way, but they are easily turned into deadly enemies. Acting as a liason between Lolth and the other elven gods is Vhaeraun, Lolth's son, who wears a half mask. It is said the mask allows Vhaeraun to change his identity, allowing him to weather his mother's paranoia when she inevitably turns against him. Vhaeraun and his followers hope to reunite all the elves at some point, but many question if that is his true purpose, or even if he is who he claims to be.

The Drow are governed in a House Republic system and Matriarchy. With various regions and duties falling to different houses, the heads of whom meet to discuss overarching policies. It is an unstable and volatile system, but is somehow kept afloat even during the most trying of times.[/sblock]

Dwarves

[sblock]The Dwarves have many cultural features that make them unique, mostly stemming from their choice of home. By living almost entirely underground where there is little sunlight or running water Dwarves have adapted to a diet of fungi, molds, and fermented drink with the occasional meat supplied by deadly cavern dwelling creatures. There are not two races of dwarves, as some believe, living within their mountain kingdom, instead the differences have arisen from an ancient cultural debate as to which traits make the superior warrior. This is a serious subject for the dwarves, whose nation is under constant threat from all sides.

The dwarvenlands are centered around the city of Harth, and it could be accurately said that the city of Harth encompasses all of the dwarven territory. This is not only because Harth is the sacred ground where the Firstborn were forged by Moradin, but because somewhere in the Labyrinthine City lies the entrance to the Dwarven Hoard. Worship of Moradin is centered around the Smith-priests, and every pious dwarf is a smith or jeweler of some caliber. This being the case dwarves have long ago created more objects than they could possible use or sell, and most creations are offered to Moradin as a show of faith. A dwarf is free to do whatever they like with their creations, pass them through family lines, sell them, even give them away, but anything unclaimed or without a proper owner is also given to Moradin. These practices have gone on for countless centuries, and the Hoard where the offerings reside is said to be the largest collection of wealth in the entire world, if not all the planes.

Due to its sacred existence Harth has only been abandoned once in the entire history of the Dwarven people, during the initial goblin invasion. This is the greatest shame of the dwarven people, often referred to as “The Time of the Sundering”. When they retook the city it was sworn that they would never again leave, even if it meant the destruction of their entire race. The dwarven borders are under constant threat though, from Giants, orcs, The Goblin Empire, monsters from the depths, the rare and mysterious “Shadow Elves”, and even human thieves and treasure hunters seeking the fabled Dwarven Hoard.

This constant war has led to an interesting gender divide though. All Dwarven men are required to spend 20 years in either the Stoneguard Army protecting the borders, or within the clergy. The Stoneguard patrols the borders and acts as the first line of defense, and they fall under the command of the Lord Protector Erik Grimbeard, who many outsiders refer to as the Dwarvish King. Many dwarves, seeing this duty as a sacred task serve for much longer, rising through the ranks to oversee the border patrols and command regiments. New recruits are always left under the command of the best commanders, to prevent unnecessary loss of life. With many of the men defending the far-flung borders of Harth the day-to-day running of the city falls to the women who are required to spend 20 years either in the clergy or serving in law enforcement under the rule of High Judge Lian Truthringer, who outsiders often mistakenly refer to as the Dwarvish Queen. This has led many to mistakenly assume she and Erik are wed, which is completely false, and in reality the offices are lifetime elect positions. The police force is often referred to as the Iron Rods or just The Irons, mostly for the cudgels they use when breaking up bar fights caused by off-duty soldiers. The term is used mostly with respect though, as the police force is also the final line of defense for the city proper and they train ferociously to be worth at least three of any regular soldier in combat.

The other major political force is that of the clergy, who rule over the holy smiths and the traders. The ruling group is the Council of Three, with the positions being the Fire, The Hammer, and the Anvil. They are also the keepers of the Archive, the written record of dwarven history and legends. Including the creation of their race. The Legend holds that Moradin (the Soul Forger and God of Protection) forged the Dwarves as a dowry offering for his wife Berronar (the Reverend Mother and Goddess of Healing and Law), breathing a portion of his divine essence into their forms. For many dwarves this means that they hold within themselves the essence of divinity which must be nurtured and stoked into the near-divine status of “Sainthood”. A Sainted dwarf leaves his vessel behind, to watch over the Dwarven people and serve directly under his King and Queen. Sainthood is bestowed for achievements beyond that of ordinary folk, even achievements that are not necessarily “good” in nature as long as a lesson can be learned from it. This means that there are thousands of Dwarven Saints, some more recognized than others. The two most commonly accepted though are Dumathoin, The Silent Keeper, and Abbathor, The Avaricious.

Duamthoin was a dwarf of few words, The Archives claim that he only spoke seven times in his 300 years. He was a simple dwarf, a miner not a warrior, but he felt his duty strongly. One day, deep within a new shaft, a cave-in killed three of Dumathoin's companions and revealed a nest of horrid beasts. A path to escape was clear, and it was a long-term expedition so no one would miss the team for years. No one would have blamed Dumathoin for fleeing; however, the dwarven dead are sacred and fleeing would have left them to be devoured. This Dumathoin could not accept, so armed only with a crude maul Dumathoin stood over his deceased friends, guarding them for 15 years without food or drink until a second team stumbled upon them. Then, wearied from his vigil, Dumathoin fell saying only “Twas Right” before passing on. Moradin. Having seen his dedication, promoted Duamthoin to forever stand guard over the sacred dead.

Abbathor's tale is markedly different, and is instead seen as a cautionary tale. When he lived Abbathor was a master craftsman of vaults and safes, an expert in securing the wealth of others. He was renowned for his skill, but in his heart darkness festered. Abbathor constantly saw the wealth of his brethren, wealth which far exceed his own, wealth they could not protect without his skill and knowledge. As the years passed his bitterness grew, until he began installing secret entrances into his vaults, so that in the dead of night he could slither inside and take precious works for his own. Finally, his pride and greed led him to pierce the sacred depths of the Dwarven Hoard, to steal from Moradin himself. Inside he grabbed a bejeweled dagger and sealed his doom. Furious Moradin descended upon Abbathor for his treachery, and in punishment Moradin cursed him so that the touch of gold and gems was painful to him. Then, he set Abbathor to guard the Hoard, forever in sight of limitless wealth which is forever out of reach. Abbathor winds through the ancient tunnels, dressed only in rags and the dagger which cursed him tight in his grip, a warning to all dwarves of the downfall of greed.[/sblock]

Dragonborn

[sblock]The Dragonborn try not to discuss the origin of their species. If they do it is to speak of old hatreds against the elves and their atrocities, but the origin of the Dragonborn has shaped their cultural identity. Dragonborn constantly strive to prove themselves the best in everything that they pursue. Physical strength and endurance are popular choices but this trait applies to everything from baking to philosophy. As an extension of this the Dragonborn have competitions year-round within their city-state and then every five years a grand competition is held between all of the city-states, with the winners often leaving to prove their skills against other races in other lands.

The dragonborn agreed to take the harsh northern lands as their own after the Goblin War, but were forced even further north when the mad-king Varis led the Human kingdom of Toril against them with the aid of necromancy. The remnants of that war are the Barrow Hills, which the Dragonborn must constantly travel through to contact and trade with other lands. To combat the voracious undead, Priests of Bahamut generally accompany caravans and the southernmost city-state of Plath is the religious center of the Dragonborn.

The lands the Dragonborn now inhabit are a frozen wasteland, with snow-driven plains and glacial mountains rising from the East. To the West lies massive volcanoes, belching smoke and lava. These natural dangers are compounded by the two bordering nations of Ice Giants and Fire Giants. Both have broken the Ordning, the social order of giantkind, by rebelling and seeking to rule over all creatures, including the Cloud Giant Princes who live above the 3 King Mountains. The Dragonborn, being between the two expanding nations, are in a defensive war. Luckily, the Giants are more concerned with crushing their own kin into submission than in conquering the dragonborn, giving the dragonborn a need edge in defending their lands. Their pride prevents the nobility from telling the other nations of their plight, believing that to prove their people the strongest they must not only survive in this wasteland but defeat both giant empires by themselves.

This incredible independence, or stubbornness, is found within their religious structure as well. While they do technically worship the dragon gods Bahamut and Tiamat, they see them more as ultimate forces of nature, the pure essence of the conflicts within the world given form. Thus they do not believe divine power is a gift from these beings, merely that they can call upon the excess power created by their conflict. The dragonborn have never called upon their deities to intercede on their behalf, believing that if there is a challenge they must first attempt alone, then with friends and family, and then as a nation. Only when they have utterly failed on all levels will they call upon the gods, and many believe it would spell the end of the word itself.

A few other notes of the Dragonborn lands. They are divided among 15 city-states, each with it's own nobility and ruled either by a committee or a single powerful family. The harsh conditions of their lands prevent farming, so the majority of their food is meat from the hunting the dangerous beasts which dwell within their territory, from the yetis and winter wolves to the massive Remorhazes and even their White Dragon kin whom they consider to be more beast than dragon.[/sblock]

Orcs

[sblock]While many other races consider the orcs to be uncultured brutes the truth is actually that orcish culture has remained powerful and unchanged for thousands of years. Though it can be a savage and unforgiving culture.

The orcs believe that when the first races were born the gods drew lots to determine where the races would live. However, the other gods tricked the orc god Gruumsh, not wishing for the orcs, whom they saw as ugly and vile, to have a place in the world. Furious Gruumsh struck back against the gods, declaring that if no place would be made for them then the orcs would wage war until all lands were theirs to claim. While Gruumsh raged, for his children were still unable to enter the world, his wife Luthic used her magic to sneak into a deep cave in Arista where she gave birth to the first orcs.

From that day forth the orcs ranged, claiming all lands theirs. Gruumsh ruled the horde with an iron-fist, and set forth these laws: Only the strongest can rule. You may never wield a weapon you did not make yourself. You may never wear armor, unless it is made from a foe who have killed yourself. Women will be subservient to men. They shall focus on raising warriors but they shall not fight themselves. Magic is a crutch for the weak and shall be spurned.

These laws served the orc tribes well, until they encountered the dwarves. Dwarven steel blunted orcish weapons and shredded orcish armor. Despite their greater numbers and ferocity it was clear that the orcs were at an overwhelming disadvantage. Seeing thousands of her children felled Luthic begged Gruumsh to allow the women to join the war with their magic, even if only to heal the warriors they could save. Seconding the Cave-Mother's plea was Ilneval, Gruumsh's second-in-command and chief tactician who saw the potential for victory in Luthic's proposal. Gruumsh refused, declaring nothing could truly stand in the way of his hordes, victory was only a matter of time.

However, the orcs were devastated by their war with the dwarves, and almost completely wiped out when the Goblins swept in from the West. So few were they that even Gruumsh had to swallow his pride and agree to an alliance with their enemies, and make the pact to only conquer westward, leaving his “allies” free from his people's advances. It was their only hope for survival.

The deal though came from Ilneval, and he and Luthic have come to a secret pact. Realizing Gruumsh's pride would destroy their people they have begun chipping away at his commandments, with the realization that they will need to betray their leader when the time is right, to allow the orcs the power to truly rule the world. Now, deep within their caves orc mothers teach new concepts to a slowly evolving breed of orc. Acceptance of Magic, the Strength of Women, The Might of Steel. Slowly and quietly a new age of orcish history is unfolding, and if Gruumsh discovers the plot his fury would shatter his people and their pantheon beyond repair.

Most orc tribes have regained stable numbers, and villages range throughout the valleys and forests of the 3-King Mountains. Each village is lead by an elected chieftain, generally confirmed through a ritualistic bout of wrestling to prove his strength. Each chieftain is a member of the Grand Council, whose leader is picked from amongst them and again confirmed in a wrestling match. The current Council head is Holg of the Shatterhammer Tribe, a staunch conservative but one who honors the alliance pact. He is aging though, and will soon be replaced, an event which fills many with unease.

As it has been said, orcs are very steeped in traditions, and one of the most important is the coming of age ceremony for a young warrior. The warrior is stripped and sent into the wilds for a full week (10 days). Their quest is to kill the deadliest creature they can, to prove their strength to the community. The armor and weapon they make during this journey is considered sacred, and will be used until it is destroyed. Women ceremonies are secretive, and happen deep within caves where no man has ever tread. In these caves women pass on secret knowledge and magic, in case great need arises.[/sblock]

Tieflings

[sblock]Many of the other races are uncertain if the Tieflings are an off-shoot of humans or their own unique race. Both humans and Tieflings are adamant though, they were once one people. However, where some humans claim the Tieflings were corrupted by dark powers after turning away from the gods, Tieflings have a different tale. They recall the last age of their home world, when a terrible foe descended upon the human empires. The power of the gods faltered, debate raged over whether they had been abandoned or merely being tested. The enemy marched ever forward, laying waste to everything before it, and in a desperate gamble the lords of a forgotten empire struck a deal with the powers of darkness, a deal for the power to protect their people and lands. Thus were the Tieflings born of fire and war. The Tieflings of today are divided about how they feel about this tale. Some wonder if the price was too high, especially since they lost the war anyways, and seek redemption from the gods. Others say that the gods abandoned them, betrayed their trust, and it was only through the Tiefling's power that anyone survived, therefore they shun the gods. Instead the seek inspiration from a tale of the last days. They say that when the world fell and the portal opened a group of Tiefling heroes wielding the full might of their people stayed behind to delay the enemy and assure humanity's survival. They are known as “The Lost Legion” and their sacrifice and courage are examples of the best Tielfings can be, standing against the tides of evil where even the gods tremble.

Because of the very divisive nature of the Tiefling relationship with both other Tieflings and humans there are two unique institutions. One is the secret village of Zoldyck, a Tiefling only area where those hunted by zealots or who have suffered greatly can find peace and security. The second is the group calling itself the Duskblades, who act in two ways. First, they hunt down Tieflings who would turn towards evil and tyranny, as this will harm other Tieflings who would suffer the reprisals of the churches. Second, they battle with human groups dedicated to “cleansing” Tiflings in the name of some greater good.

Unlike the other races Tieflings do not have a unified government or organization, except for the two mentioned above. Mostly the Tieflings are ruled under the same government as the humans. A community might have special rituals or celebrations that are unique to it and not shared by any other community. “The Festival of Remembrance” is a common celebration of the sacrifice of the The Lost Legion, and it is widely observed. Tiefling communities generally do not have coming of age ceremonies, as an individual's childhood ends depending on their unique circumstances. [/sblock]

Humans

[sblock]The human kingdom of Toril is the newest power in Arista, but it is one of the most vital. It was created as a buffer zone between the Dragonborn and Elvish empires and also placed in front of the mysterious and dangerous Beastlands. The human's control Grimsdell Wood as well, to aid the orcs and dwarves in containing the Goblin Empire. How the human's actually patrol and protect the wood is a matter of speculation, but everyone knows that most who enter the wood without royal permission never return. Despite it being a fact that human society is the most religiously devout they are also incredibly devoted to arcane studies, believing that the arcane power is a gift from the gods meant to either ascend to stand beside their deities or to simply be used a weapon in their wars on the dark forces. The degree from which one focuses on the divine or the arcane can vary widely from individual to individual but most wizards do still worship to some degree. The lack of a deity of magic or of the ancient primal arts has led to significant debate as to the morality of the pursuit of these arts, but with the kingdom ruled by the arcane Witch-Kings it is a minor philosophical point to all but the most zealous. The rule of an arcane power in a culture devoted to the divine may seem strange, but the system was devised by Timothy the Sage to prevent religious debates amongst the churches from destroying their fledgling kingdom. By tradition the monarch is neutral in regards to the gods, either worshiping all or none in equal measure. The current Witch-King is Thaddeus Cromwell and is generally regarded as a fair and competent ruler. His wife died some years ago during a Troll hunt in the western foothills, and his heir Evalynn hasn't been seen much by the public since then, most likely kept within the castle for her own safety.

One the most fascinating aspects of human culture is the breadth and depth of their pantheon and their acceptance of deities seen as dark and even evil by outsiders. They also divide their pantheon of 13 major deities into various substructures, which no other race has ever felt the need to do. The first substructure is “The Triad of the Heavens”: Pelor, Selûne, and Shar. Pelor is the god of The Sun and Healing, and is commonly worshipped amongst all levels of society. Selûne is the goddess of the Moon, Stars, and Love. She is often shown at Pelor's side, standing together against various foes. Shar is the Goddess of Loss and the endless darkness between the stars, she is Selûne's twin sister and a complicated figure. On one hand she is the goddess of mourners and is often called upion in the days following funerals or great tragedies. However, Shar's own grief has evolved into an all-consuming night and her most zealous followers believe endless pain and loss, followed by oblivion is the true path of humanity. Most people though simply pray that The Lady of Loss will one day smile again and hope to stand by her as she stood by them in their grief.

The second major substructure is the Four Corners of Law and War: Helm, Bane, Rao, and Arveene. Helm is the God of Justice and Guardians and is usually seen as the Shield of Humanity. However, Helm's most devout believe the Law is an iron framework, unbending and unforgiving with strictly divided hierarchies. This dichotomy also plays into Helm's opposing force, Bane the god of War and Tyranny. Bane's goal is the complete subjugation of all people under his banner. If Helm is the Shield, Bane is the Sword. Many of Bane's more moderate worshipers though point out that Bane accepts all races and people, and judges them on ability alone. They also state that the empire Bane seeks is a necessary measure to prepare the world for the Great Wars to come and ensure humanity's continued existence. Somewhat opposed to both deities is Rao, the God of Peace and Reason. Roa's followers are more united than the others, but their doctrine is not exactly as one might first assume. Raon's understand that sometimes force is the only option, and will fight when all other avenues of resolution have failed. However, they believe that true lasting peace is only possible through reason and understanding and thus seek to spread understanding between opposing parties wherever they go. The final deity of the Quartet is Arveene, the Breaker, Goddess of Individuality, Retribution, and Liberty. Arveene stands in opposition to Bane, but also to Helm whose laws she sees as oppressing the weak. She has no personal quarrel with Rao, but her violent nature and refusal to compromise keep them at odds. Arveene is one of two deities who it is known ascended from mortality to divinity. Legend holds that Arveene's family was destroyed by Bane. Vowing herself to destroy the Black Lord Arveene began a one woman war, nearly ended in single-combat against Bane himself. However, she was defeated, and cast down the mountain on which Bane's keep resides. Despite her broken body Arveene's spirit and oath remained strong and she somehow ascended to divinity to continue her war against oppression of all kinds.

The remaining deities have various combinations, but one of the more common is the Triad of Civilization and The Mysterious Ones. The Triad consists of Oghma, Fharlanghan, and Waukeen. Oghma is the God of Knowledge and Invention, Fharlanghan of Travelers and Exploration, and Waukeen is the Goddess of Trade, Merchants and Shopkeepers. The three hold an extremely tight alliance, as their domains support and uplift each other.

The Mysterious Ones are Vecna, The Raven Queen and Mask. Vecna is the God of Secrets and was once human before becoming an Arch-lich and then a God. The Raven Queen is the Goddess of Death and Fate, she who ensures the souls of the dead find their final resting place. While Vecna's worship may be used to protect important secrets and keep knowledge hidden, The Raven Queen's followers instead focus on the preservation of Fate. They believe that Death is a natural and important end, and that The Raven Queen guides and protects the souls from the Demons who would seek to devour them. They also claim she holds sway over the Fates of all things, including other deities and that is why her true name has been stricken from existence. The final deity, Mask, rules over thieves and shadows. It is said that neither Vecna nor Oghma know Mask's identity, gender, or plans. Mask moves in absolute secrecy, but it is known that the deity respects ambition, luck, and cleverness and that if you achieve high enough you may find yourself playing a part in one of the incomprehensible plans of the Shadow Lord. [/sblock]

Halflings

[sblock]The Halflings are both the quietest and loudest of all the races. They are travelers, peddlers, and entertainers. Instead of cities Halflings live in caravans, constantly moving from one area to another. Despite this, if pressed, non-halflings could say little about what halflings are like, because they are such an insular race. They will trade, entertain, and almost anything else with the other races but they do not allow many inside their trust and inner circles. This is a calculated move by the Halflings, to protect them and their families. This dichotomy between the public and private lives of Halflings is almost all-encompassing. The truest aspect of this is also the Halfling's greatest secret.

The Halfling's have only one deity, the goddess of protection and lawfulness, Yondalla, who is the Shield of the Halfling people. However, Yondalla has a second side, the Goddess Dallah Thaun who is the dark aspect of Vengeance and Theft. When a halfling caravan is attacked or wronged Yondalla's followers will care for the wounded and rebuild. Dallah Thaun's followers will disappear into the night, seeking vengeance and recompense, to make those responsible know the foll of attempting to prey on the Halflings. The secrecy of Dallah Thaun's existence is paramount, and any Halfling who reveals her will be hunted and killed, as well as anyone who might have learned or heard the secret. Her secrecy is a defense , if confronted the Halflings can honestly say they follow Yondalla, who everyone knows is a goddess of good and law, keeping her dark side in the shadows where she can do the work that is necessary to keep her people safe.

One of the most important times in a Halfling's life is their First Performance. Until that time a Halfling is considered a child, and works under the supervision of an adult. The Performance can be anything, from the lead in a play, a solo musical, or even selling trinkets of their own design, but it is the first time they are allowed outside of the protection of the adults. Sometimes, after this trial, a Halfling decides to leave their home caravan, to see the world on their own, bringing back important ideas and trade secrets. The only other time a Halfling has been known to willingly leave their caravan is when they fall in love with a member of a different caravan during a rare meeting of two traveling clans. Such unions are seen as especially blessed, more so as they also give the Halflings the opportunity to perform for an audience as keen and quick-witted as themselves, a true test of skill. The only other time this occurs is during the Carnivál, a once a decade event where all the caravans and lone Halflings gather together in a secret valley in the White Tip Mountains, the same place where a portal dropped them centuries before, to share news both joyous and tragic and celebrate in a month-long nonstop party.[/sblock]

Goliath Herds

[sblock]The Goliaths of the Aorth Desert are a tough and hardy nomadic people. The Goliaths “Herds” move through their desert homeland with ease, traveling swiftly under the desert sun with no regard to it’s fierce heat. Herds are small, close-knit communities of around 50 to 100 individuals, generally made up of two to five different extended families.

One quick design note, I could not place Goliaths in the mountains as they are traditionally in DnD. I already had orcs, dwarves, giants and giant-kin roaming the mountains, adding Goliaths as well felt like pushing it too far. Instead I placed them in a Desert, away from the other races, and also changed their cold climate ability to a desert climate ability, while keeping all the other stats.

Goliaths have a complicated relationship with possessions. Certain things such as food, water, or pack animals are property for the entire herd and are shared without question. Prized weapons or jewelry are precious to the individual who owns them, but can easily have ten or more owners in a ten-day. This stems from the Goliath’s fierce and joyful competitiveness and penchant for gambling. It is not uncommon for a wrestling match or race to have a quarter of the herd gambling weapons, jewels, or anything else on the outcome. This rarely leads to trouble unless the contest is between two separate herds, as a single herd will always provide for its members. Also, most Goliaths are self-aware enough not to gamble away their last meal or only weapon in the harsh desert climates for no reason. Though possession is so fluid , theft and hoarding are very serious offenses, generally punishable by death. Theft shows either an unwillingness to compete or a disregard for the victor’s right to their prize and hoarding shows a willingness to sacrifice the entire herd for your own safety.

Due to their need to travel relatively light (Goliaths are much stronger than most other races due to their large size and dense build) Goliaths put great prominence on oral histories, songs, and poetry as opposed to a written record. Along with ancient legends Goliaths often recount great deeds or the locations of important geologic features. Goliath lore speaks of the Mother of Sands, who arose and created the harsh land they live in. The stories differ as to why, some claim it a test of the people, others that she hoped to destroy all life. Whatever the true origin of the tale, she represents the fierce strength and cruelty of the desert, and is respected and honored. Her opposite is the Mother of Waters and her many daughters, who created and maintain the life giving oases. Each oasis is said to be the home of one of the daughters, and is named accordingly. The only male figure in Goliath myths is The Sun-Father, whose harsh gaze watches over the herd as it travels and protects them from the monstrous beasts which prowl the lands.

Goliaths really do not have any rituals of adulthood as the other races do, once a child is strong enough to run with the herd, they do, once a child is confident enough to compete, they do, once a child is prepared to fight, they do. One ritual of great importance does occur three days after the birth of a child. The child is given over to the spirit-speaker, who then tattoos them with elaborate patterns and symbols meant to represent their fate as determined by the spirits. These tattoos are sacred, and a Goliath never allows themselves to be tattooed or marked again. The worst thing that could happen to a Goliath is a scar that damages the tattoos, breaking the line of fate that guides them through life and death.

Goliath herds cross paths upon occasion, though most do not have a set range of paths, instead relying upon the spirit-speaker to choose a path based upon the clouds, winds and sun. Generally such meetings are a time for telling and competition, though it is not unheard of for bitter rivalries or insults to lead to physical confrontation. Most disputes are settled by clan elders, who hear all sides and decide on either punishment or competition to settle the dispute. Once every three years as many herds as possible gather at the Oasis Teirnei, the largest oasis in the desert. The Great Conclave is a time of remembrance, sport, trade and also the time when all the clan elders gather to discuss the future of their people and settle disputes that could not be handled by a single tribe.[/sblock]

Genasi

[sblock]To understand the Genasi people you must understand the gleaming city of Mahendrapvarta, and to understand the city requires knowledge of the Great Bell Plateau, which means we must first discuss Nikita and the Great War.

When the first Genie lords arose from the Elemental Planes, they claimed not only dominion of all they could see, but supremacy of honor and nobility. This was not too difficult to maintain as new Genie arose around them, as simple conflicts resolved the question if supremacy. However, when the four Genie empires encountered each other for the first time the foundations for their supremacy was shaken. The only solution seemed to be forced subservience, and thus the Great War of the Genies began.

To the outside historian the war would seem a petty thing, a few minor skirmishes, not many troops deployed or any serious loses. The truth is much more terrifying, for each of the sides had access to the Wish ability, and freely altered reality to destroy and subjugate their enemies. It is impossible to know the toll of the war, as many of its victims simply ceased to exist. In fact, the very first assault of the war was the four great leaders of the Genie wishing his enemies from existence. The four conflicting wishes collided in a cataclysmic clash whose effects are little understood.

During the war, a mortal by the name of Nikita was born. Little is known of her origin or race, some believe her an avatar of Fate, sent to save reality from the madness of the war. Knowing that she would need to prove herself before any of the Great Leaders would listen to her, Nikita submitted herself to slavery at the hands of each of the leaders for ten years. The order of her servitude varies from telling to telling, but all acknowledge that she served with such dignity amd honor that each of the Genie Leaders, including the Great Khan of the Dao and the Grand Sultan of the Efreeti, offered her a boon. With this promise in hand, Nikita summoned each of the Great Leaders to a barren rock on the Prime Material plane. Sitting between the four enemies Nikita pled her case, stating each lord's great nobility and their faults, speaking of the great harm inflicted by their war and of the inevitable end of the conflict. The complete destruction of all reality. Then she asked her boon, a promise that no Genie shall ever again grant their own wish or that of their kin, and as proof of their sworn word they would each gift her a portion of their soul.

They acquiesced, either from fear of oblivion or love for Nikita (who it is rumored also gave birth to four Genasi children, one for each of the lords) and from their souls she crafted a bell, to sound if any Genie violated the pact. Nikita made her home, and eventually her grave, upon the Plateau and held court with many Genie to settle internal disputes, for with open warfare no longer palatable an unbiased arbiter was the best solution available to them.

The Great Bell Plateau is the result of these visits from the Elemental planes. With a myriad of permanent portals to all four of the planes life has exploded into a variance and fertility seen no where else in the multiverse. Massive fruit hangs from towering trees with strange beasts prowling the twilight undergrowth. Plants which move and hunt as beasts do, and many other strange and wondrous things.

At the fot of the Plateau is the city of Mahendrapvarta, the gleaming city from which Genasi continue Nikita's work of arbitration for the great empires of the Genie. Mahendrapvarta is technically claimed by all four empires, but kept as purely neutral ground. As such each of the Great Leaders (who are different leaders than those of Ancient Nikita's time) appoints two viziers to represent them and run the daily operations of the city and its defenses. This council of Viziers employs a larger bureaucracy to handle the numerous complaints and legal files of their rulers. However, only so much work can be provided by this purpose, leaving the majority of the Genasi population to find their own purposes and pursuits. Many take on lives as craftsmen or artists, for they have easy access to the greatest Forges, Bazaars, Mines, and Ocean of the planes as well as an endless base of planar beings looking for riches or excitement. The Genasi's own lives are also filled with the same decadence, as Mahendrapvarta is paved in precious metal and stone and the scent of incense pervades streets filled with delight and distraction.

The Genasi have a strange relationship with the concepts of Freedom and Servitude. Genies are well-known amongst the planes as slavers, but slavery for Genies is more about the honor of owning skilled or exceptional individuals than forced labor. Even the Efreeti and Dao have distinctions between “worker slaves” and “household slaves”. This, combined with the position of service Genasi already hold, has led to an “honored servant” mentality amongst the population. Genasi feel most secure in knowing they are “owned” by a powerful or respected Genie, while Genie recognize great honor can come from high-ranking “slaves” in the city of Mahendrapvarta. To facilitate this every Genasi child has both a contract and a ledger written for them at birth. The contract is to be given to an owner, generally after the details have been polished and gone over. The ledger is to record important deeds or misdeeds in the Genasi's life, to keep track of their relative value and standing. Many Genasi feel cast adrift or lost without someone to hold their contract, wondering what it means to their worth and if they may be claimed by a cruel or demanding master instead of a distant or benevolent one, for the desperate and unworthy have no protection from such fates.

In addition to the documentation of their lives Genasi have a strong tradition of tale-telling and long, epic histories filled with details and references. This is necessary when dealing with near immortal beings whose long memories mean that the complex series of events that make up the past are still fresh in present discussions.

Great value is also placed in individualized service or perspectives. A blade made by a Genasi smith is made for a specific individual, focused to fit them and their style to perfection and unwieldy to any other. To serve to perfection, to the point where you know what is needed and have it prepared before it is asked for, is one of the highest honors a Genasi can achieve. Another is perfection of their art or craft. Achieving great skill or great deeds to add to your ledger, increasing their worth and value.

After their death a Genasi contract is held for ten years (in case of resurrection) and then destroyed. At that point their ledger is then placed in the Tombs, a massive archive built into the ancient bedrock and tunnels of the Plateau. The Ledgers are organized by the greatest achievements and values, and kept preserved so that all can remember their deeds. Families often keep detailed lists of where relatives ledgers are stored so that the children can go and read the achievements of their ancestors and learn what it means to be a worthy Genasi. [/sblock]

Last edited:

Chaosmancer

Legend
Kingdoms and their Structures

This area is incomplete, in my actual notes this is the last section. Some of the details are being created during play as my players explore and others have been pre-planned. This will also have a few entries with no details as they are placeholders in my current notes.

Human Kingdom of Toril

[sblock]Ruled by the Witch-King Thaddeus Cromwell, who was killed the night before the campaign begins by Goblin Assassins. Thaddeus' wife died during a Troll Hunt some years before. The Heir is Princess Evalynn Cromwell (15 years old) who was secretly touring the countryside to better understand the lives of the people. She was escorted by Lady Agatha Plumark (30 years old), Knight of the Realm. They were discovered in Gâle after it was sacked. Lady Agatha was seriously wounded (back injury sustained while fighitng left her Paraplegic). They just were returned to the Capitol after the First Siege of Bastmul through a Gate created with the assistance of an elven noble (player)

Churches are a major political power in the Kingdom. Many firstborn sons of nobility leave to join the clergy. Second and third sons join either the army or become scholars. These are of course ideals, and carousing and entertaining is still a large part of some of their lives.

Using a Fealty system, Lords owe fealty to king and most people who live upon the land owe fealty to the lord of that land.

There are 10 major noble houses:

Bancaph
Drainsler
Rothwin
Plumark: Closest to the Barrow Hills
Ranbrand
Bastmul: Neighbors to Silverhall, live Northeast in Fort Bastmul, currently under siege by portion of Goblin Army. Previous Lord Bastmul commited suicide during the siege, leaving his son Taman as Lord.
Rosenmount: Worshippers of the Goddess Loviatar, minor goddess of Pain and Suffering. Believe that only through experiencing pain can truth be known. More self-flagellation than large scale torture of innocents.
Marshson
Seariddle: Found near the “big Lake” which is largest body of water currently known. Lake caused by Glacial run-off
Silverhall: Ruled over Gâle, destroyed in the sacking of the city. Possible that an heir remains elsewhere.

Capitol City of Toril is Casoria

There is a forest in the kingdom known as the Deep Wood. It is a crossing point into a small section of the Feywild. Used to be home to a dryad. Now home to a Hag who has captured the dryad, who is a servant to the Princess of Thorns, and is using her Tree as a home.

Human Kingdom is home to mostly humans, but also Teiflings. Other races are welcome but rarely make a permanent home within the Kingdom.

Random places:

Village of Princeps, near Gale was ransacked.

Raul: Minor City also near gale, ransacked.[/sblock]

Dwarven Holy Land of Harth

[sblock]The Dwarven City of Harth is also the Dwarven Kingdom. Harth occupies an entire hollowed out mountain as well as some distance away in underground tunnels and mines.

The histories and legends of the Dwarves are known as the Archives. A massive underground system of tunnels where historians carve all details of dwarven life into stone. It is located near the burial chamber, where dwarven dead are sealed within the stone of the mountain.

The “King” of the Dwarves is known as the Lord Protector, he is in charge of the army and foreign policies. The Current Lord Protector is Erik Grimbeard. His wife is Lady Nora Grimbeard.

The “Queen” of the Dwarves is known as The High Judge, she is in charge of domestic policies and the police force. The current High Judge is Lian Truthringer. Her husband is Lord Ikar Truthringer.

The third major political group is the Council of Three, who are in charge of the Holy Smiths and the Traders. The Current Council is Durkin Strongarms (man), Tyr Rustclip (man), and Kel Silverrain (women).

Every dwarven man spends either two decades in the army or two decades in the clergy. Every women spends either two decades in the police or two decades in the clergy. This time is generally served consecutively and early in a dwarf's life so that they may pursue their true goals in relative peace afterwards.

Dwarves drink an alcohol they brew from funguses that grow underground. They do this because safe drinking water is hard to come by due to stagnation.

Time is measured in Harth by a giant clockwork machine, built by the Council smiths and some gnomish scholars centuries ago. Dwarves only did this because the elves insisted on tracking time so precisely and because the Dwarves figured it would help trade relations. In general Dwarves care little for the passage of time, there are no official dwarven holidays or religious ceremonies (their lives are worship in and of themselves after all). Most dwarves only celebrate important events within the clan: Births, marriages, deaths, ect. There is a major “Trade Festival” every year though, with every decade masters and artists showcasing their most recent masterpieces.

Current Dwarven Clans

Grimbeard: Current Lord Protector
Truthringer: Current High Judge
Strongarms: Current Council seat, famous for Smithing
Rustclip: Current Council seat, powerful merchant clan
Silverrain: Current Council seat, famous for intricate work and jewelry
Ravenway: live near peak of mountain
Dustson
Muckford: Mushroom farming and brewing
Darkpick: Mining family[/sblock]

Feylands

[sblock]The Elvish histories and legends are known as The Cycles, an oral and written tradition that is passed down from the old to the young.

Revis is the Capitol city of the Feylands, however it is sealed off to outsiders. The gate city which leads to Revis acts as the capitol for the purposes of meeting with the Queen for an audience.

King Riardon lives within Revis, fighting off the hordes from the Far Realms.

Queen Luaf lives in the gate city. She does have the Taint in a minor way, she has suckers instead of fingertips which she hides with gloves. She is also a few months pregnant.

Major elvish houses include

House Plarté – High Elf House
House Rurvaik-Wood Elf house
House Selu'taar: High Elf House which player belongs to. A high magic noble line, where the combination of dragon and elf is deemed more successful, commonly leading to the birth of Dragon Sorcerers within the family.

Gnomish Dean of the Academy is Alston “Onehsoe” Dimble Nyx Roondar Murnig

The Gnomish Family Medlew runs the Divine Dew Brewery, and makes the finest wines and brews in the world. Including the coveted Goldleaf vintage.

Border city: Vale, most common border passage between human kingdom and feylands[/sblock]

Dragonborn Republic

[sblock]Current city-states of the Republic (15 total)

Plath: Southernmost city, religious center and entrance to the Barrow Hills
Loch:
Scornridge: Built where an elder white dragon was killed, building made out of it's skull
Kailbre:
Gardenia: Hot springs provide enough warmth for farming, making this the agricultural center
Chal
Fretchwal[/sblock]

Orc Tribes

[sblock]The orcs ruled by a Grand Council of Chieftains, chieftains and council leader are elected and confirmed through ritualistic wrestling. The current Council Leader is Holg from the ShatterHammer tribe. He is aging, and is seen as a great leader, if a little too peaceful for the orc's taste.

Other Tribes include:

Rainridge tribe
Nawl tribe
Icefang tribe: Lives in the Whitetip mountains, arctic tribe. Chief Whitehide
Doomhowl tribe: Chief Kargras, tribe famous for working with wolves, player character belongs to tribe. Kargras works with a mated pair of alphas instead of just a single wolf

Player has a "dead" wife who was killed when he was captured by slavers. I decided she didn't actually die and was instead saved by Luthic and has become a prophet advocating change before the next great Goblin war destroys the Orcish people. Her name is Aisha. [/sblock]

Goblin Empire

[sblock]Goblin King is a Lich named King Snuff. He claims to be the Voice of Maglubiyet, but he takes orders from a coven of Aboleths which reside deep beneath his personal chambers, they are the ones who granted him lichdom.

The General of the Goblin army is General Ironfist, a hobgoblin with an iron golem arm.

The army is divided into different regiments, marked with their own badges and insignia. Some of these may become important[/sblock]

The groups below currently have nothing written down. I will fill in details at a later date. The last two I'm adding as of the Elemental Evil PDF. All the groups below will exist on the far side of the Goblin Empire, where there will be a desert and the ocean. I might also have an outpost below the feylands, back through ancient forests full of ruins from the glory days of the Elven Empire, and eventually emptying out into the coast where Yuan-ti settlers believe they have discovered uninhabitated lands.

Yuan-Ti Kingdom

[sblock]Due to the Yuan-Ti not being a player race, I will place notes on their culture here. At least temporarily.

The Yuan-Ti legends speak of a World Serpent, who twined throughout the planes. Then a cataclysm struck and the Serpent was sundered into many parts. The four greatest parts are Dendar, She who Devours Dreams, Apep, He who Devours Lands, Wadjeet, She who Devours Sickness, and The First Mother, She who Devours Herself. The Mother gave birth to three daughters, who in turn begetted the Lamias. Dendar settled in the Outer Planes, slipping in and out of reality to eat of the world and grow in strength, but Apep and Wadjeet needed more. They settled in the Prime Material plane, waiting and sleeping. Eventually, they were found by the Yuan-Ti people, who had been driven and cast adrift without a home for many centuries. The Yuan-Ti worshiped these Serpents, elevating Apep to a God of War and Kingship and Wadjeet to a Goddess of Water and Healing. In return the Yuan-Ti were honored, allowed to drink the blood of their gods which altered them and gave them the strength to defend their new lands. They also learned the desires of their gods and the fate of the world. Each of the Four Great Serpents was growing in power, devouring that which their progenitor had lost. Eventually, they would meet in an epic clash, devouring one another and being devoured in return to revive the Great World Serpent, destroying the world in the process.

The Yuan-Ti seek to aid their gods (after all, the destruction of the world will occur one way or another) and practice sacred rites of Devouring, where they consume lesser serpents, honored individuals, and great leaders. Once a season, and once on each holy day, volunteers submit their names to the temples hoping to be selected as a sacrifice. Once chosen they are prepared, killed, and then devoured by the community to spread their essence amongst the people, honoring and strengthening them. An unwilling sacrifice is never chosen, as it would taint the rapture and honor of the sacred ceremony. The Yuan-Ti who die without being chosen are sacrficed to the gods, returning all they have devoured during their life to their patron, generally Apep or Wadjeet.

Yuan-Ti society is divided into three tiers: The Thin-Bloods, the half-Bloods, and the Full-Bloods. Thin-Bloods are the lowest tier, having only received a small amount of the god’s blessing they remain looking as their ancestors did, similiar to long, thin humans, with only some of snake-like features such as vestigial scales, fangs or eyes. The Thin-Bloods are often sent out as envoys or colonists, since their loss is less damaging to the gods. Thin-Bloods often sacrifice lesser serpents, hoping to thicken the sacred blood within them, allowing their children to be born as Half-Bloods. The Half-Bloods have major snake features, but it varies greatly between the individual. Some have snake heads, others have snakes as arms, and others have snake tails instead of legs, resembling their cousins the Lamia. More than one unsuspecting Yuan-Ti has been devoured by a vicious Lamia, mistaking her for a Half-Blood female. The Leaders of the Yuan-Ti and most sacred people are the Full-Bloods, whose bodies are perfect and beautiful blends of snake and ancestor. As they contain the most bountiful sacrifice to the gods they are fiercely protected and rarely leave the cities to venture to the lands beyond.They also tend to sacrifice only Half-Bloods or Thin-Bloods of great worth.[/sblock]

Lamias

Goliath Herds

[sblock]Notes on Herds and important figures upcoming[/sblock]

Genasi City of Mahendrapvarta

Last edited:

Chaosmancer

Legend
Cosmology of Arista

I spent a lot of time here, because while every DM advice column I have ever seen says start small and build, I find it difficult to build if I do not have the larger context figured out. Also, I know very, very little of DnD planar lore. I've mostly just looked at the 3.X and newer core books, so details of who some of these names and their plots are have escaped me. This was a great opportunity not only to learn and condense this information from the Internet, but also to change stuff and make it more mine. I'll admit, most of the details of the Demons and Devils is just copied and pasted, not all, but a lot. My true pride though comes in with the Faerie and the Shadowfell, because I could find next to nothing published so I started painting and plotting for myself.

This section is not easily divided, I wrote it like a history in some respects, so bear with me.

Opening and Astral Sea

[sblock]A note: I wanted to set the original world as diametrically oposed. Looking at the lore, demons live in an infinite realm and spawn naturally within it. The origins of the gods are unknown. From this and the concepts of positive planes and negative planes I had an idea. The original cosmology was quite simple. An infinite, ever-expanding realm for the gods and their forces, and an infinite shrinking realm for the demons. Like an ever-expanding cosmos, with a super massive black hole at one "end". It felt thematically appropriate.

To understand the cosmos it is sometimes best to begin at the end, the farthest reaches. The Far Realms are alien places, home to Elder Evils, such as the Great Mother, and insane monstrosities. Opening a portal to this realm could spell doom and destruction for countless cities, and possibly the world.

Next in is the Astral Sea, the home of the Outsiders: The Gods, angels, demons, devils and their kin. The divine realms of the Gods are infinitely large and each god has their own personal domain. Celestial beings usually make their homes in either a god's realm or in minor dominions found between realms where they can watch the world and defend it from outside threats. The Abyss is infinitely small, vanishing into a speck at the end of the Astral Sea. The demons who spawn in its depths gain power through destruction and the Demon Lords who rule within seek to tear down everything in existence. Some do this from insanity, others with the belief that once everything is destroyed they will have power beyond imagining. The Divine Realms and the Abyss have been at war since time immemorial, each working their own agenda with regards to the mortal plane.

The conflict moved in the favor of the divine forces when the first mortals appeared from the elemental chaos. These beings held tremendous potential power, and by seeking them as worshippers the gods grew powerful enough hold the demons at bay and away from the foundations of the world. Seeing this a young being, some say a demon some say something else, sought out a mortal and struck a bargain. From this meeting came Asmodeus who forged the Nine Hells from the Abyss and the Elemental Chaos. From here he has gathered power, drawing in lost mortals, special demons and errant celestials to form a new army, an army which countered the gods new strength but also crushed the demon hordes. This three-way tie has persisted until the present day and most likely will continue until the end of days.[/sblock]

Figures of the Abyss

[sblock]Demogorgon and Orcus are two of the most powerful Demon Lords within the Abyss.

Demogorgon is an insane being of destruction; split nearly in half in an ancient battle, it is possible that if his two sides were ever recombined his power would become unstoppable. Demogorgon is clever and cunning, but constantly squabbles and plots against himself. He is also a being of ravenous hungers and endless destruction which even puts other demons to shame. Description: The demon towers a full eighteen feet in height, his body at once sinuous like that of a snake and powerful like that of a great ape. Two baleful baboon heads leer from atop his lumbering shoulders, from which writhe two long tentacles. His lower torso is saurian, like some great reptile with an immense forked tail.

Orcus is a Demon Lord obsessed with the undead, and was the creator of the Ghouls and other foul creatures. Orcus has no qualms about using his power as a hammer to crush others despite his clever and intelligent nature. Orcus despises the living and his goal is to kill everything and rule the corpse-world which would follow. Description: Orcus is typically described as having the head and legs of a goat (with massive fangs), although with ram-like horns, a bloated blood red body, bat-like wings, and a long tail. He stands 14 ft tall.

The Demon Lords Yeenoghu, Baphomet, and Vaprak are the next most powerful demons. While each is probably individually weaker than Orcus or Demogorgon they are unique in that each has a race of mortal creatures created in their own image to augment their own power.

Yeenoghu created the Gnolls, and his highest worshippers can create more of their kin by feeding their kills to hyenas. Known as the Beast of Slaughter, Yeenoghu pushes these followers into slaughtering everything they can, spreading filth, disease and terror with a massive horde. Description: Yeenoghu combines the worst features of a gnoll and demon in one immense form. Standing 12-foot-tall, his body is gaunt and lanky, and patches of yellow fur stained with brown spots cover him. Leprous gray skin and suppurating wounds mar his body, revealing the corruption of his flesh and spirit. His head is a large, anthropomorphic hyena’s, with glowing red eyes and a toothy maw from which spills strings of drool.

Baphomet created the Minotaurs, twisting mortals seeking freedom into monstrous flesh-eating beasts. Minotaurs are massive, ferocious monsters who instill terror by hunting mortals in twisting mazes that they have memorized and following only their base animal lusts. Cults to Baphomet perform dark rituals where humanoids are twisted into Minotaurs by devouring the flesh of other humanoids. Description: Baphomet had the appearance of a 12' tall humanoid with a bull's head, a bovine tail, and broad, stubby hands and feet. His body was covered with coarse black hair. His horns curved downward and outward.

Vaprak, the weakest of the three, actually created his race by accident. Though Vaprak has incredible regenerative powers he is a cowardly being at heart, and during one great battle he fled, leaving behind pieces of himself. These pieces eventually grew into trolls, who created more of their kind when their dismembered parts grew new bodies. Description: Vaprak has a humanoid form, 22 feet tall, and colored an exceedingly horrid mottled brown and green, with massive claws, fangs, and a drooping nose.

Amongst the Demon Lords there is one more of note, Graz'zt The Dark Prince. Graz'zt is on the same level as Orcus or Demogorgon in terms of raw might, but his mind and demeanor more closely resemble Asmodeus. Graz'zt seeks to unite all evil beings under him, to create an unstoppable army that will destroy the Divine Realms. He also seeks, much like Asmodeus, to control a multi-layered realm instead of a single layer as his peers do. Graz'zt currently holds three layers under his name, gained through conquest and alliance. While his plans are very similar to Asmodeus' it lacks two things. First, Graz'zt relies on demons and other creatures, he has not created his own powerful beings to rule over. The reason for this is tied closely to the second point. Asmodeus' plan came at great personal cost, nearly killing the Arch-devil and leaving him with grievous wounds which persist to this day. Graz'zt will not take this personal risk, nor will he bind himself to truth as Asmodeus has done. He sees these things as the weakness of a brash being, and unnecessary to achieve his goals. Asmodeus sees Graz'zt as a coward who is unwilling to sacrifice for his plans, but Graz'zt is also the closest rival Asmodeus has within the demon hordes so he watches him closely. Carries an acidic greatsword. Description:Standing nine feet tall, Graz'zt appears as a lithe, muscular humanoid. His skin shines like polished obsidian, and his eyes glitter with malevolent green light. He has yellowed fangs, pointed ears, and six slender fingers decorating each hand. He is sometimes described as having six small black horns half-hidden amid his thick black hair.[/sblock]

The Nine Hells

[sblock]Asmodeus' realm is divided into nine layers, eight of which are ruled by his immediate subordinates, The Archdukes and Duchesses. Asmodeus himself rules from the Ninth layer. The eight Archdevils are named Zariel, Dispater, Mammon, Makanthet (Queen of the Succubi), Levistus, Glasya, Baalzebul, and Mephistopheles. Each layer is only accessible from the layers above and below it, with the exception of Shendilavvri, which has many portals connecting to its pleasure houses.

Zariel rules the wastelands of the First Layer, Avernus, which act as the frontlines of the Nine Hells where many battles are fought. It is common to see armies of Celestials or Demons teeming across the barren fields, waging war on Asmodeus. In the center of the Plane sits the Bronze Citadel, the seat of Zariel's power. Deep within this massive complex, which is filled with demons and war machines, lies the portal to the second layer. Zariel has always been the Archduchess of Avernus, but she was deposed by her lover Bel for thousands of years. Bel ruled and kept power by devouring Zariel's flesh, but in recent times Zariel escaped and deposed her lover. She locked him in the same torture chamber in which she herself was locked and daily enacts her revenge against him. Zariel's body shows the scars inflicted by Bel, and she has yet to regain her full power, but she rules once more and is more deadly than ever. Zariel was actually the first being corrupted by Asmodeus. She was a powerful Angel, and Asmodeus placed her as Gatekeeper of the Abyss both to show his power to his enemies and because her strength was necessary to give him time to build his armies. Description: Due to her scars Zariel often keeps herself covered with a thick crimson cloak. Her face is unmarred, with small golden horns curling under her ears, and long red hair falling down her back. Underneath her cloak are two bone wings, remnants from her fall.

Dispater rules the Iron City of Dis, which is a major gathering point for powerful beings. Dispater is incredibly paranoid and his city is a mass of secret police and and surveillance as well as back room deals. These are useful for his long term convoluted plans, which he executes with calm precision. It is said that the tower in the center of the city acts not only as a hub for these activities but also as a powerful artifact, which as long as Dispater remains within he cannot be killed. Description: This dark-haired, red eyed figure stands just over seven feet tall with gray skin and small horns protruding from his brow. Dressed in regal finery, he carries a long rod capped with a macelike head

Mammon rules over Minauros, a vast swampy realm of endless muck and fog. Within this bog, where corpses are often found, lies the Golden City, a testament to Mammon's vast wealth which constantly sinks into the swamp. It is thought that Mammon built this city as a challenge to Asmodeus, who then shifted the plane to it's current state. Undeterred Mammon constantly builds upon his city, using thousands of slaves to shore it up. Description: This massive fiend has the lower body of a brown-spotted serpent and the upper body of a muscular humanoid with two powerful arms. He stands 10 ft tall, but is easily 20 ft in length. The creature’s bestial head is terrifically monstrous, with a black-lipped maw filled with pointed teeth and a pair of serpent’s fangs. His eyes are pale white, without irises or pupils, yet he seems to see perfectly

Malcanthet rules over the realm of Shendilavvri, a seeming paradise of sensual pleasures. As Queen of the Succubi Malcanthet is a major provider of souls to Asmodues' armies and her realms is a popular destination, either for those who do not care to lose their souls or those who cannot. It is common to find portals into the realm, but difficult to find portals to other layers of the Abyss. The Succubus and their Queen are also Asmodues' greatest spies and he has ordered them to tempt the Demon Lord Graz'zt and keep an eye on him. Description: Malcanthet is an incredibly beautiful human-like female with bat-wings, horns, and a long prehensile tail tipped with a spike-like stinger. However, her shapeshifting and her telepathic abilities mean that few if any see her true form, instead she takes a form pleasing to the viewer

Levistus is the ruler of Stygia, the 5th layer. Stygia is an arctic ocean, with swirling black depths and giant ice floes. Levistus is the most openly defiant of the Archdukes, once seeking to steal Asmodeus' bride and chief consort and turn her against him. The plot ended in the Queen of Hell's death and Asmodeus punished the Archduke by imprisoning him deep within a floating glacier. Since then Levistus has focused all his attention on freeing himself and preventing another from conquering his realm. Description: This tall (7 foot) creature has pale skin, dark hair, and a goatee. He seems human except for his coal-black eyes and pointed teeth.

Glasya is the lady ruling over Malbolge, the sixth layer of the Abyss. Glasya is Asmodeus' daughter and her appointment so close to her mother's killer is no accident. Malbolge has changed hands many times, but Glasya rules with iron-fisted surety in her power. The realm has shaped itself to suit her, becoming a massive cadaver of cavernous rib cages and organs. Her palace is a giant skull, with ten fingers rising before it as towers. Glasya loves torture and political unrest, but is completely loyal to her father. Description: Glasya looks exactly like an exceedingly beautiful human, with luscious mahogany hair—except for her copper skin, wings, forked tail, and horns that betray her true nature

Baalzebul rules the ruins of Maladomini, the 7th layer. Baalzebul is obsessed with perfection and has forced his slaves into building the perfect city. However, Baalzebul is never satisfied with the work and constantly has his realm scrapped and rebuilt. Baalzebul is a powerful archduke with constantly shifting alliances and loyalties. In one of his schemes the Lord of Flies attempted to betray Asmodeus, in retaliation Asmosdeus transformed him into a massive, disgusting slug. Still Baalzebul plotted, biding time and power. Finally, Baalzebul gathered enough power to change his form in defiance of Asmodeus' curse, though he needed an alliance with the ancient Dagon to achieve the feat. His glorious return was short lived though, as expending that much power has left Baalzebul once again weakened and vulnerable, and deals with ancient forces such as Dagon are rarely without cost. (Note: If Baalzebul's new body is destroyed or severely damaged the Demon Lord's true form will be revealed. Dagon's magics have twisted Baalzebul into a gargantuan worm of destruction, nearly 200 ft in length. Asmodeus is aware of this potential, and has prepared counter measures to remove Baalzebul from the Nine Hells if this event should occur) Description: In his new body Baalzebul stands 10 ft tall with skin of flawless alabaster. No crack, crevice, or other imperfection mars his new skin. From his head rise two beautifully spiraling horns.

Mephistopheles rules the frozen realm of Cania, the 8th layer. Though much of the surface of Cania is a massive sheet of ice, Mephistopheles has created the substance “Hellfire” for his followers. Mephistopheles' lair is a massive city with a visible bonfire of Hellfire in the center. This is much like The Lord of No Mercy himself, exterior coldness hiding a raging temper that few see and fewer survive. Description: This diabolical fiend is a nine-foot-tall, has crimson skin, with handsome yet diabolical features that include a set of massive red leathery wings, curling horns, his eyes are white with red irises and pupils, and long, straight black hair. He has huge muscles that befit his great strength, and his speech is whispering wind. Swathed in a flowing black cape, he is the vision of evil.

The 9th layer of Nessus is the darkest and most treacherous of all. The seat of Asmodeus' power Nessus is a landscape of pitfalls and endless ravines. Here Asmodeus holds court, keeps his most powerful artifacts, and plots his various schemes. Description: Asmodeus appears human, 13 feet tall, he has lustrous dark skin and black hair, handsome and dangerous, his crimson eyes shine with infernal power, a pair of small sharp horns crown his forehead. He dresses in regal finery of red and black robes studded with black diamonds and fiery rubies. Beneath his clothing, Asmodeus' body is covered in bloody wounds which he sustained when he created the Nine Hells. His wounds ooze blood daily, logically sapping his strength as he attempts to recover from his ordeal. However, seeing as his power is nearly god-like already, it is inconceivable how strong he would be if he ever truly recovered. [/sblock]

Divine Realms, Elemental Chaos, and Important Elemental Figures

[sblock]Note: The divine realms are very, very sparse at the moment. Every god should logically have a realm, with every pantheon perhpas existing in the same space. Seeing as these are the least likely places for a party to go without a direct plan I've decided to work on these details at a later date. One thing I would like to figure out are the Pillars of Creation I mentioned earlier, cool concept but no idea what it will end up looking like.

The Divine Realms of the Gods are somewhat more simple than their counterparts, but much less is known to be true. What can be confirmed is that each pantheon hosts it's own realm, and each god has their own domain within that realm. The chosen of the gods and the celestials also live in the Divine Realms, some within the realm of specific pantheons and others in the spaces between them. Their is also a treaty preventing direct war amongst the gods as they struggle against the Abyss, The Nine Hells, and the Far Realms. Within the mortal planes much of a god's work is done by the mortals, and powerful mortal agents are more likely to confront great powers than their divine patrons.

Within the astral sea thought begins to turn to matter, and this basic matter takes the form of the four primary elements. The seething cauldron of the Elemental Chaos is broken by four massive planes, where similar elements have coalesced together. Within the Chaos itself nothing rules and few things survive, though immensely powerful beings made be found there, having made their homes far from the conflicts of their native plane.

Within the Elemental Planes reside three factions. There are the Elemental Lords, who rule over the planes with supreme power but take little interest in the doings of other beings. These include: Akadi, Queen of Air, Grumbar, the Earthlord, Istishia, The King of Water, and Kossuth, the Lord of Fire. Each takes a form appropriate to their element, with only the vaguest hints of mortal features. Opposing these beings are the Elemental Princes who, seeking more power, have started cults in the mortal lands. Their goal is all the same, though each works in opposition to the others, they wish to destroy all things, and leave existence in the purity of their element. They are Yan-C-Bin, Prince of Air, Ogrémoch, Prince of Stone, Olhydra, Princess of Water, and Imix, Prince of Flames.

The final faction is that of the Genies, beings of enormous power born from the combination of mortal souls and elemental might. They are aristocrats, wish-makers, and slavers, but even the worst of them are more acceptable than the full brunt of the elements.[/sblock]

Ancient Evils, unclassified and not placed

[sblock]Before moving on it is important to note that there are many beings that defy or do not fit into the structures of the world, many ancient threats and powers which were banished or locked away by Gods, Demon Lords, or Archdevils.

First is Ghaunadar, known as That Which Lurks or the Elder Eye. Ghaunadar is a being of ancient evil and rage, some believing he came to this reality after destroying his own. The Elder Eye has cults across the planes feeding him power, though his purpose remains a mystery. Most likely his mad mind is bent upon the destruction of reality itself. No adequate description of this being exists, the very few which have seen it describe an inconceivably massive dark, writhing form with a malevolent orange glow at its center.

Next is Tharizdun, the Chained God, a being of immense power Tharizdun tried to destroy everything once. The gods banded together and stopped his scheme, sustaining massive causalities in the process. Unable to kill him, they instead sealed him away in a secret location, hopefully for all eternity. Tharizdun is not cut-off from the world though, and his worshippers seek to locate him and free him from his bonds. No record remains of Tharizdun's appearance and the most visions of him reveal is a massive adamant box, bound in heavy chains, with a hellish glow emanating from the cracks.

Dendar, The Night Serpent, is a being said to have been born when the first dream was dreamed. A massive snake, Dendar devours the lost and forgotten nightmares of kings and gods alike. She plans, it is said, to unleash all these horrors at once and end the world. However, if she stops eating nightmares then all beings would remember those horrors in perfect detail and the world would be plunged in destruction and despair anyways. An alternative mythology can be found below with the Snake gods of the Yuan-ti.

Zargon, The Returner, calls itself a god but it is something else entirely. Born of slime and ooze Zargon feeds on sacrifices brought by his followers, growing in strength until he threatens gods and devils alike. Many times Zargon was slain, taking a heavy toll on his opponents, but each time he has risen again, forming around the spiral horn which grows from his forehead. In his most recent with Asmodeus Zargon was sealed within a great stone, but his followers still sacrifice and he will arise once more.

Dagon is an ancient being, older than many of the gods. Portals to his domain appear in many places, sometimes seemingly at random, other times they are permanent entrances to whatever place Dagon resides. Dagon's age is matched by his knowledge, many forgotten and forbidden secrets are his and his alone. Whatever goals he may have Dagon never gives anything away for free, even if it may first appear so, and his schemes span aeons of time.

Only two other groups wander between the Astral Sea and the Elemental Chaos: The alien and deadly Slaad and the wandering Gith.[/sblock]

Feywild, Realm of Faerie

[sblock]Past the Elemental Chaos and through the Etheral Layer lies the Feywild and the Shadowfell as well as the mortal plane, also known as the Material Plane.

The Feywild is a reflection of the material plane that is more than its source. Instead of a normal wood you could find an ancient forest, or one made of fiery crystals. A pond may have unknown depths or a mountain be seven times higher with strange beasts roosting within. Most residents of the Feywild are known as the Fey or Faeries, but not all fall under this category. The Feywild is generally ruled by the Sidhe and their courts, but opposing factions do exist. It is important to note that some beings carry a close connection with the Feywild, like Gnomes, Elves, Goblins and some Giantkin, but these are not “true Fey” as they are not bound by the Three Laws. These Laws are: Do not speak that which is not true. Always return kindness, and ill-will in kind, but never leave a debt unpaid. Honor the Laws of Hospitality.

As there are Three Laws which bind the Fey, there are three courts which rule them. The Seelie Court is ruled by Titania, also known as the Summer Queen. The Seelie Fey are generally the most even-tempered and kindly of the Fey, they are most concerned with natural beauty and can be fierce in defending it. The Seelie can also be the most raucous of partiers, enjoying music, dance and fine drinks and wine. Dryads, Sprites, Pixies, and Satyrs often fall under the Seelie courts sway.

Titania's consort and lover is Oberon, Leader of the Wild Hunt and Lord of the Wild Fey. The Wild Fey are much more disorganized than the other two courts, and Oberon is their leader only because it allows them to claim neutrality in the wars between the courts. Many of the Wild Fey do participate, choosing sides based on a fickle mood or favors owed, due to this mixed position they count many creatures among their number.

The Final court is the Unseelie Court, ruled by The Queen of Air and Darkness. The Unseelie fey are terrible forces, taking pleasure in pain and evil curses. They also count many varied and dark-hearted creatures among them, the Queen employs several shadows in her service for example. Few beings remember, and fewer speak openly, that the Dark Queen is Titania's sister and that she was once bright and lively. It is said that the Crystal Titania wears around her neck once had her sister's name upon it, and that the Queen must also carry somewhere a crystal upon which Titania's name is writ. Proof of their eternal bond. However, one day she returned from a trip into the forest, the light gone from her eyes and her name unspeakable. None know for certain what transpired, all that is known is that The Queen of Air and Darkness wars upon her sister, and that she is a cold and unfeeling being. With one exception, if blood is spilled in her presence the Queen's rage is unleashed, destroying he who spilled the blood and sometimes the bleeder as well.

There are other powerful and important figures in the Feywild: The Princess of Thorns, The Prince of Frost, Cait Sith, and Puck to name a few. It is also important to recognize the two other races commonly found in the Feywild. The twisted, giant Fomorians who were once Sidhe and the Hags who are Fey but stand apart in many respects. [/sblock]

Shadowfell

[sblock]Where the Feywild is the material world reflect with more, the Shadowfell is reflected with less. Light rarely shines, and much of the realm is an endless expanse of gray shrubs, hills, and dank water. It is colorless, empty. The Shadowfell is the birthplace of many dark things and foul hungers. Most notably are the undead which are the majority of its inhabitants. Many beings seek a foothold here, most notably Orcus, who seeks to claim all undead under his dominion. To this end Orcus has established “The City of Ghouls” from which he constantly sends forces to increase his reach, though they are commonly decimated by the nominal rulers of The Shadowfell: The Lords of Shadow.

Among their number is the first vampire, an ancient creature who was the first to take the title “Lord of the Shadows.” Being the first to claim lordship within the Shadowfell this being, known as Lord Abaddon to those foolhardy enough to name him, is feared and respected by many powerful forces, though he seems content with the power he has gathered. Amongst Abbadon's court are many dark lords and ladies, some of the most notable being Abbadon's ancient children such as Lady Priscilla and Lord Bartholomew.

Another powerful group in the Shadowfell is the Queen of the Night and her Deathknights. Lady Gabriella and her right-hand Sir Nikolai The Mournful were once in charge of an ancient kingdom. Lady Gabriella, in a quest to remove all evil from her lands, went too far, slaughtering entire villages and destroying her country from within with her zealotry. Sir Nikolai turned a blind-eye to his Lady's atrocities, love leading him to follow her without question. When they died, both rose as Deathknights, but Lady Gabriella refused to see her sins, instead blaming the gods for cursing her and vowed to continue working towards creating the perfect kingdom. Amongst her current knights are Lady Constance, who was cursed for pursuing power at the cost of her soul, Sir Damien and Sir Augustus, both whom fell for pride.

The next of the Shadow Lords is Judax'Kîsar, an ancient dragon of indeterminate type. Somme say he was the first dracolich, self-rising from the bleak desert of the Shadowfell. Others that he was the first shadow dragon, and that his name is now the title all leaders of the Shadow Wyrm Court hold. For whatever the truth of Judax is,his methods are clear, stealing eggs, hatchlings, and young dragons of all color and bringing them to the shadowfell to be reborn as shadow dragons under his command. No one is sure how he controls the dragons, known for fierce independence, but however the method the Court is a powerful and dangerous force.

Outside of these “heavy-hitters” are many, many lesser powers. Hags, wights, wraiths, necromancers, and even revenants claim what land and titles they can before being subsumed by some greater power.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Chaosmancer

Legend
Misc, notes on places not wthin the kingdoms, and Secrets

Here is a whole bunch of stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Some are notes for myself so I don't forget good ideas, others are important parts of the world. The first thing is a doozy

Abbadon and [Mab]

[sblock]Abbadon was once a mortal, who fell in love and was loved in return by [Mab], now known as the Queen of Air and Darkness. However, he held no titles and had accomplished no great deeds, nothing to allow the Faerie Court to recognize a union between him and one of the two future queens. Desperate, Abaddon sought out an ancient hag and begged for the power to build a kingdom even the Court would be forced to recognize. She agreed, in exchange for a secret never again uttered.

With his “Blessing of the Blood” Abaddon created generals to serve him, and they soldiers. In the Shadowfell, where no one ruled and many threats to the Fey proliferated, they forged a kingdom. Years later Abaddon sent a secret letter to his love, wanting to meet in person. [Mab] had grown beautiful and powerful, but she still loved Abaddon with all her heart. However, Abaddon had been twisted by his power and time in the Shadowfell, and when [Mab] confirmed her unwavering love Abaddon used his magic to take her name, so that it would never pass the lips of another man.

The trauma of his betrayal nearly killed [Mab], shattered her body and ripped her soul to shreds. The Queen of Air and Darkness, unable to feel more than the pale embers of her love rejected the Shadow Lord, and broke the Faerie Court into three factions in a vicious power struggle. It is said that deep in Abaddon's castle lies the bottle in which the Queen's name resides, and that Abaddon treasures this fragment of love above all else. It is also said that the only way to break Abaddon's power and kill him is to speak the secret he gave to the Hag during his tragic deal.

The Secret is this. “[Mab] is pregnant with our child, conceived out of wedlock, his name shall be Kohaku.” And in fact, The Queen is still secretly pregnant. She has been using her magic to delay and hide the birth of her child for centuries, to the point where she herself has nearly forgotten of the child's existence.[/sblock]

The Tale of Fuzzywhistle, Gnomish hero.

Prince of Frost

[sblock]The Prince of Frost, of the Unseelie court, came into being when his lover betrayed him and sought out a mortal lover. She fled through space and time to escape the Prince's clutches. He has become cold and unfeeling except for the hatred he has towards all mortals. Legend says if he forgives his lover his heart shall melt and he shall become as he was. His citadel is the Fortress of Frozen Tears, literally formed by tears shed by himself and his servants. He houses many beings either frozen in ice or who are overcome with despair who serve his needs.[/sblock]

Yuan-Ti and Lamia Pantheon

[sblock]The Yuan-Ti and Lamia are connected cultures and the Yuan-Ti believe that an over-deity wound throughout the universe. Then in a cataclysmic act this deity split into four beings. They are:

Dendar, The Night Serpent, “She who devours dreams”

Wadjet (Yuan-ti Goddess), The Serpent of the Seas, “She who devours Sickness”

Apep (Yuan-ti God), The Unblinking King, “He who devours Lands”

The First Mother (Lamia Goddess), “She who devours herself”.

The Yuan-Ti believe that a time will come when the four deities will battle, devouring each other, reunifying in the process and once more becoming the over-deity. The battle will probably also spell the end of the world.[/sblock]

Beastlands

[sblock]Within the Beastlands is a sealed “The Primal One” an ancient hunter being of rage who was sealed by the ancient gnomish society. He is an Empyrean (Titan) named Rukh who refers to himself as “The King”. He grieves the “Death” of his Mother, the earth and the land, nature. If someone tries to argue the land is not dead he will tell them they did not see what it was before. He refers to mortals as “maggots” who “crawl, **** and breed upon the corpse”. His seal is twofold. First, he is chained to his massive throne of stone by silver bracelets with chains, these chains are the physical manifestation of the Gnomish Goddesses who sacrificed themselves to seal Rukh. The second is a diffusing of his rage, which is represented by the mists which cover the Beastlands. When the seal is broken the mist will rush into him, changing his skin tone (Either changing from grey to white or perhaps making his skin bleed and turn red). The seal could be broken by shattering the chains, but that would be similar to destroying an artifact in difficulty. The second would be if blood is spilled or some other act would help pierce the veil around him and incite him to rage.

There is a small tribe of gnomes that live in guardianship of Rukh. They have been twisted into bestial forms (permanent half form lycans) but they remain mostly logical and cultured. I may also place shifters here, just thought of that[/sblock]

Barrow Hills

[sblock]Within the Hills is a “Mummy's Pyramid” which contains many powerful relics and treasure, including a lamp with a wish granting genie. Entombed within is Mad King Varis' Queen, Queen Cassiopeia who was slain during a major battle with the Dragonborn. Varis preformed the ritual himself and bound her to a vault where he kept many of his back-up plans and powerful weapons of war he did not feel he needed. She was tasked with guarding these treasures until after the war when Varis would research methods of true resurrection.

One such artifact is an Iron Flask which contains a wish granting Djinni. This Djinni was bound under the 3 wishes staple clause, and has only one wish left to grant. This is a plot item I plan to send the PC's after very shortly.

I also plan on a Lich's tower being within the Barrow Hills. Not sure who he was or how I'll make him different. I've had a few ideas. Perhaps a researcher who still believes Varis is alive and continueing the war?[/sblock]

Shepherds

[sblock]One player is part of a group known as The Shepherds. They hail from the human kingdom, so they are made almost entirely of humans and Teiflings. The point of the group is to combat the Lycanthropes which occasionally range out from the Beastlands. They are somewhat secretive, not many villages are near the Beastlands after all, and are a strictly local group. Not much detail into them yet [/sblock]

The Obsidian Chain

[sblock]Another player was taken captive and forced into gladiatorial combat by a criminal organization. The organization is called “The Obsidian Chain”. The group marks it's property with a black chain tattoo (may also be the symbol to mark members). His handler was an elf man. He fell for a dragonborn slave woman (dancer I'm thinking). Left a lot of organization design to the player. He is hard to motivate and is kind of a problem player. He doesn't seem to see the game as a cooperative expeirence but instead as a chance to one-up the other players. I'm hoping that by giving him some control over this group's story and pulling a few other tricks I can get him more invested in the world and mellow him out.

More details

The Leader of the Obsidian Chains is called the Primus. The 4 beneath him are the Centurions and the 8 beneath them (2 under each Centurion) are the Legatus. Below that is simply foot soldiers and accountants. I've decided the Primus is a halfling Fiend pact Warlock, who is currying favor with Asmodeus so that when he dies he may become a Duke of Hell instead of a lemure or mane (may have demons and devils mixed here)

The Chains mainly focus on slavery, gladiatorial contests and other unspecified "illegal" practices. Members of the Chains have a tatoo in a place they chose, while property is branded with a red-hot chain wrapped around their arms.

The player's handler in the arena was a high elf named Celindor, whose tatoo is around his neck. I decided Celindor, who was probably a mid-ranking member, has been catapulted into the position of Centurion because he was able to broker a lucrative deal with the invading goblin army, mostly involving the transport of slaves and the selling out of the human kingdom. He will also be an Eldritch Knight type of character, and he stole the player's love interest as bait. He is obsessed with the bestiality in people and he beleives he once saw the perfect beast in the player (orc barbarian), knowing that he helped create that, and what the layer is capable of he knows the player survived the sacking of the city and will come for him. He sees him as a massive threat and has prepared an entire false hideout as a trap to kill the player.

The love interest is a Dragonborn slave woman called Silvenas (I least I hope he remembers she's dragonborn and not an elf like he originaly wanted... long story of him not making sense). Not sure what her part is in all this[/sblock]

Last edited:

Chaosmancer

Legend
Homebrewed critters

Goblin Homebrews

[sblock]The Greenskins were mostly just augemented standard goblins (better equipment and hp to represent their training within the empire), the Goldskins were based off the Goblin Boss stats. No Goldskins have been encountered so I haven't decided on magic, but they will basically have class levels in either cleric, wizard, or a half-caster class. They are meant to be scary, since they rule the empire. Giving them magic was actually a secondary thought, because I needed to make sense of Goblins being in charge instead of Hobgoblins. Interestingly enough I found the empire fit well into the format of the Covenant from the Halo games. Greenskins are a mix between Grunts and Jackals, Bugbears are Brutes, Hobgoblins are Elites, and the Goldskins are Prophets, only in a world where magic is very real and very powerful.

"Greenskins"

AC: 16 (studded leather and shield)
HP: 14 (2d6+2)

spd: 30 ft
Str 10 (+0) Dex 14 (+2) Con 12 (+1) Int 12 (+1) Wis 14 (+2) Cha 10 (+0)

skills: Stealth +6, Perception +4
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft, passive percep 14

Highly trained: can hide while only lightly obscured
Nimble Escape: Bonus action Hide or Disengage

Scimitar: +5 vs AC 1d6+3
Shortbow: Range 80/320 +5 vs AC 1d6+3

"Goldskins"

AC: 18 (breatplate and shield)
Hp: 38 (6d6+2)

spd: 30 ft
str 12 (+1) Dex 16 (+3) Con 12 (+1) Int 16 (+3) Wis 16 (+3) Cha 14 (+2)

Skills: Stealth +7, Perception +5, Arcana +5, social skills +5
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft, passive percep 15

Highly Trained: can hide while only lightly obscured
Nimble escape: bonus action hide or disengage
Innate Magic

Multi-Attack (makes 2 weapon attacks)

Rapier +6 vs Ac 1d8+4
Shortbow +6 vs AC 1d6+4

"Protect the Leader"
When a creature you can see targets you, you may swap places with an adjacent lesser goblinoid. The lesser goblin becomes the target of the attack.[/sblock]

Lamia

[sblock]I haven't statted them out yet, but I'm planning on Lamia's being half-snake women, as that is the interpretation I see everywhere else except DnD. I have plans for their entire life cycle that ties into the First mother concept above. They will also probably have magic, a grapple, and a poisonous bite which will paralyze the target.[/sblock]

Sidhe Lord or Lady

[sblock]I have something statted out, but I think I made them too powerful. It was my first attempt at making a completely new creature and I feel it got out of hand. I will revisit it and try and different approach. They will definetly be high CR opponents though, as befitting the Fae of mythology[/sblock]

Last edited:

Chaosmancer

Legend
Revisiting Arista soon in a campaign, so a lot is changing. We didn't get far in the campaign held in this world, but we can't simply restart because we’re missing players and it’s been over a year and every has lost the threads of the story. Can't ignore everything, because that would be unfair towards what they did accomplish, and we left off with a goblin army ravaging the lands. In addition, one player wants to play Goliath, which until a week ago were not written up, I've since added them and they can be found above. This post is about base ideas on how the world has changed in the intervening time of the war and where we would start fresh.

After many centuries of peace, the Second Goblin war occurred. Assassinating the Witch-King Thaddeus Cromwell and burning their way through Grimsdell Wood, the goblin army sacked the city of Gále and ravaged the countryside of Toril. Miraculously, the wood regrew behind the marching army and the human forces led by the young Witch-King Evalynn Cromwell counter attacked swiftly. They decimated and scattered the goblin forces single-handedly and under the rule of Evalynn, not only did the great city of Gále arise more resplendent than before, but humanity proved itself the equal to its more historically militant neighbors.

During this time the elves changed the world as well. The Southern reaches of the Feylands had long lain abandoned, as the elves no longer had the force of arms to hold such large swaths of land. Emerging from these forests came a new people, tall, thin, and with snake-like features these Yuan-Ti spoke of a great body of water, an ocean, which had allowed their ships to bypass the Three-King Mountains to establish a colony to the south.

Their empire existed near the Goblin Lands, and after much negotiation the elves and the Yuan-Ti established a trade route. The route goes from the Aorth Desert where the Goliath nomads roam, through the Yuan-Ti empire and over the ocean to the Feylands where it travels through a small section of the forests under the watchful eyes of the Wood Elves. This route has been called “The Snake Way” and allows travelers of all the races to travel between the two major areas of the world, for a price of course.

The Yuan-Ti will not be a playable race, but I do have a full write-up of them, since they are very different from the traditional version presented in the Monster Manual which are pure evil and wouldn’t work in this context. The Goliaths of the Desert and the Genasi of the City of Dòle will be playable though.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Just did a quick edit, replacing Nerull with The Raven Queen (which from a meta perspective is very humorous)

I liked Nerull as Arista's God of Death, he helped highlight the weirdness in humans worshiping evil gods. However, Nerull's position as the Hater and Destroyer of All Life made him very much in league with the Demons of Arista, and the gods are supposed to be standing against the demons. I could have shifted things around I suppose and made some weak excuse, but in the end I just needed to change it. This is not an "in-lore" change, as none of my players knew about Nerull anyways none of them playing humans, but I think the Raven Queen fits a better niche in the pantheon and as an agent working against the demons.

Remove ads