Colostle: The Adventures of October O'Leary

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
So, this is probably it for me and Colostle. The setting is A+, and would be a great -- if light -- setting for another RPG system. But I find this default system to be undercooked and it actually makes playing the game more of a hassle than it needs to be.

October's class is The Mounted, which means he draws five cards each exploration phase. So for the next turn, I've drawn the Three of Diamonds, 10 of Hearts, Queen of Hearts, Ace of Clubs and 9 of Diamonds.

So that means my next turn has to incorporate: an unfriendly person related to October's calling/quest, a camp of people who don't notice him, an artefact or idol, a large treasure that's evidence of a previous raid, and a safe massive skeleton. I can probably do that -- it would fit pretty well with October and his friends exploring Orion's camp -- but some of these combinations have been a huge hassle to get my head around, and I think of myself as a pretty creative guy. And two of the four classes in the core book have a five in their Exploration scores, meaning fully half of the characters have what's often an overwhelming amount of prompts each turn.

That said, the setting is fantastic and if Nich Angell ever releases a pure Colostle setting and lore book, I would be very inclined to pick it up to use with some other system. But as it is, I don't see this fitting into my gaming schedule in future.

Last edited:

Remove ads