Consequences of the Quill (Restored 5/13/06)

LordVyreth

First Post
The Final War: Preparations

Shanna, the High Priestess of the Central Temple of the Sisters, sadly walked through the many rooms and chambers of the church she had been given the task of leading and defending for these long years. She and her acolytes had pledged their loyalty and service to the king and queen of Methosilang and swore an oath to defend it under any circumstances. But until these last couple of years, she never thought it would take this much. But now it was time to use all her power and give everything she had, including her life, to save the kingdom. The armies were already marching to Bas’ valley, and she would be joining them. Now that she knew it was likely she would never see this temple again, everything looked new to her again, as it did the first time she was shy priestess on her first day of training. It was all up to the Sisters now. Even the one she despised…

“Bas, the insect is complete” an excited voice called from deep inside the valley. The goddess, as always, only appeared to be the slightest bit aware of her surroundings, but the fairest hint of a smile appeared on her massive lips, and her excited thoughts reverberated throughout the minds of her followers. The “insect” was a strange but powerful machine excavated years ago, but its technology wasn’t related to most of devices Bas had found buried near her tomb, and some of her less fanatical servants were afraid it would never be made operational. Fortunately, those doubtful servants were wrong, a fact they were likely reflecting on in their respective hells after they were purged for their disloyalty…

“My dear sister, may I ask why decided to visit me after all this time?”

Amira Stael snarled at her treacherous brother Lancaster. “The final battle against your goddess begins. My sister and I are going off to war to defend our home, brother. It’s likely that one or both of us will not return. We may have had our…disagreements, but you are my brother, and I wanted to say goodbye. Also, I was hoping, perhaps…”

“Perhaps what, exactly?” Lancaster replied, though his tone suggested he knew what his sister was hoping for.

“We wanted to know if you were sorry!” Hestine cried as she burst into the room. “We know you won’t be allowed to join us in the fight, but maybe you at least changed your mind about helping our enemy, or you at least were sorry for what you did!”

“That’s it, then? A last minute confession was what you wanted? Perhaps you needed something to ease your guilty consciences about leaving your brother to rot in a dungeon? Forget it. My loyalty is with the one goddess who actually bothered to do anything about our enemies. I sincerely hope you both live to see the end of this day, my sisters, so you will return to MY city and you can loyally serve MY goddess when the time comes. Until then, don’t bother seeking any solace from me.”

Amira and Hestine stormed out without a word, leaving nothing but the Lancaster and the guards. At least, they were the only ones they thought were in the room. With the war brewing, the most trained soldiers the kingdom had could not be spared guarding a prison. Lancaster knew this, as did the remaining soldiers and thief’s guild members that served his cause. It was only a matter of time now…

Herbath examined the massive cage located in the bowels of Bas’ layer. Once, Herbath was just a halfling psion under the service of the Blade of Minds, Tesserill Requien. Over the years, however, his loyalty and competence helped his rise through the ranks in the temple until he was promoted to the position of Tesserill’s personal servant and bodyguard, an honor beyond comprehension. That honor was lost in a second by a surprise ambush by Methosilang’s heroes, as was his life. Tesserill proved as loyal to him as he was to her, however, and she tried to have him raised as soon as she could. There were some complications, but nonetheless he returned, and when Tesserill was unfortunately killed, he was promoted to the greatest position he could hope to have; that of a Strife Master. He now was in charge of preparing Bas’ armies using everything they had discovered from past eras so far, and though he had been making these preparations for months, sometimes something even surprised him. This was one of those times

“Goodness, I always thought it was a myth,” he whispered as he looked at the beast in awe.

The creature’s cultist handler smiled. “Nah, though it might as well have been. The thing was buried so deep it probably hadn’t been awakened for tens of thousands of years. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was what ended its civilization, though. We’ve had to feed it hundreds of sacrifices just to keep it this placated.”

Herbath nodded. It was a shame that such a deadly weapon would have to be deployed, but nothing seemed to stop Methosilang’s heroes. Herbath certainly was eager to settle the score with these so called champions. After all, they killed not only him, but also his heroine and mentor.

Without even the slightest hint of nervousness, Lerissa strode into the throne room to address King Berin and Queen Mathos Stael. After the usual formalities, she began her final pre-war report. “This is Captain Lerissa Turivain of the 1st Methosilang Rifle Division. I am pleased to report that all priorities have been successfully completed, and that the Division is fully ready for combat.”

“Everything is as you expected, Ms. Turivain?” Berin confirmed.

“Affirmative, sir. As expected, the weaponry the Heroes procured in the Orc Empire Raid have superior loading time, damage capability, reliability, and armor penetration to our own. I have personally overseen the production of said weaponry and can say with full confidence that they are equal or greater than the originals, and my elite soldiers have achieved complete mastery of the foreign arms.”

“Very good Lerissa,” Mathos replied. “You are excused.”

Lerissa turned to leave, but she hesitated. “There is one more thing, your majesty!”

Mathos sighed. She saw this coming. “Yes?”

“It concerns the condition of pre-war intelligence of Methosilang.”

“Go ahead…”

“I told you so, your majesty,” she said simply, before walking out of the room to join her soldiers; a group of soldiers which incidentally included a certain lizard woman named Setisth who was more than happy to have such an important position in the army of her new home.

“Termites of the Gods,” the crate simply read. Herbath checked the note and frowned. According to the reports he read, the giant insects that filled the crate were part of a swarm that once devastated the planet and ended another civilization. But to him they appeared to be nothing more than another odd breed of large insects.

“Is this report correct?” Herbath asked another one of the caretakers of Bas’ valley.

The cultist nodded vigorously. “Absolutely. We decided to test these bugs, which apparently were called just ‘Consumers’ in the original language, on the remaining buildings and other ruins of the undead capital of Malmoris after we hit it with the moon.”

“And?”

“And they, well, ate them. Buildings, bodies, weapons, everything. The whole place is little more than an empty crater now. If they can do to living armies what they did to an entire city, they should be unstoppable.”

Bath had never looked happier in a situation that didn’t involve demons or ice cream. “And after you killed then pit fiend, then what happened?” she eagerly asked.

Galatron smiled warmly and with perhaps a little too much pride. The years of shame and debauchery he experienced in the Semiplanar Rift’s were heavy on his mind, but the pain lessened as he told stories to the eager young celestial. Zethar, a fellow being of divine nature and power who had just recently ascended to full power, happily listened to the old solar’s tales. His children, meanwhile, were having a reunion of their own with the rest of the party.

“You’re sure you want to do this?” Tal asked. “Years of wandering to find your sister, and you could lose it all in this fight if things go badly.”

Quercus nodded. “I’m sure. I turned my back on my mission and the truth of my destiny for too long in selfish pursuit of my own needs, and all it got me was a prison outside of my own dimension. It took you to not only free me but find my father, and I owe you everything. Of course I will fight for you.”

Tal then asked Quercus’ sister Shekuldellstra a similar question. “What about you? Are you willing to fight and possibly kill Bas after the history you two had?”

Shekuldellstra looked sad but smiled faintly. “I have no choice. There’s still a part of me that will always think of her as my mentor, and even a sort of surrogate mother. But she also used me as a tool and warped me into a being of evil; a nature my own body and mind literally rebelled against. And perhaps her defeat will give me some of the answers about my own past. Was she the one who killed my father and drove my father away?”

Tal smiled as well, but weakly. He remembered what Legion told him. Sure, he was likely lying, but there was no way to be certain…

Shekuldellstra then had a question of her own for Robin. “Robin, before you joined Methosilang’s heroes at my request years ago, you were my loyal friend. If you wish, you can join Galatron, Zethar, Quercus, and I in this fight.”

Robin appeared tempted but dissented. “Maybe I will join you after this, but my place for now is with Methosilang’s champions. We’ve traveled together so long that I can’t see leaving them at this last fight. I’m sure Bas will say the same.”

Skekuldellstra easily accepted this, and soon she and Robin joined the celestials in their long, last night of peace. Tal, however, had to make a quick exit to meet some of his friends before the final battle, just as Danae, Tiana, and Tonaca had.

Herbath frowned at the next creature of his inventory. “And what is this?”

“Oh, this is a creature of my own design,” a voice smugly said behind him. Herbath turned to see Phellis Mune, also called the Bloody Claw, and the last survivor of the original four Strife Masters. “It should be more than capable of decimating the Methosilang forces.”

“It certainly is an interesting design, though a predictable one for you.”

Phellis Mune chuckled. “Well,” he admitted, “I always had a thing for cats.”

To most people, the image of a flight of dragons was glorious; a vision of beauty beyond the rights of most mortals. To Tal, however, it was like meeting old family.

As the dozens of metallic and gem dragons landed near the city of Methosilang, a young Amethyst took the point and landed right next to half-dragon bard/sorcerer.

“Zuriden, I’m glad you can make it!” Tal eagerly greeted his long-lost cousin.

Zuriden gave a friendly but irritated growl. “You were lucky I did. Even with the destruction of Fierypyre, Facetous only allowed a fraction of our total forces to assist you in the fight against Bas. He was afraid of retribution by the chromatics if they learned of the city.”

Tal sighed. “I told him that would never happen. The evil dragons have no alliance with each other now that the Slave Circlet is destroyed.”

Zuriden hesitated. “Well, it’s not just that. Facetous is afraid of what might happen after this fight.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, if Bas wins, he may have to establish a second front. Bas knows of our city, as I’m sure you remember. And if you win, well, there may be no more use for him here on this plane. He’s thinking that it might be time to return to the outer planes.”

“You’re kidding?”

“No, I’m not. With the empires fallen and Bas destroyed, there’s no more need for him here. The Sisters may not even be needed for long, if their ties to Nerull prove unbreakable. Mortals may once again have to rule themselves here. And it’s not just Facetous that might be gone. If you do win this war, Dragovigis will no longer be. Facetous is adamant that the wonders of the old times can’t be allowed to remain once Bas no longer is abusing them.”

The troubling conversation, however, was interrupted by another dragon bearing two passengers. As the two dismounted, Tal eagerly called to his old friends. “Deladane! Rudious! It’s been ages!”

The two half-dragons happily rejoined their friend. “You know I wouldn’t miss the final battle,” Dane said. “I can’t let my former comrades down like that.”

Rudious nodded, “And I still owe you so much. Without you, I never would have known the truth about my heritage. Unlike my grandfather, rest assured that I will not be leaving this plane unless my life itself is lost.”

The three-half dragons and their full-blooded kin spent the night trading tales and teaching Tal all they could about his family’s heritage and achievements while quaffing what was perhaps a little too much of the dragon ale; a drink that Dane and Tal both realized was an honor just to consume with no fear of its infamous effects!

But Methosilang was not the only force to have dragon allies. Another dragon, larger than all the ones of Dragovigis’ forces, was telepathically conversing with Bas.

And this is the last task you require of me? The dragon thought at Bas. She looked at the goddess not with fear, but with anger. It was obvious that she thought this petty war and its entire realm were beneath her. The agreement was that I would win one battle for you, and I grow tired of you using me as a decoy as a way around this agreement.

The goddess, without moving, speaking, or demonstrating any ability to do so, thought back, Of course. This army is the last significant threat to my domination of this world. When it is gone, I will have no further use for you. You can feel free to leave this plane. That is, you can if you can escape the Rift.

The force dragon stiffened at the perceived insult. Such mundane traps do not concern me. I will abide by this plane’s silly rules of secrecy after I leave, but do not presume that it has any further authority over me. But enough of this. We should discuss my role in the upcoming battle. Will I have any allies of my kin?

Bas hesitated. Of a sort. None of the native dragons serve me, but we have made some allies from the lower realms. The dragons they provide will not serve under you directly, but they should be ideal at keeping the lesser threats at bay, so you can concentrate on our main enemy.

The dragon nodded. Very well. I will be off to prepare myself for the battle.

With that, she flew off. She would honor the pact, of course. The safety of her children demands it. But while she will fight the enemy army with all that she has until she could fight no longer, she secretly hoped that if their enemy could find a way to disable her without killing her, it might be for the best. She never did particularly like Bas.

Danae’s presence in the city’s high mages guild was a cause for both pride and some bitterness. Obviously, she was not only a high-ranking member of the school’s arcane order, but she was also a hero and the savior of the city on many occasions. On the other hand, her success kind of made the rest of look bad.

Nonetheless, her negotiations with Damien, the recently elected arch mage of the guild and the royal family’s official eldritch adviser, were highly important. Even so, there was time for some informality.

“Damien, it’s hard to believe we haven’t fought together since the days of the trial, isn’t it?” Danae pleasantly commented to begin the conversation.

Damien, however, was a little graver. It was obvious he had quite a bit on his mind, perhaps beyond even the war itself. “That is true. It’s strange sometimes that I’m even part of this battle. I still remember the times before the Sisters, after all.”

Danae nodded. “Now, are all the special tactics we’ve discussed in order?”

“Yes. Jarrle, that shadow wizard who was so unfairly treated at our trial, is in place to confound the enemy with his unusual magic. And we were able to retrofit that solar system ‘trap’ you found on your adventures. It should be a very useful weapon on the battlefield.”

“What about my…other request?”

“That has been taken care of as well. You are free to see her whenever you are ready”

As Danae departed, Damien sighed and contemplated his life as of late. It’s strange enough that I’m fighting for the Sisters, he thought. How much stranger that Lore herself chose me for her new avatar?

Meanwhile, Danae confronted a secret of her own. Though the high-ranking members of the guild knew who she was hiding in their headquarters, the regular students didn’t, nor did most of the population of Methosilang. Still, Danae won’t ignore such a valuable and useful tool in this final battle.

“Hello, Venym,” she said as an introduction to her unusual ally.

“Danae, I knew you would come calling for me when I heard about this war,” the succubus sorceress Danae and her friends smuggled into the city twice now replied. “I’m sure you understand, however, that I am under no obligation to assist you in this war. My assistance to you before was already regarded as payment enough for my residency here.”

Danae nodded. “Of course. But I’m sure you understand what the price of failure is here. If we lose this war, this city will belong to Bas. And she will not look kindly upon your betrayal.”

“I could always escape if that happens.”

“And you’ll go where? Bas will find you eventually. Besides, escaping in this city when the people are desperate and eager for any scapegoat will not be easy. If Bas wins this war, it will mean that my friends and I are dead. Who’s left to point out that you aren’t the enemy?”

Venym hesitated, but finally sighed. “I suppose you’re right. I’ll join you on this quest, but don’t expect me to fight for you. I’d probably be attacked by your army faster than by theirs. But I can provide you with advice and intelligence. That was enough to save you before. And win or lose, after this war, I’m gone. Either way, there will be no further need for me to return to your city.”

“Agreed.” Her deal with the “devil” (technically a demon, of course,) made, Danae returned to her home in preparation of the final battle and to see her protégée for what could be the last time. He, however, will not be waiting in this city for her. She already made plans to move him to safety in another city, and if that fails, off the plane. He’ll have to deal with the Rift, of course, but that would still be safer than a world run by Bas.

Allishira was not pleased. He could not disobey his goddess, but he had to at least protest this order. “My Queen, while I would gladly follow your every order, perhaps it would be best if I participated in this battle?”

Bas’ telepathic response was prompt. Are you disagreeing with me, Allishira? Do you think you are wiser than me?

Allishira looked nervous. “No, it’s not that. I just worry about the war. That astral deva sent to hunt me has proven nearly unstoppable, and if my presence can turn the tide of war…”

Your presence does not matter here! And do you have so little faith in your kin? I summoned more than just you from your planar prison. They will suffice.

“But if they fail…”

If they fail, then I will need you more than ever. I understand that our situation is different than what you are used to, but this insolence is not tolerated! The others didn’t complain about this task, and why should they? It is quite the honor. I doubt any of your kind has ever had this chance before.

“Yes, my goddess,” Allishira reluctantly replied, and the fallen solar left to give his fellow former celestials one last inspection before they left to seek glory on the battlefield.

When Tiana returned home to meet with her giant kin and persuade them to enter the war, she wasn’t surprised that they were eager to join. What was more surprising was how many giants there were, and that so many of them were of the more traditionally evil clans.

“Okay, what happened?” a confused Tiana asked.

One of the clan’s elders smiled. “Don’t you know? You happened! With the destruction of the Orc Empire, our kind is no longer enslaved. Since then, we’ve gathered as many of our people as we could. So many have been eager to aid you!”

“Yes, but some of them are well, evil, are they not?”

“Oh, Tiana. You’ve been away from us for too long. Our kind may fight, but we still remember the times when we were one people. We share our traditions and our honor, even if we disagree on individual practices of that tradition. And for a cause as noble and important as this war, who could resist the battle? Now, do not worry about us. We’ll meet you at the battlefield. Besides, you have another destination to visit before the battle.”

Tiana nodded and soon set off. Though its relationship with Methosilang had soured over the years and the countless battles had ravaged it, Delaspie was her home. She would speak with her Queen, Diedre Lenora, and recruit what forces they had left for this war. After all, if Methosilang does fall, Bas will certainly target Delaspie next. If the nation was lucky, its people would merely be enslaved. Tiana might be killed in this war, but she won’t let a nation older than this entire eon of history and the only one to still preserve the traditions of the old gods go into history.

And this project you have been working on, it will be complete in time? Bas asked Affliction at their last meeting before the war.

“Yes,” the NaHuLi simply replied.

It better. You know that I’m not pleased with your performance after the moon fiasco?

“I am aware of this.”

Good. Your existence depends on it. I have no use for failures, especially of ones honored by the title of Strife Master.

If Affliction was the slightest bit afraid of this threat, he didn’t show it. “If I am no longer considered an asset, then I shall be destroyed.”

His indifference only made Base angrier. The fallen goddess appreciated the loyalty and focus of the nano-machine based automaton, but his total inability to respond to any kind of intimidation or appeal to emotions did make motivating him difficult. Tell me more about your contribution to my army.

“I was able to make use of the myriad destroyed and half-completed mechanical devices you have excavated from my time and others in its ultimate design. Its expected power output should meet or exceed that of your more anachronistic living weapons. If I had emotions, I would regret that I am unable to witness its performance directly. But my next task in service to you is of a greater priority.”

With that, Affliction turned to leave, neither making nor expecting any kind of formal exit response.

Tonaca’s journey took him the farthest from his new home, which was understandable since, with the exception of Bath, his home was the most alien from the party’s perspective. It was a strange world of contradiction; firearms were plentiful (though not usually as effective as the orcish Sparkpowder weapons,) but much of the world was still given over to jungles, and even dinosaurs still roam the land! Tonaca was willing to fight for the world that his protégée Azat so loved and because he realized that if Bas succeeded in ruling her world, she would likely set her sights on other planes. But that place was not his home. For one thing, he had a family on this world, including a wife! Her name was Sunset Treeflower, and she was a dryad that hailed from a chaotic yet strong and loyal fey family. It was that family that Tonaca was currently considering as allies for the war. But something still bothered him about that plan.

“I don’t understand. You said this war affected our world as well as theirs. And you’re willing to risk your life and even recruit warriors from our people for the fight. Yet you don’t want me to join you, even if it means I may never see you again?”

Tonaca sighed. This was as difficult as he expected, but he knew what he had to say. “Yes.”

“Why? We’ve faced death together before. This is no different.”

“But it is! You have to understand, in my journeys with this party, I’ve traveled to new planes and seen things I never experienced before. And one of the things I learned is that this plane is a pariah among worlds. It is protected by a creature beyond imagination that prevents it from altering the rest of the planes whenever it itself changes.”

“What does that mean?”

“It means that planar travel is inconsistent. Anyone can travel to the plane easily enough, but returning from it is nearly impossible. I heard stories about the place the party had to travel through once to escape. It sounded nearly impossible to get through; only the strongest of heroes have a chance. I’ve been given clearance to bypass that method by the same being that protects the plane, but I don’t believe you will. And that means that even if we both survive this war, you might not be able to return home. That plane may become our home and our prison!”

Sunset thought about this, but she shook her head. “If it is, so be it. What does it mean to live here or there if I can’t be with you? The few months you’ve been on this adventure have felt like forever. Should have to wait forever again just to know if you even won this war, or if you survived it? No, I will go with you, and I imagine most of my family would make the same decision.”

Her response troubled Tonaca, but he nodded. He didn’t really expect anything else. Very well; if this other world might be his home, then he must twice as determined to save it.

After all the preparations that required her service or guidance, Bas was left alone. Her final task for the war was at hand, but it was painful and difficult. The demons, devils, and other evil fiends that normally had origins outside of this world had instead been spawned directly by Bas, and while she successfully created them thousands of times before, she never had to make so many and ones of such power before. This war required armies of the highest orders of fiends for a victory. Balors, Pit Fiends, Ultraloths, and far worse must be created, along with hundreds of lesser minions. Bas strained and concentrated, until it felt like every muscle in her mammoth body was going to burst. But finally her unholy spawn emerged, fully formed and aware of their nature and place in Bas’ perfect world. Without any need for direction, they immediately and loyally left to join the army. Bas, in spite of the pain, managed to work her semi-conscious form to smile.

Shanna’s unit of clerics was about ready to join the army, but two of its most noted officers lingered behind. Both were among the noblest, loyal, and good citizens of Methosilang and the most ardent supporters of the Sisters. However, both lost someone very important in the events leading up to war; he was a friend to one, and the only son of the other. What’s worse, up until this point, they had no way of truly knowing what happened to him. They only knew what the party told them, but it wasn’t enough to truly have closure. Was Galeron dead? Alive? Something in between? Would they ever get the chance to see him again in this life or the next?

“Hey, um, Elayna,” Thorrun began, awkwardly. Despite the fact that both of them had been with the Temple for months now, they haven’t really talked. “Do you suppose we’ll get the chance to, you know…”

“Look, just say it!” Elayna snapped. She already knew what he wanted to say, but it was clear she was even less eager to discuss it.

“It’s just that well, you know. The party said they saw Galeron again, and he was a celestial or something! And Tsine was with him as well! Surely they’ll have to be at this battle!”

Elayna sighed. “Maybe, but to be honest, I doubt it. Something about the story that Tal and the others told us felt odd somehow. The way they were reluctant to explain their pasts and that they were willing to fight the party. I consulted the Sisters when I heard the news, as I’m sure you did. I trust you found them less than communicative about this subject, just as I did?”

Thorrun nodded slightly and with reluctance. “But still, once they see us…”

“What if they do see us? According to the people that actually met Galeron and Tsine, they knew nothing about their past. They even forgot their friends, which means they certainly forgot us.”

“That’s not possible! Surely they must have…”

“Maybe, but don’t get your hopes up, friend dwarf. I suspect that our loved one may be gone forever. I admit it doesn’t seem fair. The thought of him being safe was the only thing that kept me alive and sane back in the arena, and now that I’m free, it feels like I’m cursed with uncertainty. But we must put aside our petty desires. Our duty is to the city, whether we live or die in this war and whichever may end up being preferable to us.”

Dawn reached the battlefield. On one side was an assembly of heroes, soldiers of various races and two great nations, wizards, clerics, fey, giants, dragons, celestials, and even a rogue demon. On the other side, even the heroes of Methosilang had only the slightest clue. There would be cultists, certainly, and demons, devils, and other fiends based on their experiences. But Bas’ cunning and influence were notorious, and she had access to powers and secrets long forgotten. It will be up to the party and all the friends and allies they made in their long careers to deal with whatever they must fight. But one last thing would surprise them before the fight.

“Well, this should be a touching moment,” a voice suddenly spoke to the heroes from the middle of their camp.

The party quickly converged on the source of the voice, and upon seeing it, they looked up with a mix of shock and revulsion. “You, what are you doing here?” Robin asked.

“Oh, nothing. I merely wish to observe. It wouldn’t be right to start without me here, but I assure you I have no interest in actually altering the events of this war. Both sides are responsible for my demise, as far as I’m concerned.”

“But what are you even doing on this world? You were killed!” Tal asked.

“Yes, as but I’m sure your friend Galeron told you, my intent was to command the domain of all the goddesses,” the ghostly image of Prince Khaspar, the Nightmare Prince said with a smile. “Death is, after all, one of their domains.”

OOC Notes: Phew! This one took research! Even worse, had the campaign physically lasted this long, I would have written up high level stats for every ally and enemy of the upcoming fight! Even without that addition, figuring out everyone the party could expect to see as an ally or enemy took ages.

Now, everyone in this update is in the archives (except for Rudious, who was described as just the Ruby half-orc/half-dragon paladin, as I didn’t have a name made up for him at that point.) However, if you have a question about anybody, please ask. And that goes for the players, too, if any of them are still reading this! I plan on posting another update in a week or two, and I want to make sure everyone’s clear at that point.

Last edited:

LordVyreth

First Post
The Final Battle: Warfare

The party quickly moved to attack, but hesitated when he didn’t respond or try to fight back. In fact, he seemed unconcerned about the attack at all! “Ah, well done,” the ghost of Khaspar replied. “Yes, an attack on me is pointless, and you really can’t afford to waste your resources as this crucial point, now can you? My stay on this plane of existence comes from unfinished business I have. Until that business is complete, I cannot be permanently destroyed.”

“And what is your unfinished business?” Tal demanded.

Khaspar laughed. “That’s my little secret. But have no fear. I’ve washed my nonexistent hands of this entire war. You and Bas can destroy each other for all I care. I just think it would be amusing to watch this exercise.”

With that, he vanished, at least for the moment. Frustrated but aware that they had bigger concerns, the party prepared themselves for the war. After all, compared to what they expected on this day, the remains of a long defeated enemy were negligible.

Thousands of feet below, the fight had begun. So far, it was hard to determine a real winner. The Methosilang forces had the edge in numbers, but Bas’ army was more power overall with its fiendish regiments and highly trained fanatics. But Methosilang had the greatest of trump cards: its champions. Bath, Tal, Robin, Tiana, Tonaca, and Danae were among the greatest heroes this eon had ever known, and while they were mostly busy just keeping the army organized, they also took the time to wipe out entire enemy legions by themselves! Still, even they couldn’t defeat all of Bas’ specially designed minions and shock forces by themselves. The war would come down to how effective the special forces of both sides were used.

These thoughts were going through the head of the trained pilots of the aerial, mechanical battle insect (or helicopter, as we’d call it,) as they oversaw the battlefield. They were the first of the special forces Bas called, and they were currently entering the field of battle. As expected, the roar of victory could be heard from their side, and the cries of despair echoed throughout their enemies. The pilot smiled and tested some of the heli-insect’s weaponry on the massed army. The missiles launched and created dozens of gaps in the Methosilang forces where brave warriors once stood. The screams intensified, and for good reason, the pilot thought. With the press of a button, this weapon could unleash the power of countless fireballs! And that was just the test run. Once the helicopter got a little closer, it could release its bomb payload and begin to strafe the army with the Vulcan cannons.

The pilot was so engrossed in the future plans that he didn’t even notice that many of the screams of terror were much closer than the enemy soldiers. In fact, they were coming from inside the copter itself! Finally, the pilot noticed and whirled around to notice that they were under attack, in a way. More precisely, the ship was swarmed with what appeared to be dozens, if not hundreds, of fey creatures! They weren’t attacking exactly; they were just interfering with every little mechanism in the vehicle. The pilot was just about to call for help when he heard a “Hey, what does this button do?” coming from behind him at the ship’s terminal. His last thought, before he suddenly and violently reunited with his army’s ground forces, was regret that they didn’t have time to finish repairing the parachutes with the rest of the helicopter’s equipment.

“It…can’t be!” Tal gasped.

But there could be no doubt. Lancaster Stael, the traitorous prince of Methosilang, had not only escaped. He somehow made his way back to Bas and renewed his service to his dark goddess! “Heroes of Methosilang, I’m glad we could meet again!” the warrior sneered as he and his new mount, a strange horse of ever-shifting colors and elemental properties, tore through the rows of soldiers!

Almost instantly, the knights of Methosilang, led by Amira Stael, began to move. It was clear that this time the eldest daughter of the Stael’s would waste no time in finally ending her treasonous kin. The heroes watched her ride towards the battle, seemingly without objection at first. “It does seem appropriate,” Tonaca admitted.

“I agree,” Robin replied. “If anyone deserves to finish this fight, she does.”

Suddenly, Danae, who had been watching the fight carefully, shot up. “No!” she screamed. “We can’t let her near him! We know what a monster Lancaster is when mounted. He almost killed Galeron with one strike of his lance! And besides, he’s riding a madness horse. I’ve heard about them before. They warp the very world around them with their insanity. Pillars of fire, fields of ice, clouds of death, anything is possible when fighting them.”

“What do we do, then?” Bath replied.

Thinking quickly, Tiana shouted to a messenger, “Bring the gun division on alert immediately! Shoot him down before Amira can get near him!”

The messenger quickly passed the order on, and the two enemies could meet, Lancaster was suddenly showered with a hail of bullets. His mount reared up and he Lancaster briefly hesitated. It was clear he expected to meet with his sister as well, and he wasn’t prepared for this intrusion.

“Excellent work,” Lerissa encouraged her soldiers. “Now, second team, fire!”

The second division quickly aimed in on their distracted enemy. Setisth was the first to get a perfect shot. Grinning her toothy reptilian grin, she quickly moved to pull the trigger. It would be the last thing she ever would do.

Suddenly, twin explosions appeared in the center of the rifle division. Suspecting invisible targets, Methosilang’s clerics entered the area and purged invisibility, revealing Lancaster’s two allies. One was a clearly insane mechanical halfling, and the other was a human bedecked in crystals. He appeared to be reluctant and regretful for his actions, but did not hesitate in continuing his attack. Soon, a second volley of magic left the hand of the halfling, while the human seemingly didn’t do anything, and yet strange energy still pulsed through the rifle division’s ranks.

“Talos and Palfrin?” Tal said with anger and a hint of disbelief. “But they hate each other. Are they that desperate to defend their goddess?”

The gunners desperately continued their attack, but it was too late, for the knights had reached the battle and Lancaster met Amira. The battlefield echoed with their attacks, but Talos, Palfrin, and Lerissa ignored it. Senseless with rage from the death of her soldiers, Lerissa switched targets and focused on Talos and Palfrin. When he hesitated for just a moment, Palfrin was suddenly riddled with first Lerissa’s, and then dozens of other bullets. His lifeless body crashed onto the battlefield as Lerissa rapidly reloaded and then began the attack on Talos. The evil halfling’s luck finally ran out, and he joined his former master Khaspar in death, though his journey to the afterlife proved much faster.

Meanwhile, just as Danae feared, Lancaster gained the advantage on his sister. After dismounting her, Lancaster, quickly turned his horse around for one last, fatal charge. However, just as he was about to start the charge, he felt a sword pierce right through his chest. He turned around in disbelief to find Hestine glaring at him with rage and regret. “You won’t hurt my family any more,” she growled.

Lancaster chuckled, “I suppose not,” before his own life faded away.

Lerissa, who had watched the fight’s final moments, cheered and fired at the madness horse, ending its chaos on the battlefield as well. She was just about to lead her survivors to the rear of the battle for medical aid when she joined the casualties of the fight. Before anyone could notice at her death, let alone react, Devlin escaped into the melee of the battle. His new master was dead, the half-vampire realized, but he did not die without being avenged.

“What is it this time?” Tal asked in despair. A swarm of strange, beetle-like insects he didn’t recognize had suddenly dashed to the front of the Bas forces, taking a few surprised and quickly killed cultists with them.

Everyone, as if on cue, turned to Danae. “They’re…Consumers I believe. This is not good. They get stronger with every attack they absorb and more fierce with every kill. We have to destroy them, and as quickly as possible.”

“Who do we have near that side of the battlefield?” Tonaca asked.

“Our divine casters, I think,” Robin replied. “You know, Shanna, Elayna, and Thorrun?”

Tal shuddered. “We already lost friends in this fight. I don’t know if Galeron can ever forgive us if his mother and best friend die as well.”

Tonaca asked, “They’re not exactly the best fighters among us. Do they even have anything that can kill these monstrosities quickly?”

Danae shook her head. “I don’t think so. Their bodies are engines of perfect destruction. No simple death spell stands much chance of affecting them. This could take a…”

Her last word was interrupted, however, by a blast of unearthly music. The clouds above the horrible insects parted, and a single beam of light struck the lead Consumer. Moments later, a second and third bolt enveloped the remaining insects. In an instant, all of them were pulled upwards and out of the plane, never to be seen again.

“…huh,” was all Tal could get out.

“Well, it makes sense,” Tiana said with a faint smile. “If you have to fight the Termites of the Gods, it makes sense to actually use the Gods to deal with them.”

“Things appear to be going badly for Bas, wouldn’t you say, Khaspar?” Tal casually asked their spectator.

Khaspar shrugged. “It is of no concern to me, but I wouldn’t be so quick to celebrate. Do you know where Bas found those things? They were in storage in a wooden box. So far, all that she’s sent have been failures and toys she’s salvaged, and you’ve had to waste your most powerful magic and lost some of your finest soldiers to stop them. Wait until she uses some of her more powerful soldiers. Ah, these are a fine example of what I mean…”

From far above, a flight of dark-winged creatures landed in the middle of the battlefield. Amira, who had just gotten healing and returned to the front lines, quickly saw the new enemy and charged.

“See, Khaspar? We’ll have no trouble with whatever demons Bas sent us this time.” Tal grinned.

“Don’t be so certain. These are no demons. They are…”

But Bath was already aware and screaming, “No, don’t get any closer! Those aren’t demons! They’re celestials!!”

It was too late. Amira had neared the enemies and was about to attack when she realized the same thing. The captain of this supposedly holy brigade, a planetar of great beauty and strength, held his hands out, suggesting he wanted to avoid combat.

“My good woman, why would you raise your weapon to us? Do we not share the same beliefs, the same goddesses?”

Amira, struck dumb by this shocking turn of events, could only stammer out the start of an explanation.

Bath had enough. She spread her wings and took off in the direction of the fight. “No, Bath, don’t! We need to save our strength for Bas!” Tiana protested, but she knew it was futile.

Unfortunately, Bath’s actions were too late to save Amira. Desperate to force this situation to make sense, she didn’t notice the other fallen celestials surrounding her until it was too late. As one, they descended on her, killing the shocked paladin with ease. The rest of her division, the spell of the celestials broken, engaged the rest of the dark angels just as Bath tackled the planetar captain.

“I don’t suppose you’re named Allishira?” she asked him as they fought.

The planetar, though he knew his fate was likely sealed, could only smile. “I’m afraid not. You’re thinking of my master. I believe you’ll be seeing him soon.”

“I believe I will,” Bath agreed, as she finished the traitorous representative of her own kind.

To nearly any sane being in the universe, the next force that Bas sent against the force of Methosilang would be awe-inspiring in its power. Balors and Pit Fiends, the most powerful of the demons and devils and normally known for their seething hatred of each other, were walking side by side. Following them was a countless army of mariliths, cornugons, nalfeshenee, gelugons, and many lesser demons and devils. Scattered among them were yugoloths of all levels of strength and the more independent and unique fiends like raskshasa, night hags, and the bizarre “outsider” fiends like swift prides, lipidos, and canor factums. The army of so many united monsters appeared unstoppable, and it certainly consisted of some of the most powerful beings on the plane.

Fortunately, the Methosilang forces had an army of even more powerful beings. The sky darkened as dozens of dragons, their metallic or gem-colored scales gleaming in the liberated sun whenever it shone in the gaps of the dragon’s flight, descended on the fiends. As the largest dragons engaged in battle against dozens of fiends at once, smaller dragons like Zuriden zipped between the behemoths while repeatedly blasting the unholy spawn with their destructive breaths. On the ground, Rudious and Deladane stood back to back and fought the strongest generals of the division alone. In a matter of minutes, the dragons returned, roaring in triumph. There were casualties, and none of the dragons got away without any injuries, but the fight was easily in the dragon’s favor. If anything, it appeared that the worst injuries Rudious and Dane would suffer would come from them fighting each other over who gets to keep the head of the largest balor as a trophy.

“Venym, what can you tell us about this threat?” Danae asked with a hint of reluctance in her voice. For the first time since the battle started, the new threat was something she couldn’t recognize. It looked vaguely technology-themed, which would explain why she didn’t know about it, but she consulted with the Dragovigis dragons, and not even they had any idea what it was. That made her feel a little better, but her pride was still hurt.

“I was with Bas when they first began to work on that project. Affliction led the work, unsurprisingly. I believe they were calling it a ‘war-mech,’ though I doubt that’s the technical term for it. It’s sort of a giant iron golem, but using technology. It’s supposed to be absolutely full of weaponry, and it came from a more advanced civilization than that helicopter you destroyed earlier. It’s also fully automated, so even if you can get your fey allies to attack it safely, there are no controls for them to tamper with.”

Danae took this information back to the party to figure out the best way to stop this monstrosity. Surprisingly, Tiana was the first to arrive at a solution. “I think we’re looking at this the wrong way. We don’t have to understand the creature’s exact weak point. I think the laws of nature have given us all the weaponry we need.”

Tiana explained her plan, and Danae happily ordered the arcane division to the battlefront.

The mech confidently continued across the battlefield, its force fields blocking most of the magic artillery its new enemies used on it. The attacks would eventually penetrate its shields, but even if the robot was capable of expressing concern, it felt no need to do so. At its rate of movement, it would be able to bring its targets in range of its many weapons in a matter of moments. From there, its attackers would be quickly destroyed. It’s only difficulty at this point was the amount of calculating effort it required to even process the physically impossible attacks. It was so caught up in understanding its enemies, in fact, that it didn’t notice its forward motion was practically nullified until it was far too late.

The wizards, seeing their plan succeed, let out an untraditional cheer. While Damien led a decoy attack at the mech, an army of slightly lesser wizards transmuted the ground under the mech into a pit of mud. The mech soon learned the problems of concentrating so much mass into so little space, and it sunk up to its waste almost instantly. Unable to move, the wizards effortlessly circled around the mech, attacking it with magic until first its force field and then its entire body were completely obliterated.

“I don’t understand. I heard you could defeat this monstrosity by draining its strength from it,” Tiana said with frustration. She watched with apprehension as the concentrated effort by the divine and arcane division tried in vain to suck the very life force out of the notorious Tarrasque.

Danae studied the fight as well, though at a more clinical level. “Maybe that was once true, but perhaps the Tarrasque underwent mutation since then.”

Tal groaned. “Pull back our forces. There’s no sense in getting them killed out there. We need another plan.”

“Um, I don’t think we do,” Robin awkwardly added as he pointed out to the battlefield. “It looks like Galatron and the rest of the celestials are charging at the Tarrasque already.”

“Not this again,” Tonaca angrily replied. She glared at Bath, “What’s with you people and reckless charges?”

Bath shook her head, “Well, I got back okay. I’m sure Galatron can do the same. He is a Solar after all.”

Unfortunately, her optimism was misplaced. No sooner did the group reach the Tarrasque than it charged and brutalized their most reckless member, the unfortunate Zethar. Once again, his need to prove himself was fatal, as he almost immediately fell before the monster’s claws!

As expected, Bath was again in the air and about to assist in the fight, but this time Bas was apparently ready for her. A swarm of demons rose up from secret gaps in the battlefield to swarm her. None of them were any real threat to Bath, but they kept her busy while the fight resolved itself. After Zethar’s death, the remaining three celestial warriors had more luck at the creature. On more than a half-dozen occasions, one of them was eaten alive, only to burst out of the creature’s chest moments later! But it seemed to have little effect on the beast. Finally, just as it was almost ready to collapse, it roared in fury and charged one last time at Quercus and Shekuldellstra, who were both heavily wounded at this point and retreated long enough to heal their wounds. Just before the monster reached the injured siblings and likely would have killed them, Galatron interposed himself between them and the beast. It slowed the beast, but at a heavy cost, as the enraged Tarrasque managed to bite Galatron in half!

Furious, Quercus and Shekuldellstra surged up and finally defeated the monster, and then turned to their dying father. “Why?” an anguished Quercus asked. “We were finally a family again!”

“No, Quercus,” Galatron weakly said with the last of his strength. “My sins have been too great. I never would be the solar, the paragon of virtue and mercy, that I once was again. Too much of me died the day my wife did, and my actions from then on were inexcusable. I abandoned you, Shekuldellstra, and while I am glad to see the man you have become, I had you for all the wrong reasons. It’s time for me to rest, and what better reason could I have than saving my children? Now, it’s time for the two of you to live your own lives. I know you’ll make me proud…”

“I never thought I’d say this, but why couldn’t we be fighting undead?” General William Bullorn, the official Ruler of Armies of Delaspie, asked as he watched the next threat arriving on the battlefield. “I had my fill of dragons for a lifetime.”

Sure enough, a flight of dragons almost as large as the ones from Dragovigis had arrived, but there was something fundamentally “wrong” about these dragons. Danae realized it instantly. “Those dragons are not from our world! They’re fiendish sub-species that only originate from the lower planes. I suspect Bas recruited them making deals with the fiendish eggs we discovered, much like she did with the force dragon.”

Tal, stricken once again with regret, asks, “Can Delaspie forces fight something like this?”

Tiana was grave. “We had plenty of experts on fighting dragons in the past, but most of them were killed in the war against the orcs. Our remaining soldiers mostly hail from our anti-undead forces. The only bright side is that many of them are paladins, so they should have some leverage against fiendish dragons. But I don’t think it’s enough…”

Indeed, the fight initially looked like it would be a rout. The Delaspie forces were fierce, but they just couldn’t fight an enemy as mobile and powerful as the dragons.

“Can’t we get our dragons in their?” Tiana finally asked in desperation.

“We can bring them in, but they suffered quite a few casualties earlier. Many of the survivors are still heavily wounded,” Danae replied.

“Maybe, but even if they can’t fight, they could still be helpful. I think I have an idea…” Tiana pondered.

A few minutes later, the Delaspie warriors appeared to be in full retreat. Eager to press their advantage, the demonic dragons surged on. Suddenly, the Delaspie forces emerged again, but on the backs of their own dragons. Unable to fight the fiendish dragons directly, the Dragovigis survivors instead served as transportation as they quickly maneuvered above the charging evil dragons. Eager to press their new advantage, the Delaspie warriors (along with Dane and Rudious,) leapt straight onto the backs of the dragons. They knew their casualties would be great, either from the initial falls, the battles on top of the dragons, or the inevitable crash landings most of them would have to endure when their enemies die, but they didn’t care. If this battle meant their home would be safe, then it was worth it.

For a moment, it looked like the desperate gambit worked. And then the force dragon arrived. It was larger than any dragon on either side, and it approached the fight with little but amusement in its eyes. As it neared the fight, the remaining warriors of Delaspie, and in fact the entirety of Methosilang’s side, suddenly grew still. The sheer awe of the dragon seemed to be enough to stop Methosilang’s advancement.

And then it flew over the giants.

In a matter of seconds, hundreds of stones flew up to strike the monster. Most of them missed or simply bounced off of the creature, but a few struck true. The dragon reeled, more from surprise than pain, and then decided to deal with this threat directly. She angrily dove at the giants, but she underestimated the anger the Dragovigis natives felt for her. After all, she was the one that led all of their defenders away, letting Bas invade and nearly destroy their home. The ignored their earlier wounds and took to the air as one. Surprised by this attack, the force dragon was forced to the ground, which was exactly what the giants wanted. As dozens of dragons and scores of giants descended on the suddenly helpless-seeming beast, Danae realized something. “This being is our enemy, but we should not be her killer.”

Tal looked outraged. “Why? She’s an ally of Bas.”

Danae shook her head. “An ally of convenience and nothing more. More importantly, I fear that if we kill her, we’ll attract the ire of her species. That’s the last thing our battered world will need. I have an idea.”

She went to speak to an emissary for the Arcane Division. Moments later, Jarrle teleported into the battle. “Dragon!” he yelled in the most melodramatic way possible. “I cast thee out of our plane! I invoke the power of shadows to drive you away!”

The dragon’s eyes widened in confusion, but quickly she seemed to understand. Unsurprisingly, she was unable to resist the effects of Jarrle’s magic.

“What was that about?” Robin asked.

“I figured Jarrle’s little speech would make my plan obvious to the dragon, and apparently I was correct. I doubt such a spell would have affected a dragon of this caliber unless she wanted it to affect her.”

“So now she’s gone home?” Tonaca asked.

Danae smiled. “Now she’s gone to the Semiplanar Rift. Anything beyond that is up to her.”

This was the last thing Hestine needed today. By her own hand, her brother had died. Sure, he was a traitor and almost killed their sister, but he was still their brother. And now she was climbing up the back of a gigantic dire leopard as it was charging headlong through her army. When the creature reached the battle, she and the rest of her rogue’s contingent was the last group, save the Heroes of Methosilang themselves, who had the ability to stop it. Even so, many fell as they surrounded the creature and began to do what they did best on a massive scale: go for the vitals. The monstrosity that Phellis gave to Methosilang was a cat of inhuman, impossible proportions, but it was still a cat, and it still bled like every ordinary animal. Dozens of skilled rogues surrounded and even climbed on the creature, and it didn’t matter how small the weapons were compared to the cat when every strike severed an artery or sliced a tendon. Finally, as the wounded cat was nearing its last moments, Hestine had begun the long and arduous journey to the very top of the creature. Finally, she reached the head, and the next time the cat was momentarily distracted by another attack, she plunged her blade through a weak point in its skull, killing it almost instantly. The horrid beast collapsed to the ground, and she left the front lines for some rest and recovery. She wasn’t the most traditional princess or servant of her nation, but she was loyal and would do anything to protect it from destruction. That didn’t mean she had to like it.

Even after the death of the last of Bas’ champions, the battle was far from over. For almost a day, the two armies continued their war before Bas’ forces were finally routed. Many of her cultists and other followers were merely captured when they tried to retreat or surrendered, especially the gray-robed ones thanks to the Heroes’ encouragement. The fiends and other more unusual monsters were killed to the last, however. As for the mechanical forces, they suddenly stopped operating near the battle’s end.

Finally, the army neared Bas’ valley, but there it stopped. Even the other champions of Methosilang and her allies would be of no use in the final battle. It was up to the Heroes from here on. As they neared the crater in the middle of the valley, and the head of Bas herself came into view, they realized they had one last guardian to get past before descending into the crater and fighting their greatest enemy. Once again, the creature once known as Grockith stood before them.

Tal looked at their former friend sadly as they drew their weapons. “Grockith, is there no other way to do this? We were allies once before. We could be so again.”

Grockith said nothing, but the strands of energy emerged from his body as he advanced on the party, giving all the answer he needed.

“Very well, then,” Tal sighed. “If it’s any consolidation, none of us wanted it to be this way.”

The party began the fight fiercely, but it was soon obvious that they were having the same trouble the orcs and dragons did. Even the strongest attack by Bath or Danae’s most devastating spell barely scratched him. Grockith, on the other hand, was easily damaging the party with seemingly living whips of pure energy and explosive blasts. Even when Danae put up her usual prismatic sphere to protect herself, Grockith was able to somehow shatter it with a few attacks!

“This is ridiculous!” Tiana panted. “It looks like it’s doing more damage to itself than we are to…” she stopped as she realized what she said. Indeed, the living energy that emerged from Grockith left horrible wounds whenever he attacked. It was as if he was using his own blood for his attacks.

The fight from here on was brutal but predictable. The party concentrated on healing and defenses while Grockith slowly destroyed himself with increasing rage and frustration. Finally, he appeared too weak to even attack, and the party put him out of his misery with a few final attacks.

“I hope you can finally return to your family,” Robin said as they party buried what little remained of their former comrade. “It wasn’t your fault you were stuck in this time.”

Finally, nothing stood in the way of the Heroes. With both fear of the upcoming battle and excitement that this would soon be finally over, they descended into the crater.

OOC Notes: Though not role-played normally, this last battle wasn’t strictly a work of fiction either. The players contributed some suggestions for the final battle’s tactics, and the other battles were largely determined by random rolling. I did occasionally made changes to those results for dramatic purposes, but you’d be surprised how often they felt right.

LordVyreth

First Post
The Final Battle: Bas

If anything, the crater was even more enormous than they expected. Though they could see Bas well before they even entered it (unsurprisingly, given that she was several miles tall,) they decided to first travel the depths of the caverns underneath the crater. For one thing, they wanted to make sure Bas wouldn’t spring any surprise attacks on them during the final battle. However, the area was surprisingly unguarded, as if Bas either knew that any resistance she had left would be a waste on the Heroes or she used up everything she had in the war. Something about that last point bothered the party, but they had bigger concerns and didn’t dwell on it.

As they explored the caverns, the sheer depth of madness that Bas and her minions reached became evident. Random artifacts from the dozens of ruins of lost eras that Bas discovered were liberally scattered across the walls, floors, and even ceilings of the caverns, and the party was certain that if they had days to explore, they might actually find the sunken cities or weapons caches or whatever Bas discovered that helped unbalance power so completely. In one cavern, strange machinery similar to the monitors and keyboards the party once saw in the “dungeon” under Dragovigis filled the walls. Cultists of sorts were somehow attached to each of the consoles, and they continued to stare at the screens, seemingly unaware of the party’s presence or the battle that would soon ensue here. Another cavern was dominated by a huge pit containing nothing but corpses. Some were more cult members, as the robes suggest, leading the party to conclude that these were killed by Bas for disloyalty, failure, or just as sacrifices. Other bodies were more ambiguous, and some were not human or even remotely humanoid, suggesting that they were some more relics from the lost eras. Whether the Bas cultists simply gathered the bodies or if there were actual survivors of the eras that the cultists killed to steal their artifacts is unknown.

Finally, the party reached Bas. If she was terrifying from a distance, she was the stuff of nightmares up close. Only the upper half of her body was fully excavated, but the party couldn’t really see what exactly happed to her lower half, because the entire floor of the crater was covered with strange, organic root/tentacle protrusions that apparently have an origin at Bas herself! Most of the tentacles were somehow connected to and feeding dangling fruit/egg sacs that were partially translucent, revealing shadows of dark and unnatural creatures growing inside them. The upper half of Bas was moving slightly, as if she was suffering from a continuous and minor spasm, but whether she was even truly alive was unknown. Parts of her body were deteriorated, revealing bones and strange, alien organs, but she also seemed to be breathing slightly. Like her caverns, Bas herself was altered by the excavated relics. One of her gigantic arms was replaced with a claw-like mechanical monstrosity that was apparently cobbled together out of dozens of smaller machines from different era. Crystals of a likely psionic nature were haphazardly spread throughout her body. Some of it look like it was carefully-placed jewelry normally intended for much, much smaller, creatures. Others crystals, however, were simply imbedded in her flesh at various points, making it resemble shrapnel.

Much as they instinctively regretted it, the party began their journey to Bas. The ones who were lucky enough to fly did so, while others who couldn’t fly continuously and didn’t want to waste resources too early began a long and disgusting journey on top of the tentacles themselves. Finally, when the party came within a couple hundred feet of Bas, she finally opened her eyes and stared directly at the party.

You still insist on doing this? Bas asked them telepathically, perhaps surprisingly. It was nowhere near as formal or, well, villainous a reply as the party expected. It was almost pleading. We don’t have to.

Tal replied, with more patience then he thought he could muster, I think we have to at this point. You did attack us and threatened our civilization. Even if we left you alone, I think it would come to war again.

Bas angrily replied, I saved your civilization. Until I started, you were fighting a losing war against two empires, empires that are now dead, I might add. I deserve to rule over this world! I not only saved it, but I earned it after what my sisters put me through. They deserve being my servants. They’re the ones that should be listening to me!

Bath was the one to get angry next. They were justified in casting your out. You betrayed them and raised armies against them! You were lucky they let you live.

No, I had no choice, Bas retorted with a surprising sadness in her voice. Even then, they wouldn’t let me do anything! Everyone else had their roles and gifts that they bestowed upon the world, and I had nothing! I finally give them the gift of war, and they treat it like a curse! It’s just not fair. It’s not fair…

If it was possible to sob telepathically, the party was almost certainly that she would be. They come to the horrific realization about Bas as one: As evil and murderous as she was, Bas was no great ambitious villain; no conniving schemer with endless plans and a twisted amoral view of the world. She was just a spoiled, incredibly angry little girl expanded to horrifying divine levels. But she must be stopped all the same.

The time for talking was over, and both sides knew it. The party had made their preparations shortly before they reached Bas, so they were ready immediately to attack. At this point, everyone in the party wisely gained the ability to fly, so they got as far away from the tentacle floor as possible as they closed in with Bas. However, it wasn’t enough. The tentacles had incredible range and lashed out at the entire party as they began their attack. Most of the party was merely cut by the thorny tips of the tentacles, but Danae was entangled by the tentacles and was pulled screaming into the mass. Tonaca and Robin, who always intended to stay back a bit and attack from long range, flew down to help her, while Bath and Tiana pressed on. Tal flew even higher up, in an attempt to get out of the tentacles’ range, and fired at Bas from a distance using magic.

Bas, however, had more tricks up her sleeve than her tentacles. She raised her new machine arm and fired a spiraling light beam at Tiana, which left a brutal wound but failed to slow her down. She tumbled out of the way of Bas’ grasping arms while Bath charged straight at her. She plunged her sword straight into Bas, causing wounds and fissures to grow on the body to a degree far grater than even Bath expected.

But Bas was not finished; far from it. Just as Robin and Tonaca extradited Danae, the tentacles pulled back and released several nearby egg sacs. The sacs split open when they fell to the ground, and demons, including a Balor and a Pit Fiend, emerged from them! Bath saw the fiends and sighed with disappointment that she couldn’t go back to fight her racial enemies, but she knew who the real target was in this fight. She and Tiana continued to inflict disproportionately large wounds on Bas’ massive body while Bas flailed around and struck at them with her organic arm. At the same time, the crystals on her body glowed with energy, and they somehow sent Tal telekinetically crashing to the ground!

The fight continued like this for what seemed like ages. Bas alternated firing lasers, missiles, bursts of bullets, and other weapons from her unnatural arm with psionic attacks, all the while attacking Bas and Tiana with her good arm. Meanwhile, the tentacles would periodically strikes at all the party as one and try to capture one (usually Tal or Danae,) and otherwise released even more fiends, though fortunately few were as powerful as the Balor and Pit Fiend that emerged at first. Robin, Tal, and Danae were so busy fighting off the demons and rescuing each other from the tentacles that they barely had time to even fight Bas! Tonaca, however, was the most harried of the party. He was given the unenviable task of keeping everyone healthy and alive, which proved to be very difficult.

In fact, just as things looked like they couldn’t get any worse, Bas’ body started to break apart, and then it split right down the middle! For a second or two, the Heroes thought that they had finally finished their quest, before the horrible truth literally emerged. Out of the shell of her ruined body, Bas’ true form rose up. She was much smaller than she was in her old form (only about a hundred feet or two tall!) but she looked far more complete. There were no injuries on her perfectly-shaped body, and she could fly freely despite lacking wings or any other visible means of motion. She wore a dark-blue dress identical to the one the party often saw on her statues, and as expected, she wielded twin scimitars of immense size and power.

“What happened?” Tiana asked with desperation.

“It seems what we have always feared has now come true,” Danae replied, too shocked to show even the slightest hint of emotion. “Bas has finally risen to her full power once again. And I believe it’s possible that we were responsible for it.”

But Bath stared at Bas for a few seconds more before replying. “No, I have spent most of my life basking in the strength of a goddess, and she doesn’t have that power. She might be entering that stage of divine strength, and she certainly is more powerful now than she was when she was trapped in that thing,” she indicated the massive husk of Bas’ former body as she said this, “but she is not a true goddess yet. We can still stop her if we hurry.”

Fully aware of the consequences if they failed, the party engaged Bas’ new form with even grater determination. However, as Bath warned, Bas had become even stronger now. Instead of ineffectually flailing at them with an arm too large and bulky to truly function as a weapon, she was expertly striking everyone near her repeatedly with her twin scimitars. The good news, however, was that since Bas was no longer connected to her tentacles, the party no longer had to worry about their constant attempts to grapple some of the physically weaker Heroes or spawn fiendish backup. As a result, all six of the party members could effectively attack Bas now.

However, Bas still had more surprises. After engaging Bath and Tiana in melee for a short time, she withdrew briefly and created multiple gates to what apparently was her previously sealed extraplanar pocket dimension lair. Throughout the rest of the battle, armies of fallen celestials would emerge from the gates just long enough to attack the party once and then were immediately expelled back home. The attacks ranged from a bombardment of black light by dark lantern archons ten times as large as their natural size and an unholy lightning storm by fallen avorials to an infantry charge of fallen archons and angels led by an evil Solar!

The fight went on seemingly forever, and it was not without casualties. Bath died for the first time when she felt the full force of Bas’ twin scimitars after being heavily wounded earlier. And Robin died, for the first time for him as well, after being caught in the middle of a particularly brutal press by the fallen infantry.

However, just as Tonaca, Tal, and Danae had used up the last of their magic and all hope seemed lost, Tiana took advantage of a moment of arrogant distraction by Bas and plunged her blade into the back of the goddess’ head. Bas’ smug look ended instantly, to be replaced with a complete and total awareness of what happened. Her body plummeted to the ground just as quickly, where it crashed into the remains of her former body. She could bare get out one last thought, It can’t be over…, before both the new and old bodies started to rapidly disintegrate. In a matter of seconds, not a trace remained.

It was over. The massed armies of Methosilang, who witnessed the entire battle, let up a cheer and poured into the crater. The party, meanwhile, quickly gathered the wounded and the dead of their own and descended into the crater themselves to join their army in the celebration. And yet, while they knew they should be happy, as they went about the hours of mopping up that the exploration of the crater required, the situation bothered the surviving members of the party. It wasn’t the loss of some of their own that upset them, and for good reason. After all, at this point, something as simple as death couldn’t stop them for long unless it was truly their time to be at rest.

Their concerns were more complicated than that. The first was what they witnessed among their own army as it cleared out the crater and celebrated the victory. Part of it was the same breakdown of the common cause that they first witnessed in Methosilang, but the concern was deeper than that. The main reason Bas was such a threat was her control over the relics of lost eras. As long as she used them to gain power, the balancing factor of the Quill of Destiny was compromised. Destroying Bas was supposed to end that threat, but now their own allies were celebrating as they claimed the remaining relics of the crater and the ruins connected to it for themselves! At this rate, the unbalancing cycle would continue.

Their second worry involved the remaining allies of Bas. Notably, what happened to the Strife Masters? They were Bas’ four most powerful servants, yet they were not present for the war nor were they guarding their own goddess! Bas must have had a very important mission for them to justify their absence. Their greatest concern on the subject was confirmed when the celebration came to a horrible end by a message sent from home. Apparently as a result of its empire’s destruction, the aftershocks of the war, or Bas’ death, the Eye of Nerull fell from its supports and crashed into the sea under it. Normally this would be a good thing, but when it hit the bottom of the lake, it created a fissure that flooded and destroyed the city of Rally, an art-focused city that was protected and honored by Merida and Tepedin. As soon as he heard the news, Tal gravely pulled out a scrap of paper he obtained from Phellis almost a year ago:

When they who once knew death again return…..
……never-sleeping eye finally closes…
…….finds that which it never did when open, destroys what it always sought to destroy in life…….
………the chance to change destiny…

……………….history to be re-written…..

He read it and passed it around to his allies. It soon became evident that things were not over. Far from it; one battle remained, and it would be the most important battle of them all.

OOC: And so the final adventure draws near. There will be one more update in between which goes over the one last revelation before the event, and then it’s all about the Quill.

LordVyreth

First Post
The Return of the Quill: Awareness

“But there’s no way we can do this!” Tiana groaned. “We can’t fight off the Strife Masters in this condition! We just fought and destroyed Bas herself!”

Tal shook his head. “It appears we have no choice. If we let the Strife Masters get to the Quill, all our efforts are meaningless! They could bring back Bas with a word! Besides, we don’t have to defeat them. We just have to get control of the Quill long enough to keep them from changing destiny. Even if it costs us our lives, it’ll be worth the cost of preserving the world.”

With no time for discussion, Danae quickly gathered the party and teleported to the ruins of Rally. There wasn’t even time for more than a few moments of silence at the devastation they witnessed. Due to the war, much of the city was deserted as its populace either joined the army or fled to shelters, but even without the cost in lives, the loss was almost unbearable. Rally was a city blessed by the twin goddesses of Merida and Tepedin, their civilization’s heralds of art, culture, and beauty. That such a symbol of achievement could be destroyed so simply was incomprehensible.

Nonetheless, that was not the party’s primary concern. Carefully but quickly, they made their way through the ruins. They had no idea where they had to go, exactly, but something was driving them somehow. It was as if they instinctively knew where to go. They descended to the center of the city, where a massive rift in the natural floor of the city’s cavern had opened up. Rally was always a city known for its many lakes and waterways, and now that water, mixed with the vile fluid that emerged from the cracked Eye, was pouring down the hole into unknown depths. The party reached this rift, and after a moment of gathering their courage, they entered the tunnel…

And found themselves at the top of a mountain in the middle of a bright, sunny day. They were, understandably, confused. “Is this where the Quill can be found?” Robin asked, confused.

Danae looked around, but she soon replied, “No, I don’t think so. This mountain range looks familiar.” She pointed to a nearby mountain. “That looks like the mountain the Nightmare Prince’s manor was located at. But that means that this mountain shouldn’t be here. This is where Bas’ Valley is, or was. Or, perhaps, will be. I can’t explain it, but maybe we’re at a different point in time entirely?”

Their answer soon came to them, however, and literally. For in a matter of moments, Bha-Ael herself descended from the stars to meet them! “This isn’t exactly the past,” she explained. “This is, more precisely, a memory of our time. You have been to the Semi-Planar Rift and seen how past societies are memorialized there. This area represents the beginning of our own memory, if the civilization we fought for becomes nothing but. We sent you here for one final night of rest and discussion before your journey.”

“We?” Tonaca asked.

“Yes,” Bha-Ael replied, “Me and my Sisters.” As she spoke, the others arrived. Unlike Bha-Ael, who was once a mortal and who always retained her mortal body, the others arrived in their avatars.

Some of the avatars were people the party met before, and they were no surprise. Olivia Neddle, the librarian of Delaspie and Ordhari’s avatar, quietly arrived and sat down without a word. Mazziden, the child who was judged by Tsykie to need her the most, shyly reached the peak. She was able to mumble a few words of greeting, which seemed to make her very proud, before she joined the ranks of the others. And the arriving sounds of music introduced Alkurvas, the bard who served Merida and once helped the party fight the Nightmare Prince.

Others were people the party knew, but not as avatars. An old and extremely cranky gnome plopped himself down on a nearby rock and idly began to scribble something in a sketchbook. The others still didn’t know him until an awestruck Tiana introduced him as Penndrig, the ancient inventor and artist who created, among other things, the mural located at Delaspie’s Great Library. Damien, the party’s old friend and ally, shyly re-introduced himself as the new avatar of the magic goddess Lore. The mysterious woman who ran the Shrine of Life, the destination of one of Tal’s first adventures back when the party was much different, gave no name but called herself Nelkiss’s avatar. And, to Tal’s incredible embarrassment, a lovely woman introduced herself to the party as White, the avatar of the goddess Krista. When they insisted on an explanation, Tal quietly admitted he used to date her.

A few were people the party didn’t know at all. A half-orc named Shurdack introduced herself as the current avatar of Tregfillia. A physically weak but extremely eager-looking halfling soldier named Raddin Middleleaf said he was None’s unlikely champion. An extremely old elven noblewoman called herself Trimera and haughtily insisted that she was the avatar of Jolia.

Finally, one last avatar arrived. She was a girl wearing a familiar dark blue dress. She was barely older than Mazziden was or Tsykie was supposed to be, but the look of hatred she gave the party was far greater than any child could give.

“Oh, hello…Bas,” Bath sniffed as she recognized their adversary. “I guess we didn’t kill you completely, after all. What are you doing here? I can’t imagine you’d want to help us fight your own servants.”

Bas shrugged. “This isn’t my idea. I’m trapped in this memory now, thanks to you. The others are just projecting for now, but they’ll soon be trapped here with me. And we didn’t bring you here to help you; at least, that’s not the only reason.”

“Then what is this?” Tonaca asked, with some anger. “We don’t have time to talk. Unless we stop the Strife Masters, your world is doomed!”

Bha-Ael drew closer at this and explained, “You have no need to worry. Time doesn’t pass here naturally; it is just a frozen memory after all. You can rest here in peace and security, so you’ll be prepared for your final battle tomorrow. But we also wanted you to be aware of the consequences of this fight.”

“What do you mean?”

“Even if you stop the Strife Masters, we will inevitably leave this plane. We owe our power and even our existence to the whims of desperate beings and the energy of evil. That energy is dissipating, and without it we can no longer be there for you. It’s possible, even likely, that the old gods will return to lead you, but there’s no way to say.”

“Why are you telling us this? Are you asking us to fight for your existence, to use the Quill to save you?” Tiana asked, with more dubiousness in her voice than Bath or other more loyal followers of the Sisters seemed to possess.

“No. That is up to you at this point. We just wanted you to realize that the plane is in a state of flux now. Even if you stop the Strife Masters from using the Quill, things won’t remain the same. Something must be lost. But that is enough discussion for now. You must rest and prepare for your battle, and we can’t keep you here forever.”

The party began to make camp, but as they did, the Sisters subtly got the attention of Bath, Tiana, and Tonaca. Krista managed to whisper to each of them, “Before you made camp, we would like to talk to you for a while, and without your companions.”

Confused, the three managed to slip away from the camp unnoticed. “What’s this about?” Bath asked, though the sheer enthusiasm she showed while speaking to her goddesses almost ruined the stealthy nature of the conversation.

“We know we told you that we understand if you decide not to save us if you get the chance to use the Quill,” Bha-Ael explained. “We have faith in you that you would do what you think is best for our world. But while your allies have been our worshippers for most of their lives, they serve another authority above even us.”

“The Lady of Memory?” Tiana asks. “I know they spoke of her, but I never understood exactly what it meant.”

“Nobody is entirely sure who she is. All we know is that the three of them and the other ‘children’ of Lady Memory owe their very existences and more to her. The world itself adjusted for their existence, including the memories of others. If Lady Memory so desired, she could probably not only obliterate them from existence, she could make all of you, and possibly us, forget they ever did exist. Further, I believe that these children are really the souls of people that lived once before and worshipped Lady Memory from the old times. I suspect that Lady Memory existed in an older iteration of the universe that was erased by the Quill, and she wanted to regain power using the Quill through her servants. That possibility is a reality now, and since we don’t know who Lady Memory was, we don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing.”

“What do you want, then? You want us to fight our own allies for the Quill?”

“No, but we want you to use your own discretion. Despite their relationship, there’s no guarantee that your friends will choose Lady Memory when they have the Quill. They’ll likely use all they learned and know about her to make that choice, just as you must do with both your friends and with her.”

With the discussion finished, the party spent one last, restless night together. After this, the world would almost certainly be different. Many of them might not survive the battle, and they might even be enemies the next day. For now, though, they would rest as the heroes they so rightly earned.

The next morning, they gathered before the goddesses, and Bha-Ael sent them off. “I don’t know what will happen to us after tomorrow, but I wanted to let you know that all of us…”

“Ahem,” Bas coughed.

“Almost all of us are more proud of you than you could ever imagine. You fought harder and struggled through more difficulties than most beings could even conceive. You led wars, slew monsters older than all of you combined, and even made peace with your enemies. Regret nothing about your lives as you go into this last battle, and I know that if you live on after today, you’ll do whatever you can to bring peace and happiness to the world.”

And just as suddenly as they arrived, the party was home. The tunnel beckoned them, and slowly they descended into it to find the greatest artifact their dimension had ever seen: the Quill of Destiny.

OOC Notes: Okay, I previously said that the next post will be the last one, but I suspect I’ll end up breaking the finale into two: the fight, and the epilogue of the fight. I’m already getting some response from the players for the final battle, but I’ll need more to finish. Expect the next update in 10 days or so, so basically two weekends.

LordVyreth

First Post
The Return of the Quill: Conflict

The trip to the Quill’s current resting place was practically over before it started. Just like the party’s presence, this appearance of the Quill was clearly in opposition to its normal conditions.

“It would seem that Indigo’s concern about this situation wasn’t misplaced,” Danae commented as they descended through the tunnel. As they traveled, an illusion of a seemingly random creature’s head sputtered into existence for a second before fading out. Shortly afterwards, a mysterious voice spoke out of nowhere in a language that proved unintelligible, even to magical translation.

“Yes, this place practically reeks of desperation,” Tiana commented. “I somehow doubt the last epic, world-altering trials were this half-hazard.”

Finally, the party came to the very same doorway Petrach, Gurdal, and Ka’Dry’Log passed through over a thousand years ago. As before, the instant the party reached the door and first touched it, it and the entire corridor faded away. The party found themselves surrounded by the statues of gods, and except for the statues and the floor of the chamber itself, there appeared to be literally nothing beyond them, as if the room and the statues were floating alone in a void.

The chamber itself had the same disheveled look of the corridor leading up to it. The remains of an ornate hourglass lay shattered on the floor, and parts of the floor itself looked stripped away, leaving holes that revealed only the nothingness below the party. The party itself was waiting in an extension of the normally cylindrical floor on one side of the room, and as the chamber further materialized, it became obvious that there were three other alcoves at the other sides of the chamber, and they weren’t empty.

As expected, the opposite alcove contained the Strife Masters. Leading them was once again Phellis Mune, the spotty-haired were-leopard monk that the party encountered time and time again yet never had the chance to fight. He was accompanied by Affliction, who the party knew better as the plain-looking man that almost thwarted their attempt to destroy the dark moon. Also with him was a winged man of incredible beauty and nobility. Something betrayed his sinister nature, however, and Bath knew instantly that this was Allishira. The fourth Strife Master was only barely recognized by the party. He was Herbath, a gnome psion the party very briefly encountered when he was the companion to the Blade of Minds. He died almost instantly in the party’s ambush, yet he apparently came back from the dead and in a form that looked far stronger and more sinister. Speaking of once-dead enemies, the Strife Masters had a fifth in their group. She was Matkela, once a drow priestess and a cohort to the Lady of Blood. Her friend and mentor’s death and later betrayal apparently had a profound effect on the woman, as she now looked so warped that she was barely recognizable. She had mechanical limbs and armor similar to the implants the Nightmare Prince once had, she was equipped with countless psionic objects of power, and her scaly skin suggested that she was a lycanthrope like Phellis. It was as if all the other Strife Masters worked to make her a symbol of all their power.

The other alcoves had fewer enemies, but they were no less potent. The left one had a skeletal being whose equipment all displayed holy symbols of Nerull and who had an almost overwhelming aura of power and nobility. Though the party never saw him in person, this was certainly Petrach, also known as the Puppet, and the former ruler of the Undead Empire! He was accompanied by Veladoma, the vampire woman that the party reluctantly allied with when they attacked the Lady of Blood. The creatures in the last alcove were more recognizable. One was Ka’Dry’Log, also known as the Head that Rules (or, rather, Ruled,) the Claw. The party met him twice, though like Phellis, they never had the chance to fight the evil ruler before. He was also accompanied by a familiar figure. In his case, it was Khat’Shir’Mol, the orc gunner the party fought, defeated, and even killed twice before! It was clear that death would not stop him until he had this last chance at revenge.

The party sprung into action as soon as they saw their many new enemies, but Phellis calmly shook his head. “Don’t bother,” he smugly said. “The remains of some ancient ward still exist in this chamber, preventing us from entering or acting against each other. I suspect that in earlier days, this room was considered a sacred place. No action could be taken against another when the Quill was in use. I suspect that it might be different this time, though.”

Though neither The Puppet’s skeletal face nor The Head’s metallic one had any real range of expression, it almost seemed like a smile passed between the two former allies. “No, it was much different last time,” Petrach said. “I have to admit, I never thought we’d ever see this place again. It was supposed to be the greatest of blessings to see it even once. Did you imagine that we’d return to this place, my old friend?”

The Head did his best to shrug given his metal body. “How blessed were we? Maybe we had it better than most, but here we stand, our empires ruined and in bodies centuries older than nature would allow.”

“If you despise the Quill’s power so much, you’re welcome to go home and leave it to us,” Tiana snarled.

The Head laughed a hollow, artificial laugh. “And let you upstarts ruin another era of our world like you did this one? Never. Besides, if the Quill let us return for another chance, I’m sure it had good reason. Compared to what we had to endure to even get to the Quill last time, you’re lucky just dealing with us.”

The taunting and posturing between the four sides continued until, at last, the artifacts materialized in the center of the room. Inconveniently, the Book of Destiny appeared a distance from the Quill, and all sides realized that since both were necessary for either to be useful, this fight would be much more difficult than even their expectations prepare for.

And then, all at once, it started. The barriers were gone, and the free for all began. Not everyone even went for the artifacts immediately. Some of the less able combatants, like Danae and Herbath, remained behind to wait for the right moment. Elsewhere, Bath and Allishira ignored the artifacts entirely to begin their own personal feud.

The first to successfully obtain the Quill and Book were Tiana and Phellis, respectively. Tiana quickly ducked to the back of the party, letting Tonaca protect her magically. Phellis tried to gain similar support from his fellow Strife Masters, but he was a step too slow. Petrach effortlessly held him magically, letting Veladoma retrieve the Book. Before she could do a thing with it, however, she became the fight’s first casualty when Tal, Herbath, Affliction, and Khat simultaneously focused their fire on her, reducing her to her gaseous form almost instantly. Robin scooped up the Book and quickly passed it to his safest ally, Danae, before being overwhelmed himself. “Tiana, pass the Quill to Danae, quickly!” he shouted as he fought of several attackers.

Tiana hesitated. She certainly wanted her ally to have the Quill more than their many enemies, but the words of the Sisters echoed through her. Nonetheless, she anxiously decided to trust her companion for now and threw the Quill at Danae. Danae was prepared for this opportunity and quickly erected a Prismatic Sphere around her, protecting her long enough to write the first words into the Book in over a thousand years. It was hard to see exactly what she wrote in the middle of a battle, but Tiana strained to get a glimpse regardless. She groaned inwardly when she saw that the first two words written were what she feared the most, “Lady Memory.” One way or the other, the biggest unknown factor in this situation just took priority.

Before Danae could write a second line in the book, however, she was ambushed by two powerful forces. First, Ka’Dry’Log took advantage of his golem-like body and passed into the sphere effortlessly. As he began his attack on her, he was joined by Phellis, who by now had recovered from Petrach’s spell and transformed in his were-dire leopard form for the first time in the party’s experience. He used his monk skills to evade most of the sphere’s effects and quickly joined in on the brutal attack on Danae. In a matter of moments, the brave and intelligent wizard was no more!

Her killers each quickly stole one of the artifacts and then, not trusting the other, fled back outside of the sphere. Instantly, they were under attack by the enraged remainder of the party and all the competitors. Phellis anticipated this, however, and quickly tossed the Quill to Allishira while he ducked out of the battle long enough for Matkela to heal his wounds. The Head, who was surrounded by a furious Tal and a greedy Puppet, tried the same trick, but he didn’t count on the Strife Masters’ numbers and unity. Herbath, clearly prepared for this, telekinetically caught the Book in mid-throw and sent it to Allishira as well. Before anyone, even Bath, could stop him, Allishira grinned evilly and wrote his own contribution in the Book!

At this point, Allishira and his Strife Masters seemed unstoppable. Not even Bath could do much to defeat her rival, especially as long as he still had all of his fellow Strife Masters to support him, and as long as Allishira held the Book and the Quill, he could make the future worse and worse for those opposed to Bas. And yet, as invincible as he seemed, all it took to stop him, for at least a while, was a word. Specifically, it took the word of Tonaca, a man who didn’t even come from this world, yet whose faith in its people’s inherent goodness was no less weak from it. With one word, Allishira was seemingly cast out of the chamber, leaving the artifacts again unattended.

A scramble again started, and it had a further casualty. Herbath tried to claim them for himself this time, but the Head wasn’t going to fall for that trick again. With almost unheard of speed, Khat fired a half dozen rounds of ammo into the tiny gnome vampire, and The Head quickly finished the job. Like Veladoma, Herbath wasn’t technically destroyed, but he was certainly rendered irrelevant for the sake of this battle.

Before The Head could take advantage of his victory, however, he was trapped himself in a force field projected by Affliction. Bath, now lacking any noteworthy targets, focused her attacks on the fallen emperor, giving Robin and Tiana the chance to scoop up the artifacts and toss them to Tal. Instead of using the artifacts himself, however, Tal quickly placed a hand on his ally and teleported both of them inside Danae’s own prismatic sphere. While Robin kept his eye on Phellis and the rest of the Strife Masters, Tonaca began to write.

An unsettling calm briefly filled the melee. Of all the heroes, Tonaca’s interest in the world was the most unknown given that he alone didn’t truly consider it his home. The pause was only a brief one, however, before the battle resumed.

Of course, with the exceptions of Phellis and The Head, traveling through the prismatic barrier of an arch-mage was far too risky to attempt, even for artifacts like the Quill and Book. Affliction, however, solved this in his usual logical way. If there was literally nothing below the floor of this cavern, one can easily fly under the floor and enter the sphere from below! To demonstrate this theory, he dived over the edge of the cavern, sprouted metallic wings almost instantly, and then fired a disintegration ray under the dome, creating a small but usable hole. Affliction, Khat, and Puppet quickly moved to gain access to the book, with the rest of the party’s enemies following right behind.

But Tonaca wouldn’t let evil get control of the artifacts so easily, nor would he die just as Danae did. If nothing existed below this floor, then the answer was simple. He merely dropped the Quill and Book down the hole, into the bottomless void!

His enemies were frozen with shock for just a moment, and the first to react to this sudden reversal was his own ally Tiana. Void or no void, she dived without hesitation over the edge of the chamber, catching the Book and Quill in mid-flight. Affliction chased after her, but the others were uncertain about what would happen if they fell too far in this strange realm and remained in the chamber. Tiana hastily wrote her own future into the Book before it, the Quill, and she vanished out of sight.

Exactly what Tiana finally encountered on her descent would never be known, for she was never seen in this reality again. Even though she had the ability to fly from a magic item, by the time she got the chance to use it, it was apparently too late. The artifacts, however, were far more difficult to destroy or otherwise remove from the world. A few moments later, the Book and the Quill re-appeared exactly as they did the first time and exactly in the same place. The fight would continue on, but as the mad rush for the items of power began, Tal noticed something out of the corner of his eye. The hourglass that he had previously assumed was broken nonetheless was filling up. By the look of things, it was almost half full, suggesting that this melee would definitely have an ending after all.

Before either artifact could be grabbed, however, Affliction decided to use his plan a second time and disintegrated the floor under the artifacts! They fell before they could be caught by anyone else, giving Affliction brief control of both artifacts. However, he didn’t take into account one of the weaknesses of his plan: between the holes in the floor and the open edges of the chamber, there were plenty of openings to attack him. Even with Phellis and Matkela fighting to protect their ally, a hail of magical attacks and bullets rained down on the already wounded NAHULI, followed immediately by a vengeful Bath eager to even the score from their last fight. Before Affliction could write a word, his body was utterly disintegrated, leaving nothing but a barely visible cloud of nano-machines. Again the Book and Quill fell, but this time they were caught by Robin, who flew underneath Affliction while the rest of his enemies attacked him from above. He was obviously the next target of the hail of weapons, but unlike Affliction, Robin conveniently had an avenging angel between him and his enemies. He still barely survived the constant barrage of magic and projectiles sent at him (and the cloud that was once Affliction was completely destroyed in the attack as well,) but Robin was able to get his words into the Book before he finally could suffer any longer, and his unconscious or dead body silently fell to join Tiana.

It was obvious to all who remained what would happen next. Just like before, as soon as Robin reached the edge of the plane, the Book and Quill would return to the chamber. If they returned to the same location as last time, however, they would start falling immediately, thanks to Affliction’s handiwork. As quickly as possible, everyone prepared to grab the artifacts the instant they returned and before they fell out of reach again. It would just be a matter of timing. Surprisingly, the one to grab both artifacts out of the air was Khat! He laughed triumphantly over finally getting the chance to get his revenge on the “heroes” that killed him twice, and as The Head moved to protect his servant from harm, he prepared to write.

However, once again, his moment of triumph was snatched away, and this time neither he nor anyone else in the room saw it coming. From seemingly out of nowhere, Prince Khaspar’s ghost emerged and quickly floated into Khat’s body! Khat’s laughter was suddenly replaced by something far more twisted and cruel.

The Head, however, was not about to let Khaspar succeed. He didn’t know the former servant of Bas as well as the party did, but he learned quite a bit about him as a result of Khaspar’s attempts to sabotage his empire. In fact, he remembered that Khat himself described the symptoms of his master’s “sickness” in a way that greatly resembled the ghost’s own form. He didn’t want to destroy his own servant, but he’d be damned if the monster responsible for so much of Khat’s suffering would be allowed to use his body as a tool. With one swing of his axe, Khat was dead, and his body no longer useable by the evil ghost.

“Get him!” an angry Tal shouted, and for a brief moment, friend and foe alike worked together. Khaspar was as much an enemy to the orc and undead empires as he was to Methosilang, and Bas’ worshippers were well aware of his own treasonous actions. Khaspar, like the vampires before him, couldn’t be killed in a battle like this, but the destruction of his ectoplasmic body would prevent his return by several days, long after it would relevant.

Only one set of hands focused on the Book and Quill while the sudden flurry of violence took place, and it belonged to a being thought defeated. With a laugh, the returning Allishira claimed the artifacts for a second time! Attacks were inevitable, but they were too late. By the time anyone could even come close to harming him, he wrote a second passage!

“How is this possible?” Tonaca asked. “My holy word should have sent him out of the plane entirely. He shouldn’t have been able to return for another 24 hours.”

Oddly enough, the Puppet answered his question. “What makes you think we can even leave this plane?” he snarled. “We’re not home right now; we’re in the Quill’s demi-plane. If it’s like the Rift, I’m guessing he can’t leave this place any more than we can. You spell likely sent him just to the edge of the void, and it was just a matter of time before he found his way back.”

Bath growled. “Well, I know one way to get rid of him.” So saying, she tackled her nemesis in mid-flight. The Book and Quill went flying, preventing anyone from paying further attention to the fight. The last thing Tal saw was Bath and Allishira grappling their way downwards into the void. Neither could penetrate the other’s defenses effectively enough to do any real damage, but they still could compete in a test of strength. And as long as they were grappling each other, they were unable to fly, making their destination inevitable.

Meanwhile, while most of the party and the Strife Masters were distracted by their ally’s battle, The Head seized his chance. Quickly he grabbed both artifacts and prepared to write. As he began his entry, he ignored the attacks from his rivals (his body was immune to most of their spells anyway,) and smiled nostalgically to himself. The last time he had this chance, he needed the power of the Book to even understand how to write! And since then, his wisdom and might increased beyond what even he could dream of. Well, he won’t let his second opportunity to go waste, nor will he let the loss of everything from his empire to his last loyal servant go to waste.

No sooner did he finish his entry, however, when The Puppet finally removed his oldest rival. His magic couldn’t directly hurt The Head’s golem-like body, but the floor he was standing on was another story. One blast of infernal fire later, The Head was sent plummeting to the void that claimed so many already. However, just as The Puppet moved to pick up the Book and Quill, which The Head dropped as he scrambled to find a handhold in vain, Tonaca eliminated this threat as well in the simplest way possible; he merely turned undead. The look of amusement The Puppet had at the very possibility such a thing could affect him was replaced by one of fear and horror when the might of Tonaca’s faith actually was successful! The Puppet was sent fleeing over the edge, and for one last time Petrach and Ka’Dry’Log were together as they met their ultimate fate at the edge of the void.

With time running out, it appeared that there were only four survivors to fight for the artifacts: Phellis, Matkela, Tonaca, and Tal. With much of the chamber destroyed and only a few safe places remaining, the fighting intensified and the Book and Quill changed hands quickly. The first one to reach the artifacts after the loss of The Puppet was Phellis. Matkela quickly moved in to protect her ally as Phellis quickly inserted his own interpretation of how the future should be.

Tonaca and Tal responded with as many powerful attacks as they could muster so late in the battle, but as soon as he finished his writings and things looked dire, Phellis simply charged in front of her defender, tossed the artifacts to her, and then became her protection! By the time Tal forced her way past him, she managed to contribute to the Book as well.

Between Tonaca and Tal, however, the surviving party members were able to wrest the artifacts away from Matkela long enough for Tal to grab them and write his own addition into the Book. But it was a costly victory. Tonaca absorbed the attacks of Phellis during the entire exchange, and even with his healing magic he barely had enough energy to stand. Even worse, as soon as Tal finished his writing, he faced the full wrath of Matkela, who was briefly paralyzed thanks to Tonaca. She, like Phellis, had long reverted to her lycanthropic form (a were-snake, in her case,) and between her natural powers and her half-machine weaponry, she had enough power to slay the unfortunate wounded sorcerer in a matter of moments!

Tonaca, suddenly left alone, quickly backed to the edge of the chamber. As Phellis smiled and watched, Matkela descended on the priest. She raised her many weapons and was just about to finish him when a greatsword flashed and neatly cut off her head.

Bath had returned. She took only a moment to glance at Tonaca and confirm his safety before she flew at the wounded Phellis. Phellis, realizing that he suddenly was at the disadvantage, looked at the draining hourglass, gave one last smirk, and leapt off the side of the chamber, deciding to risk the void instead of the angry celestial.

Bath quickly gathered the Book and Quill after seeing the hourglass had enough sand for one last entry. As she did, Tonaca asked, “How did you survive? I thought the void claimed you.”

Bath shook her head. “Allishira and I fought to the edge of the plane. I just happened to be forcing him down from above at the time. As soon as I saw that he disappeared, I got back here as soon as I could. I suppose it’s not the ultimate victory that I wanted, but at least I know that when we matched our wills, I was the strongest. It will have to do for now.”

So saying, she took the Quill and Book and finished her entry just as the hourglass filled. And, once again, things started to change….

OOC Notes: Expect the final update next weekend. It will include the actual entries into the Book of Destiny, the epilogue of the campaign, and a bit of a teaser for my next one, which should begin early April depending on my player recruitment efforts. But there will be more on that next week.

As for the entries, four of the six entries by the characters were submitted by the players. The other two, along with the NPC entries, were made by me. I decided before I got any entries how to handle the number and order of entries. Basically, there would be six entries plus the number of required entries. Everyone who submitted an entry was required to get one, and I decided one of the NPCs definitely would get an entry as well. Anyone want to guess who? So, four submissions + the obligatory NPC + the random six entries = the 11 entries we ultimately got. All sixteen competitors (including Prince Khaspar) had an equal chance of getting an entry, and I didn’t remove anyone from further entrees until they got two, though the only one to end up getting two was Allishira.

The lives lost during the fight, however, were mostly for the sake of story convenience. At the level the party was at, nothing short of a TPK would have permanently destroyed them, and the power of the Quill more than rendered any deaths irrelevant anyway.

LordVyreth

First Post
Epilogue

What was written:

1 (Danae)-Lady Memory returns to power; her children unite for her.

2. (Allishira 1st)-Bas is reborn and gains her rightful place in pantheon

3. (Tonaca)-Sunlight dancing through leafy canopy. Rolling hills and gentle breezes.

4. (Tiana)-Whatever happens, I find a place to freely live life.

5. (Robin)-Methosilang will never be discovered or need aid of others.

6. (Allishira 2nd)-All planar beings learn to obey and fear my power.

7. (Ka’drylog)-I reclaim my empire and rule a land of shadows.

8. (Phellis Mune)-All who think like me escape to a new world.

9. (Matkela)-I only wish to be reunited with my friend Kulstra.

10. (Tal)-All races will flourish and live in balance for eternity.

11 (Bath)-Bha-Ael's reign and truth and justice shall continue

Whatever the results of the Quill were, they weren’t immediately apparent to Bath and Tonaca as they suddenly found themselves back in the same tunnel they used to reach the Quill. They brought Tal and Danae’s bodies with them for future resurrection, and when they left the tunnel, they found Robin’s unconscious but still living body as well. Tiana, however, was nowhere to be found in any state.

It was only after the party’s return to the Valley of Bas, where much of the Methosilang army was still establishing a camp, when things began to change. The first and most noteworthy of these events was later known as the Return of the Gods. The people of Methosilang, once they realized Bas wouldn’t immediately be resurrected to destroy them, held an official day of celebration to recognize their victory. Midway through the day, however, the sky parted, and gods of all kinds descended from the heavens to proclaim their renewed promise to the world. Lady Memory led the old gods, but she was accompanied by all the old gods. Wee Jas was there, along with Pelor, Vecna, Boccob, and even a greatly weakened and cowed Nerull. But the old gods were not there to seek an absolute dominance over the people, either. The Sisters, once trapped in a parasitic state with Nerull, were renewed and apparently freed, letting them work with the old gods. Bha-Ael was still given reign over her Sisters, but otherwise she treated the returning old gods as peers. Even Bas was allowed a rightful place in this new order, and her sins were forgiven by the converged pantheon.

With the return of the gods, civilization itself reached a new era of peace and tolerance. Just like Bas, the mortal enemies of peace and justice were given forgiveness and a place in the new society. Ka’Drylog lost his old name and his control over the dragons, but he was able to rally enough orcs and other humanoids to create a new empire that lived more peacefully with its neighbors. Without the safety of the Dark Moons or the interior of Fierypyre, they moved into the mountains, where they forged a new kingdom in the caverns and shadowy canyons of their rocky home. Even Petrach, ever the opportunist, realized he could no longer continue his unlife in this new order. He voluntarily sought resurrection and encouraged it among his former minions. Perhaps one of the most touching moments of this new society occurred when Matkela was resurrected by Bas’ surviving and now harmless worshippers. Matkela was alive again, but she was still warped physically and mentally by all the changes her former Strife Master allies made to her. Even so, she finally was able to peacefully seek out her long-time best friend, the equally disturbed Shekuldellstra. Though she largely recovered from the insanity of her past years, Shekuldellstra was still constantly at war with herself as her celestial and fiendish aspects fought. If anyone in this plane could understand the chaos Shekuldellstra felt, it was Matkela now. The two old friends reunited and immediately fell back into the routine of camaraderie that they had back before the wars and deaths that altered both of their lives.

As for the Methosilang natives, they began to settle on the surface. With aid from the gods, they were able to quickly restore the warped and beaten natural to its original beauty. New Methosilang, as the natives called their new capital, was a place of sunlight dancing through the canopies, of rolling hills and gentle breezes. Even the drow, both Benefactor and Malefactor, lived in the shady realms of the surface or near the surface underground, for they found the idea of returning to the old cities of Methosilang distasteful due to all the painful memories they brought. As a result, few minded when, years later, a massive earthquake came seemingly out of nowhere and caused the entire mountain of Methosilang to sink countless miles into the earth. It was never discovered again, but it had served its purpose. There was no need to find or aid the lost city. The residents of Methosilang and the other new kingdoms were content to let the city sleep.

And thus, the endless era of Peace began. Methosilang, the Sisters, and other relics of this era never entered the Semi-Planar Rift, and in fact the Rift itself broke down in the ensuing years, for it had no further purpose. Soon, the peace and prosperity of the realm extended to the other planes, from the noble realm of Mount Celestia to the intrigue-filled city of Sigil. Even evil and war-torn lands from Pyrodessy to the Abyss were affected. In the end, all races flourished and lived in balance for eternity. However, even this seeming Utopia didn’t please everyone.

As the changes began, Indigo, known to the natives of the plane as The Indigo Entity or simply TIE, sighed as she watched the inevitable. “Well, I expected this would happen. I certainly didn’t think this experiment would succeed where every other one failed. Still, I had some hope that these heroes could turn around destiny and keep the process running.”

From outside the plane, and taking advantage of a short break from her new divine administration, Lady Memory snits, “You’re not the only one who didn’t get what she wanted from this mess. Sure, I regained power, but I didn’t want anything like this!”

Indigo shrugged. “You brought this on yourself, Lolth. Reincarnating the souls of some of your most loyal worshippers was a clever concept, but you made the environment too chaotic. Your mistake was freeing Bas. Sure, it created a situation so bad that the Quill re-appeared, letting your “last believers” alter history in your favor. But the situation was so bad that they barely explored their relationship to you. They were so busy protecting their friends and kin that they never had the chance to really reflect on if it was really theirs. And what was the point of attacking Galatron and his wife?”

Lolth/Lady Memory fumed. “I was supposed to allow that blasphemy? She betrayed me and started a family with my enemy! And if it continued, she could have revealed my whole plan to the mortals, exposing the truth to the other gods that I broke their pact to avoid this plane as long as Nerull reigned. As it was, Moradin got suspicious and almost ruined everything with his two believers.”

“Well, nearly everything was ruined anyway. Did you really think that with the mindset your believers were reincarnated to have, they would have supported you if they knew you were Lolth or that you were the one responsible for freeing Bas? If you didn’t turn two of your believers into Malachim and get the party on their side, they might have actually believed it when Legion told them the truth. And as far as I can see, you got exactly what you wanted. You became a goddess again, and you serve a major role among the pantheon. Thanks to your believers, you’re even more powerful now than you were before this era.”

Lolth didn’t seem to appreciate it, however. “I never wanted this! My proud warrior people disgracefully befriending my enemies? When they were allies with humans, dwarves and the accursed surface elves, it was enough for me to betray the gods and interfere directly with the world. And now they’re befriending everyone! It’s an insult to everything I taught them for millennia! Can’t you do anything about it?”

Indigo shook her head. “Not now. My power comes from the flow of power that enters a dimension to sustain and change it. That power has stopped flowing now. This is what is known as a Climax Cascade among my fellow Creators. The entire dimension is entering a period of irresistible stasis. To its inhabitants, it may appear to be an eternity. Outside of the plane, the same isn’t true. It could exist for eons or disappear in an instant, but either way, they’re past the point of no return. You and the rest of the dimension’s inhabitants will never know war or chaos again. There’s nothing left for me to do but gather the refugees and start a new experiment somewhere else.”

With that, Indigo left, but she didn’t leave alone. As Phellis demonstrated when he wrote in the Quill, there were mortals as well who didn’t enjoy this new era of eternal peace and who wanted to find a new home. Phellis was among those that fled with Indigo, but there were many other familiar faces among the refugees. Nature’s Wrath, the undead monstrosity created from the giant head of an animal that the party first encountered in Legion’s Temple, floated among the refugees with an army of skeletal animals. Devlin, the half-vampire that once was a member of the party but ended his career as a minion of Bas, also accompanied the refugees. Allishira, surprisingly, also joined the pilgrimage. He was loyal to Bas, and he intended to spread her story and that of the other lesser Sisters to his new home, but that peaceful world held nothing for him and his ambitions. He didn’t want to be a mere celestial servant any more, not even one as powerful as a Solar. He wanted to the absolute voice of divinity, the ultimate representation of Logos himself.

As expected, a disproportionate number of the refugees were evil, as they had the greatest difficulty with a plane of eternal peace. But not all of them were of this philosophy. Wong Fe Hong, who had been in the Rift ever since the party first entered it, finally found his freedom through Phellis’ plan. He was joined by another member of the party, albeit one he never personally met before.

Tiana looked over the collection of refugees and frowned. This wasn’t how she expected her writings to be interpreted, but so be it. Phellis looked at the obvious discomfort of his former enemy and chuckled. “If you want, I’m sure you could still go back and join your friends in their bliss. Or is eternal peace not good enough for you?”

Tiana grumbled, “I’m sure I’d get a more welcome reception than you would. I can’t imagine even Bas would be too pleased with you abandoning her. My reasons to leave are my own, as are yours. And keep in mind that this truce won’t necessarily last past our arrival to wherever Bas is taking us.”

Phellis seemed unconcerned with Tiana’s barbs. “I know far more about Bas’ plans now that I’m safely out of her grasp. I worshipped her loyally before, but that was before I knew she intentionally infected me with lycanthropy and offered me a way to control my mind in exchange for that loyalty. If she didn’t assist me, I would have been reduced to a chaotic and slavish beast years ago thanks to my curse. But now I’m powerful enough to resist its mental influence even without her help. I seem far more appreciative and grateful to get this second chance than you do, I should note.”

After saying this, he turned to Indigo, who was guiding them to their next destination and protecting their mortal forms from the dangers of interdimensional travel, and added, “And I do appreciate your assistance in getting this second chance.”

Indigo smiled. “What else could I do? It was written in the book, after all.”

Phellis chuckled. “Somehow, I don’t think that you were under any real obligation to follow the Quill’s last additions. It can’t be more than a trinket to you. So, where exactly are you taking us? What should we expect?”

Indigo explained to him and the rest of the travelers. “It shouldn’t be too strange from your perspectives. Certainly it follows most of the same rules for magic, the physical realm, and even most of its native creatures. But I didn’t have nearly as much influence in this world as I did in your home. As a result, there’s nothing like the lost secrets of the Quill to worry about. In fact, it’s a very untamed realm; one that you could accomplish much in. It attracted my attention, though, because it does have one very noteworthy artifact from “out here,” the Multiverse at large. Hopefully some of you can try to figure it out and take care of it for me.”

“So what is this untamed land?” Tiana asked.

“Well, some of the natives call it Mesion…” Indigo replied.

OOC Notes: Well, that wasn’t the ending to the campaign I expected, but I think it makes quite a bit of sense given the party’s desires as specified in the Quill. Even if I couldn’t end this in the way I originally intended, with the final fight for the Quill being done in actual combat, I have to admit that would’ve been difficult to do online, anyway. And I’m glad I at least got the chance to conclude the story after so long.

As you might have guessed, that ending wasn’t entirely random, either. Mesion is my next planned campaign setting, so I thought I’d give you a bit of a teaser for what to expect. Now, I don’t know when exactly I’ll be running this next game. My current plan is to start at the beginning of April, but first I want to recruit a new group. I enjoyed playing the game online with my friends, but I have to admit it just doesn’t work for me as well as a classic tabletop game. I have two almost guaranteed players, but now I’m looking for at least two and possibly more. I am open to any suggestions.

Well, that’s all I have to write. If this Story Hour will have any further updates, it’ll be up to you. I’m ready to answer any questions you may have. This could be my opinion on parts of the game, mechanics questions, or just elaborations on the storyline or two clear up any confusion you might have. I know this has been a lurker-friendly story hour, but I am eager to hear from all of you now that we’re finished. Either way, thanks for reading the chronicles of my game, and I hope to see some of you when I start a Story Hour for Mesion!

LordVyreth

First Post
Well, that restoration was less painful than I thought. I forgot how long it took me to get out the last two adventures Story Hours. Unfortunately, since Mesion's pre-emptive recaps were just parts of the main Mesion information files, I don't have an easy way to just add them all back to recreate it. It'll take a bit more time, but I should have time to get it set up later tonight. And expect the first official update of Mesion sometime in the next day or two.

As for this Story Hour, I'm sorry to lose the comments from the fans, but at least the Story Hour itself is saved, even if it is finished. I'd like to hear from any new and old fans if they have any additional comments to add.

LordVyreth

First Post
Just letting everyone know that I know there haven't been many updates lately. Like I warned, last month was busy with other writing projects, but we missed a game due to Thanksgiving vacation, so I'm not much behind. I have a game this Saturday, and expect the next update a few days from there.

Remove ads