Converting True Dragons

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Total Mystara novice here, and the original thread gives a 404- what's a "true dragon?"
In 3.X D&D and offshoots, it's a dragon with all the usual age categories from wyrmling to great wyrm, like the metallic and chromatic dragons. Opal, the one we're converting now, isn't really a true dragon since he's unique and doesn't have age categories. But he is a deity-like overlord for many of the types of true dragons, which is why we're converting him in this thread.

Cleon

Legend
Total Mystara novice here, and the original thread gives a 404- what's a "true dragon?"

It's a term for a "proper dragon" that matures through age categories or a Unique dragon with an equivalent level of power, like Bahamut.

For example, a 3E True Dragon hatches out as a Wyrmling and can grow through twelve age categories, with the final one being Great Wyrm.

If you're old school and play a Mystara campaign using the "classic" Basic/Expert/Companion/Master/Immortal rules the standard dragons are ranked by Size Category rather than Age Category, being either Small, Large and Huge. In BECMI, a Large Dragon has pretty much 150% the Hit Dice of a Small Dragon, while a Huge Dragon has 200% the HD. The attacks and spell use of the BECMI dragon also get more powerful with Size.

By contrast, there are draconic monsters like Wyverns and Dracimeras that might technically be a type of dragon, but they aren't True Dragons. Like a chimpanzee is a Hominid but isn't a human.

Cleon

Legend
:p

Let's go with floating disc. We don't use that one very much.

Next, Pearl has
2nd—blindness/deafness, cat's grace, detect thoughts, hideous laughter, mirror image;

Maybe swap cat's grace out for another ability booster? Detect thoughts is also redundant due to an at will SLA. And hideous laughter is 3/day. Thoughts on replacements? Want to go with a druid spell for one of them?

Hmm, eagle's splendor for the ability booster?

I'd say barkskin and lesser restoration have the greatest utility but we've already picked those as cleric spells.

How about giving it one or both of barkskin and lesser restoration as sorcerer spells so Opal can use them multiple times and substituting more "situation" druid spells as Cleric picks since he can only cast those once? Like, say tree shape, soften earth and stone or warp wood.

Cleon

Legend

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'd be happy with eagle's splendor. Then I agree with switching both barkskin and lesser restoration to sorc spell casting. Let's replace them in the cleric list with soften earth and stone and warp wood.

OK, next Pearl has
3rd—arcane sight, displacement, haste, major image;
How about replacing one of the illusions with something like deep slumber?

Cleon

Legend
I'd be happy with eagle's splendor. Then I agree with switching both barkskin and lesser restoration to sorc spell casting. Let's replace them in the cleric list with soften earth and stone and warp wood.

Updating Opal the Sun Dragon Working Draft.

OK, next Pearl has
3rd—arcane sight, displacement, haste, major image;
How about replacing one of the illusions with something like deep slumber?

There are very few creatures what 10 HD of would pose any real opposition to Opal, so that seems like a waste of a slot.

Maybe go for a druid spell? There aren't that many that would have much point though. I guess he could use neutralize poison or protection from energy on allies, but those effects don't affect him. I guess the ability damage from poison is decent at that level, but it'd have a better DC as a arcane/cleric spell.

Upon reflection, the Cleric Spell options are way better, such as remove curse.

Remove ads