Craven feat: overpowered?

Thanee said:
Then Weapon Specialization also improves with level. ;)

True enough! :D

Of course, depending on how you look at it, you could construct a pretty decent argument that WWA and Weapon Focus actually degrade with level.

After all, making 6 attacks when you could normally make only 1 is a huge improvement. Likewise, +2 AB instead of +1 AB is a 100% improvement. 6 attacks vs. 4, and +9 instead of +8? Not so much. :D

Goolpsy

First Post
It isn't that broken, well it is, and its not.
There an old 3.0 feat from the traps and threachery books.. that increase sneak attack dice by one ( from d6 to d8)
thats an average of 1 damage/2 levels.

Its nearly the same, even without the drawback..

Maybe the feat should be altered so that.. its +1 per sneak attack dice.. instead of per level...

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Egres said:
What I really don't understand is that "per character level".

This means that you could take a single level of Rogue, and then go for a straight Fighter, dealing, at 20th level, +20 damage with each sneak attack.

That's ridicuolous.
Agreed. Consider this one house-ruled to 'per class level in classes with sneak attack' (or possible even to 'per sneak attack die').

rant

OK, so this feat is only _twice_ as good as it should be.

Does WoTC even have a board to review feats before they publish anymore? Is any playtesting done? Or do words go straight from the designers pen to the published book?

It's a little absurd that this got in. I can't believe I bought this book. What a waste of money.

Ken

BoneMan

Explorer
I house ruled Craven to allow +1 damage per Rogue Level, not Character Level.
Any Feats or Class/Prestige class features that stack with Rogue will also stack with Craven.

CapnZapp

Legend
It isn't that broken, well it is, and its not.
There an old 3.0 feat from the traps and threachery books.. that increase sneak attack dice by one ( from d6 to d8)
thats an average of 1 damage/2 levels.

Its nearly the same, even without the drawback..
It's actually quite a lot less broken.

First off it's half the benefit.

Second, it relies on you keep taking levels in classes that grant sneak dice.

A Fighter 19/Rogue 1 multiclass would gain +20 per sneak attack with Craven, while he would upgrade ONE d6 to a d8 with your feat.

Remove ads