Creature size and cover

Rune

Once A Fool
I think RAW makes no differentiation because it doesn't intend to. If you want to house-rule a "small creatures get +1 to stealth", though, that's your call.

Don't the small races (Halfling, Gnome, and now the tiny Pixie) all already have a +2 to Stealth?

CroBob

First Post
Don't the small races (Halfling, Gnome, and now the tiny Pixie) all already have a +2 to Stealth?
Yes. While I'm sure that takes their size into account, it's not specifically a size modifier, and I can see how that might bother some people (sort of (not really)).

Infiniti2000

First Post
(In fact, from what I see, the only difference between Small and Medium is that Small creatures cannot wield certain weapons or have to wield them two-handed. So that's one penalty and no bonuses.)
Also, bull rush: "You can bull rush a target adjacent to you that is smaller than you, the same size category as you, or one category larger than you"

Maybe a little on acrobatics if you use this example as a guideline: "Somersault over a creature of the same size (hard DC)." Thus, a Small creature would indeed have a more difficult time to jump up on the table than a Medium creature.

Grab (similar to bull rush): "You can attempt to grab a creature that is smaller than you, the same size category as you, or one category larger than you."

Small creatures actually gain in mounted combat by allowing more options (a Small creature can ride a Medium one).

The size might also be a factor in vehicle-related combat. This is unlikely, though.

Some powers are restricted by size, too, such as wild shape. A halfling druid can't turn into a lot of the "scarier" animals because they're too big.

Skyscraper

Explorer
The halfling (Pansy) runs up behind a tree and tries to hide.

Sorry, say I, the tree provides only partial cover.

"But I am Small!" says Pansy. "I am only 3' 8"!"

Okay, but then, how large is the tree? I mean, the person's size is not important, it's his size compared to the tree, right? In a game where a human plays with ogres, would humans also be allowed to to hide behind trees in combat because they're smaller than others?

This aside, assuming a tree with a relatively large trunk but still your average tree (much less then a 5-foot diameter), I would not allow it. The opponents see the halfling move behind the tree and can lean on one side and the other to look at the halfling. In game terms, you can draw a line of sight to three and perhaps all four corners of the halfling's square. He can't hope to benefit from superior cover IMO. If the halfling had been hiding out of combat, I'd allow a stealth check (normal cover enough). In combat where people can see him move behind the tree, no.

This being said, I often play with cover bonuses as DM. For one thing, I sometimes vary my cover bonus to defenses between +2 and +5 depending on how I feel the cover acts for a PC. E.g. this is not quite superior cover, but you get +3 or +4. Also, the player's intentions are important. If indeed he tells me that his PC hides with his back against a large rock, and he's a halfling, and the rock is bigger than him (larger than a 5-foot square) and the angle of view from opponents is not good (e.g. they're behind the rock), then I'd most probably allow for superior cover or more, total absence of line of sight. However, if the PC moves behind the rock and says nothing, then he's not attempting to use the terrain to his advantage, he might have less cover.

Zaran

Adventurer
So do you try to remove cover from your encounters all the time or was this just a unique thing. I think if player likes to hide alot in your game I wouldn't go out of your way to stop that from happening. It's trivially easy to get ca these days.

Greeto

First Post
Depends on the size of the tree and if the enemy saw them get there, they aren't hiding if they know exactly which tree theyre hiding behind, if it was before combat, say guards were distracted because they were speaking to each other and didn't see him stealthy moving from tree to tree then Id allow it, but no different than a regular sized person. This is more important when its a low wall, for a medium person id give them half cover, but a short person id give them full cover, unless hes going to peek over the wall, this would be difficult for a short person to do versus a medium person, theyd have to move to one edge or the other of this short wall, and lose sight of the target till they get into that position.

Remove ads