• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D with an audience

GwydapLlew

First Post
I dislike having an audience while I run or play games. It hearkens back to my roots in the Deep South, where people would invariably accuse us of being evil or Satanic - that always puts a damper on things!

Generally, I don't mind gaming in public - at libraries, student unions, parks, or bars - I just don't like having an audience. I find that people worry more about what the audience thinks than what's going on in the game.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Frostmarrow said:
Sometimes when we play D&D we get an audience. It can be a family member, a waiting friend, or simply someone who likes to make a social appearance. Most of the time, however the audience is not really there to watch - they just happen to be in the room.

I have been a spectator when others play RPGs and I have found it both entertaining and boring. It can get entertaining for short whiles but mostly it's a complete drag.

Do any of you have experience with audiences and what are your feelings towards it? Could inviting an audience raise the quality of the game? (i.e. be more focused and immerssive.) Are there steps that can be taken to encourage spectatorship in RPG events? Would anyone like to?

I'd rather people who aren't playing not be at the game. Invariably they distract other players by initiating out of game conversations and other stuff.

Frostmarrow

First Post
Anyone ever had applause during the game? Could RPGs be an event, if set up that way? I.e having star players such as Edward Norton and Angelina Jolie. ;)

IKIASQ

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Frostmarrow said:
Anyone ever had applause during the game? Could RPGs be an event, if set up that way? I.e having star players such as Edward Norton and Angelina Jolie. ;)

Heh :) Dream Park was like that. Imagine LARPing as an international World Cup-level sports event where the players got cuts of the movie and book rights made from their exploits and GM's were like rock stars and Hollywood producers rolled into one.

librarius_arcana

First Post
Frostmarrow said:
Do any of you have experience with audiences and what are your feelings towards it? Could inviting an audience raise the quality of the game? (i.e. be more focused and immerssive.) Are there steps that can be taken to encourage spectatorship in RPG events? Would anyone like to?

Unless the game is fast, it's boring for watchers

the only way to get players to play well to that "immerssive" level is by having one or two other players who can play that well raise the bar/standards, leading by example

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
We sometimes have what I call "media coverage", usually players from other games dropping in to see how this one's doing, or (a) friend(s) stopping by to chat, whatever. Sometimes it's disruptive, other times not...

Lanefan

FunkBGR

Explorer
I draw audiences when I run games, and I absolutely hate it.

I hate it because I couldn't stand to be in their shoes.

Usually what I do then though is to ask the person to join us. I sometimes have a spare NPC sheet or something, or can throw something together quick enough that they can join in on the action, and be apart of it, not a spectator.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads