Dealing with New Players (Revived)

Nugan

First Post
Fiigured I'd bring this one back as well:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you may have guessed from some of my other posts, I'm bothered by the treatment many new players recieve in the ISRP rooms. I believe that this treatment alienates many new players and with them deprives the rooms of new ideas and possibilities.

I don't think most of this is done out of malice for the players*, but more out of not knowing how o treat them or not understanding were they are coming from.

With that in mind, I have a few pointers for dealing with new players**:

1. Go to them, don't make them come to you: If you spot a new player, and its possible to take some time to talk to them IC, you should. Most new players tend to be timid about approaching older more experienced players (perhaps out of fear of being criticized), and at the same time desperate for someone to speak to. The only real remedy for this is for us to go to them first. A short conversation may be all that's needed to get a new player's confidence up enough that they will begin to search out other players to talk to.

2. Be Patient: New players seem to have a reputation as troublemakers. Now, there is some truth to this in that new players tend towards large scale displays of power that more experienced players can find "annoying". Its true that when greatreddragon666*** flies around in the tavern (which he's much too large for) burning tables and coating patrons in ash, but this is probably just his attempt to get attention. If you role-play along with him in such a way that leads him towards something a bit more subdued (say, trying to talk the dragon IC into calming down by asking him what caused drove him to such violence) instead of sending him nasty PMs or "waving the iggy stick", he'll probably be much more cooperative and possibly even become a valuable new player.

3. Involve them: If a new player shows interest in a plot, let them be a part of it. You don't have to make the entire storyline swing upon their whims, but give them some active role. Just let them know, nicely through PMs, what their limits will be and what you would rather they did/didn't do. You'd be surprised how obediant most new players, who are often just looking to be part of the whole ISRP experience, will be if you give them a role to play.

4. Give suggestions in a friendly way: Yes, many new players don't know many of the nuances of the setting or of OOC courtesy. However, you have to be careful about how you handle this. Sending them a PM demanding "Make a description, you have to have a description" or "You know, you can't fly on Juxta or you'll die" will undoubtably make the player more hostile and less likely to heed your advice. However, if you start with ((Hello. :) I haven't seen you here before. Are you new?)) followed by ((I'd be happy to help you learn your way around. Do you know how to make a description?))you'll be much more likely to get a positive response.

Well, that's all for now. I might add more later. I'd also like to see what sugestions other player might have to help new players adjust to the site. :)

* = although I have seen situations that could not have been otherwise

** = I hate the word "newbie" so I'm going to refrain from using it

*** = I hope this isn't a real name. Its not meant to point out any actual player

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This lead to a discussion on creating a "Greeter/Helper" group to assist new players. You can find those comments on the old board's archive.

Andion Isurand

First Post
I have helped a good number of new players establish themselves in the ISRP rooms. Occasionaly, if interested, I have gone as far as giving them (and some regular ISRPers) feedback and ideas for their character descriptions through the use of email.

I must admit, this does require some paitence, but by doing this, I have won myself many friends on the ISRP chat rooms. That is always good.

Newbies are what they are. I have always welcomed them, especially when things are running slow in the ISRP rooms, and I feel like chatting with people using PMs. From where I sit, things are really not that bad.

Don't worry my fellows, I take plenty of turns helping out newbies.

Remove ads