• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Defending weapon property

Infiniti2000

First Post
moritheil said:
For starters, it's a weapons enhancement, and costs twice the cost per increment vs. an armor enhancement, right?
Right, which is what I inferred from your post. So, to make the +1 defending sword cost-effective, you have to leave a +1 bonus on attacks (or possibly on damage) when you move +1 to AC (because the AC bonus should be cheaper).

Is this a correct interpretation of what you mean? If so, I hope my previous post now makes sense. Honestly, I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth or anything. :)

moritheil

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
Right, which is what I inferred from your post. So, to make the +1 defending sword cost-effective, you have to leave a +1 bonus on attacks (or possibly on damage) when you move +1 to AC (because the AC bonus should be cheaper).

Is this a correct interpretation of what you mean? If so, I hope my previous post now makes sense. Honestly, I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth or anything. :)

Oh, now I get it. You want to know if I house-rule defending weapons. I do not.

I'm simply stating that since they're kind of a crappy deal, that biases me in favor of allowing that one tiny +1 atk adjustment from masterwork, which is debatable.

Infiniti2000

First Post
I was more interested in a discussion on it, but perhaps that would be better off in the House Rules forum. In other words, the defending property is arguably too weak as a +1 modifier on weapons, so perhaps it would be better off as a +X gp adjustment instead, or maybe to modify it to only remove the +1 on atttacks or +1 on damage and not both. Like I said, though, this is regardless of the masterwork bonus debate. That only helps us (me, maybe) see this as an issue. :)

Remove ads