D&D 1E Deities and demigods 1st printing

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
So I just got an early unexpected birthday present.

It is a 1st printing of deities and demigods with Elric and hp lovecraft stuff…(correction, 2nd printing)

So my question is “how many were printed?” I am clearly not selling ever and want to prominently display in my game room :)

I was just curious about how many thousand went out before the plug was pulled. My google fu failed me!

Last edited:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast

It is a 1st printing of deities and demigods with Elric and hp lovecraft stuff…

So my question is “how many were printed?” I am clearly not selling ever and want to prominently display in my game room :)

I was just curious about how many thousand went out before the plug was pulled. My google fu failed me!
Good for you! My first printing is very valuable to me.

Warpiglet-7

Good for you! My first printing is very valuable to me.
Yeah—-well a well thought out gift is not something I would sell! My buddy hooked me up! He has one he acquired and remembered my awe…so got me one in turn!

I just wonder how rare it is for the sake of interest. I found one interview that estimated 12-13000 went out. But it was a guess!

I am going to put this in the top shelf of a miniature vase. It will have some minis to either side of it and will have light shining on it :D

I hear Erol otus is going to Gary con and the thought of having him sign this artifact came to mind…

Simon Miles

Creator of the World of Barnaynia FRPG setting
I got mine when it first came out and it was quite a long time before I realised that there were versions out there that DIDN'T have Cthulhu and Melnibonean! Mine's hardly pristine, as all my books were in a fire, burned around the edges and then soaked through. Plus I have lots of pencil additions in mine from a "Mega D&D" campaign we played when we were about 15 when all our characters became immortal and had to survive in the Mansions of the Gods. That was a larf. My point is that the books were on worldwide release (I am in the UK) so factor that into your count/estimates...

WolfByte

Villager

It is a 1st printing of deities and demigods with Elric and hp lovecraft stuff…

The Acaeum indicates there are 10-15,000 copies in circulation of the first and second printings that both contain the later deleted mythos. The true first printing will not have a thank you to Chaosium on the bottom of page 4. Great gift, BTW!

Warpiglet-7

The Acaeum indicates there are 10-15,000 copies in circulation of the first and second printings that both contain the later deleted mythos. The true first printing will not have a thank you to Chaosium on the bottom of page 4. Great gift, BTW!
Whoops…

Well it does have the thank you! Just checked. I don’t love it less

WolfByte

Villager
lol. There's an early print Monster Manual in my collection lovingly colored to "make it even better." Then there's my first copy of the WHFRP rules that has at least 12 index tabs permanently attached to the pages "to make it easier and faster." Always had a reason...definitely did not help resale value, however. :)

I have a 2nd print one with the thank you. I can remember buying it mainly because my group was running in the 'folio' edition of the WoG, and there weren't any deities listed anywhere, so our PCs were worshiping a wide assortment of them out of the book. Not long after I got it though, EGG started detailing the WoG deities in Dragon, so my book didn't see much use, and it's still in pretty good shape (other than my name in it)....

Remove ads