• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Design me a spell . . .

Rassilon

First Post
Okay Guys,

First off, this is intended for a specific character, but I think the situation highlights a small general problem. My character is a two weapon fighter, good old steel, and there is massive roleplaying satifaction and character integrity in playing his attachment to the two particular blades that he uses.

That's right, two particular blades, made of Good Old Steel, no fancy materials here - at level 19. One of the blades he has had since level 1.

I sooooo want an adamantine/cold iron/coloured tinfoil blade, I am not giving up either blade.

So: Design me a spell, that you think is "balanced" with respect to the core rules to permanently change the compostion of a weapon without affecting anything else about the weapon (other than the changes entailed by altering the material the blade is formed from).

The limitations - The spell must be arcane, and 6th level or lower. Let's Go !

Rassilon.

IIRC, there is a 2nd level spell that grants a temporary silver quality to a weapon.

Just ramp up the spell level from there:

2nd: Silver
4th: Cold Iron
6th: Adamantine

If you want permanent.. just like any other weapon enhancement.. however much that costs.

Rassilon

First Post
Nifft said:
Polymorph Any Object?

-- N

Almost, but no banana. The Spell specifies that it does not affect magical items, and that it can not create anything 'valuable' (examples include adamantine and silver), and that it can not replicate special properties such as cold iron.

Rassilon.

Rassilon

First Post
Here is a version that I sent to my DM, who wasn't enthused. I made this cost so much money that I was sure it was a shoe-in. As noted in the description, it's not a 'print' version, but should be clear.

"Memnok’s Marvellous Transmutation:
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz ? (5 ?)
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 8 hours
Range: Touch
Target: 1 weapon, armour, or shield
Duration: Instant

"Changes the type of metal that a weapon, armour, or shield is made of, eg: Steel to Mithril, or Adamantine to Silver."

The spell does as stated as above, preserving any enchantments. The material component is an amount of the material that the weapon, armour, or shield is to be composed, to the value as if the item were originally constructed of that material, plus: 1,000gp of diamond dust per ‘plus’ of any enchantment to be preserved.
Example: Let’s say that Memnok wants to change Tongue (Steel Sabre, +5 enhancement bonus, Holy (+2)) to Alchemical Silver. The cost is 90 gp (the cost of Alchemical Silver One handed Weapon) + 5,000gp of diamond dust for the enhancement bonus + 2,000gp for the Holy property = 7,090 gp to permanently transmute Tongue to Alchemical Silver.
. The spell was created so that Memnok could keep his two awesome Sabres (one the Honour Blade, one given to him by Daniel Sturmracht) yet have them made of materials more appropriate to being level 19.
. The 8 hour time limit is to stop particularly rich adventurers changing their weapons / armour mid adventure to take a tactical advantage.
. The excessive cost for an already enchanted blade just seems appropriate.
. Please note that the cost scales with the material : If MAW wanted to change Tongue to Adamantine the cost would be 3,000 gp (Adamantine Weapon) + 7,000gp = 10K.
. I have the idea that this only transmutes within a classification (ie mineral to mineral).

I know that this is not a ‘print’ spell description, but I hope it is clear. Level 5 seems about right to me."

Rassilon.

Arrellion

Explorer
You might want to consider limiting the spell to:

An item can only be affected by this spell once, all further attempts fail.

Just a thought,

Arrel

Will the items be required to make a save?

Rassilon, with that spell, you might as well say. "Hey, I want to change the metal of my swords. I find a high level, eccentric caster who has figured out how to do this... how much does it cost?"

This lets him do a couple things:
> Plot hook. You find Mastrik the Marvelous, who lives in {far corner of the earth from you} deep inside the {insert appropriate dangerous enviroment such as the Fraggle Rock Forest}. You must adventure to Mastrik, convince him his time is worth the price.. {which happens to be a magical component, the toe-nail of the Fru-Fru bird that lives in {where you came from}...

> Maintain the cost as appropriate for the weapon.

> Futher Adventures, as others learn of what you did and want to pry from you the secrets of the transformation, mistakenly beleiving your party wizard did it himself.. :)

Remove ads