Disney Princesses on ISRP!

Just for fun, and going along with the "new chars for March" proposal....

Some of you may have seen Danielle in ISRP. In the past four months she's dissolved into a vitriolic alcoholic little mess. :p But as I told someone the other day, even if all her underlying problems were solved, she wouldn't become a sweet and kind Disney-princess type of char. And then I thought harder and saw that, hell, you know there's some nice RPG themes built into some of those? Naturally and especially the fairy-tale based ones. On a whim, I'm posting a few samples to spark new char ideas. Others feel free to add, please!

(1) "An Apple a Day Might Kill You"

Someone is out to get you. Maybe you know why, maybe you don't (do you need to find out?). You're in hiding, trying to blend in with the crowd. Except maybe now "accidents" are starting to happen around you. What if a friend picks up that poisoned apple instead of you? Come to think of it, can you really trust all those new little friends you've made?

(2) "The Mulan Ruse, or, Be a Man"

A classic! For some reason, you're pretending to be a man. Maybe some matter of family honor that only a male can fulfill and women are not considered capable of it in your culture. Maybe the mission isn't yet fulfilled, or maybe it has been but you've found you really like the freedom. But around here, there's a lot of women that are openly warriors and such! Maybe you should talk to them to find out how they did it. Then do you drop the disguise or not? What will that do to the nice girl that's fallen in love with you? What will happen if they find out back home? (Caution: you may have to be very blatant to get some ISRPers to look past the screen name!)

(3) "Is That a Spinning Wheel I See Before Me?"

Something bad is going to happen. There's a prophetic curse on you, or maybe your entire family. But you're not going to just sit back and wait for it, no way! Maybe someone can find the loophole in the prophesy. Maybe there's a counter to it. Maybe you can get people to help you find the one that set the curse and eliminate them. But would the curse still go off anyway?

(4) "Four Legs Good, Two Legs Better, Tail Fins Are Waaaaay Too Retro"

Someone has promised you your wildest dream. How wonderful! Except there's a condition you need to fulfill and a handicap to keep you from fulfilling it. Maybe it's all fairly benign: to prove how nice you are, you need to get 100 strangers to buy you a drink, but you can't openly ask them for one or even hint at it. Maybe it's much darker: you need to get a vial of blood from a vampire or the tail of a werewolf or the horn of a demon, and it can't be freely given, or maybe you need all three and they MUST be freely given. Oh, and didn't the person making the promise to you also mention something about a time limit?

As I said, just for fun. :)

Maybe we need some ideas for the male side too? Aladdin or Simba, definitely themes to mine there!

Bhryn

First Post
Haha, I actually already HAVE a character with the third option on her and even I'm at a loss as to how to break it XD

Midna

First Post
Four Legs Good, Two Legs Better, Tail Fins Are Waaaaay Too Retro. Funny title all I can say is got me to snicker *snickers*

Midna: thanks! :)

Bhryn: If the "find-the-loophole" doesn't work, and you can't threaten or bluff the caster into removing it, one classic fairytale solution to prophetic curses is to slide them off onto someone else. Fool the curse somehow into thinking they're you, or have them buy up "whatever you're due to inherit" or similar. See "Last Call' by Tim Powers. (If you haven't seen it, read it! great book!)

Bhryn

First Post
Danielle du Pris said:
Midna: thanks! :)

Bhryn: If the "find-the-loophole" doesn't work, and you can't threaten or bluff the caster into removing it, one classic fairytale solution to prophetic curses is to slide them off onto someone else. Fool the curse somehow into thinking they're you, or have them buy up "whatever you're due to inherit" or similar. See "Last Call' by Tim Powers. (If you haven't seen it, read it! great book!)

Fair enough, but's an inherited family curse XD rather than 'prick your finger on a spindle' and those who -can- remove it aren't available to her right now! lol

Bhryn said:
Fair enough, but's an inherited family curse XD rather than 'prick your finger on a spindle' and those who -can- remove it aren't available to her right now! lol
Inherited! Now that's a different kettle of fish'n'chips. Does it get inherited by everyone in the family line? or only the eldest? If it's everyone, and it's through the bloodline, then you're probably stuck unless you get (a) thrown out of your family and (b) a complete blood transfusion. If it's only the eldest and tag-you're-it, then you could try developing a sudden intense friendship with that slightly older person, so intense that you really want to cement it with a formal blood-brothership ceremony. Otherwise, try the going-to-sleep or glass-coffin-stasis for a hundred years and seeing if those that can fix the spell are around when someone wakes you up? Though you might have to move your character to TMP after that. :)

Bhryn

First Post
Danielle du Pris said:
Inherited! Now that's a different kettle of fish'n'chips. Does it get inherited by everyone in the family line? or only the eldest? If it's everyone, and it's through the bloodline, then you're probably stuck unless you get (a) thrown out of your family and (b) a complete blood transfusion. If it's only the eldest and tag-you're-it, then you could try developing a sudden intense friendship with that slightly older person, so intense that you really want to cement it with a formal blood-brothership ceremony. Otherwise, try the going-to-sleep or glass-coffin-stasis for a hundred years and seeing if those that can fix the spell are around when someone wakes you up? Though you might have to move your character to TMP after that. :)

*laughs*

It is the eldest 'inherits' it, and as the only actual member of her family in this place (as well as the only child) she's stuck with it! Hmmm... I wonder how old that bard is...

*evil grin*

Babylon Logos

First Post
Danielle du Pris said:
(2) "The Mulan Ruse, or, Be a Man"

A classic! For some reason, you're pretending to be a man. Maybe some matter of family honor that only a male can fulfill and women are not considered capable of it in your culture. Maybe the mission isn't yet fulfilled, or maybe it has been but you've found you really like the freedom. But around here, there's a lot of women that are openly warriors and such! Maybe you should talk to them to find out how they did it. Then do you drop the disguise or not? What will that do to the nice girl that's fallen in love with you? What will happen if they find out back home? (Caution: you may have to be very blatant to get some ISRPers to look past the screen name!)

Mmm, Shakespere did that the best in my opinion. 'The Twelfth Night, or What you Will' was quite hilarious.

Babylon Logos said:
Mmm, Shakespere did that the best in my opinion. 'The Twelfth Night, or What you Will' was quite hilarious.
Oh definitely! And with boy actors having to play women, Shakespeare did the bait-and-switch a bunch of times. Not only "Twelfth Night" but "As You Like It", "Cymbeline" and even "Merchant of Venice" counts, lol!

To continue on the Disney theme, here's a couple more. :)

(5) "A Face Only a Mother (And You?) Could Love"

Your father owes this guy a debt and the money just isn't there. So rather than have your father go into indentured servitude till the debt's worked off, you've volunteered. The fellow doesn't make many demands on you, but boy is he grumpy, and arrogant, and rude, and ugly as sin. A real beast! Everyone who notices is bound to be sympathetic! Maybe some nice prince of a guy will try to buy off the debt. Though, of course, then your beast will be left all alone... but that doesn't matter to you! (Or does it?)

(6) "Verre, Vair, If the Shoe Fits It's Still Probably the Wrong Color"

You are the myserious beauty who only appears at certain times of the day, and always, always rushes off at midnight (your time zone may vary) even if in the midst of a conversation. You never give your name but you do manage to drop a hint now and then of who you really are. Can they discover? Surely no one will suspect that quiet somewhat dowdy girl that comes into the tavern to run errands for her stepmother!

Remove ads