D&D 5E DM gave me a helm of teleportation, am I a jerk for using it?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
How experienced is your DM? If it was the DM who put it in the adventure then they either expected it to be used or they under estimated its usefulness.
If you and the DM discuss and agree to nerf it in some manner then thats fine too

Reef

Hero
Just ask. Talk to the DM (and maybe the group) outside of the game and just say “Look, is my using the helm all the time becoming an issue?”

So I am playing in a game and picked up a helm of teleportation as loot. The DM wrote the adventure, so it is not like some other author put it there.

I have used it to bypass a lot of parts. For example we were standing on top of a besieged tower and looking at the commander from the other Army about a mile away on the hill near his command tent and our General wanted to send a strike team to take out the commander. And he was showing us this from the top of the wall - "sneak over into their camp and take out that General" ...."that General right there?" .... "yeah that one" .... so I teleport the party right then and there from the wall to the command tent (which I can see), dispatch the General and teleport us all back to the wall.

Right now we are plodding through a dungeon (lair for an Army of Orcs led by a shadow dragon) and we are running low on spells. A few of us have commented that we might need a long rest as we know we have a fight with a Shadow Dragon coming up at some point. It is clear the dungeon is not designed to allow for a long rest. Would it be wrong of me to teleport us to the keep (hundreds of miles away but I have an item from there so I can do it without error), grab a long rest and then teleport us back?
What level is the party?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
ok, so yeah a DM of that caliber I would suspect knows every trick in teh book. If they feel you are "abusing it" they will fix it either out of game or in game. So I say go to work with it, get as creative as you can.
Yeah, if he gives it out, he can deal with it. I don't give it out because I want the wizard player making tough choices for his 7th level spell slot, of which he only gets 1 per day before 20th level.

Remove ads