D&D General DMs Guild and DriveThruRPG ban AI written works, requires labels for AI generated art

Clint_L

Hero
Can someone explain how this is incomprehensible or even detectable as AI? Keep in mind this is only the first prompt.

AI Prompt:
I'm writing a D&D module that contains a temple full of undead skeletons. Can you give me a description of the temple room from the players perspective. Make the description sound mysterious and haunting.

Response:
As you push open the heavy stone doors, a cold gust of wind brushes against your skin, sending a shiver down your spine. The eerie atmosphere within the temple immediately engulfs you, and you find yourself standing in a vast, dimly lit chamber. The flickering torches along the walls cast dancing shadows that seem to mock the very notion of light.

The room stretches out before you like an endless abyss, the ceiling obscured by a thick fog that looms ominously overhead. As you cautiously step forward, the sound of your footsteps echoes throughout the chamber, magnifying the unsettling silence that permeates the air. The air carries a musty scent, as if the passage of time itself has been trapped within these walls for centuries.

In the distance, you catch glimpses of elaborate stone carvings, depicting scenes of long-forgotten rituals and ancient deities, their meanings obscured by the ravages of time. Some figures appear almost lifelike, their stone eyes seeming to follow your every move, while others appear distorted and grotesque, a haunting mockery of humanity.

The walls of the temple room are adorned with faded tapestries, now tattered and frayed, that once boasted vibrant hues and heroic tales of valor. But now, they only serve as a reminder of the fading glory and the inevitable decay that awaits all things. Strange symbols and runes etched into the walls glow with a faint, ethereal light, almost as if they hold a secret power waiting to be unleashed.

As you proceed, your gaze is drawn to the center of the chamber, where a massive, ancient sarcophagus lies dormant. Its lid, adorned with intricate engravings, appears to have been undisturbed for centuries, but an unsettling sensation tugs at your senses, as if it houses something far more sinister than mere bones.

The silence is broken occasionally by the distant rattling of bones and eerie whispers that seem to emerge from the very walls themselves. You can't help but feel as though unseen eyes are upon you, watching your every move from the dark corners of the temple.

A chill runs down your spine, and you can't shake the feeling that you are not alone in this foreboding place. The air is heavy with an aura of malevolence and the restless souls that once inhabited this temple. The ethereal presence of the undead skeletons, hidden in the shadows, awaits your approach with an unsettling anticipation.

You are now faced with a choice: to delve deeper into this mysterious temple, or to retreat and escape the haunting clutches of its undead inhabitants. But tread carefully, for this ancient place holds secrets that may challenge your sanity and prove that the boundary between the living and the dead is not as clear as it seems.
I could spot this as AI instantly. I teach Grade 11 and Grade 12 Language & Literature, Creative Writing, and Theory of Knowledge. This year I got LOTS of practice spotting AI. But I've also played around with it enough to have a pretty good feel for how it reads.

Mind you, if you wanted to try to hide it, there are ways. But in general, AI compositions are very uniform in structure, have perfect or near perfect grammar and syntax, and are extremely predictable. They present a solid but shallow analysis, and there are never the surprising insights, misreadings, or extrapolations that students make. They are well-written vanilla. A line such as
But tread carefully, for this ancient place holds secrets that may challenge your sanity and prove that the boundary between the living and the dead is not as clear as it seems.
is an instant giveaway.

Also, students generally only use the AI in spots, and then it is even more obvious when the tone, diction, and competency completely change.

However. As I mentioned, there are ways to disguise it, by getting the AI to iterate on new suggestions, directly adding in your own ideas for it to incorporate, and adjusting the product so that it fits into your own voice. But if you can do this well enough so that it no longer reads as AI, then you've probably shown enough mastery of the assignment that you deserve your grade.

Wait, why do we care about AI written RPG material on the DM's Guild/Drivethru??
(at least) Half of the DMs here swear by never allowing third party products and/or don't even bother reading the DMG!
And it feels like most players don't even bother to look at the PHB!?!

---

AI is right to "assemble premade pieces" but they aren't ready to find the right balance between coherence and originality. AI can't writte a comedy because it can't understand what is funny and how is the sense of humor. And either to write a good horror story. They can't be good writters because they can't understand the true human psichology.

The CGI hasn't replaced the comics by tradional illustrators. And the AI isn't being used to replace the CGI comics. The AI can't start from zero the design of clothing or buildings.

Clint_L

Hero
AI is right to "assemble premade pieces" but they aren't ready to find the right balance between coherence and originality. AI can't writte a comedy because it can't understand what is funny and how is the sense of humor. And either to write a good horror story. They can't be good writters because they can't understand the true human psichology.
This is demonstrably untrue. Here is a task I gave Chat when it first became public and I was testing it:

write a memorandum for the office on not drinking my milk from the office fridge

Memorandum

To: Office Staff

I am writing to remind all staff members that the office fridge is for communal use and should be treated with respect. Specifically, I would like to bring attention to the fact that several individuals have been seen taking and consuming milk from the office fridge without replacing it.

Please be mindful of your actions and refrain from consuming communal items without replacing them. If you do consume something, please ensure that it is replaced or restocked as soon as possible.

We all have a responsibility to maintain a clean and organized office environment, and this includes being conscientious about our use of the office fridge.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

Sincerely,[Your Name]

can you make it more passive aggressive and add sarcasm

Memorandum

To: Office StaffFrom: [Your Name]Subject: Office Fridge Usage (or lack thereof)

Greetings esteemed colleagues,

I would like to take a moment to address the elephant in the room, or should I say, the missing milk in the office fridge. It appears that some individuals have been under the impression that the office fridge is their personal dairy cow, and have been helping themselves to the milk without a second thought about replacing it for the rest of the office to enjoy.

I mean, who needs milk anyways, right? It's not like it's an essential part of a balanced breakfast or anything. I'm sure we can all survive on dry cereal and black coffee.

But, in all seriousness, can we please show some common courtesy and respect for our communal spaces and items? If you do decide to indulge in the office's milk supply, please make sure to replace it as soon as possible.

Let's all work together to maintain a clean and organized office environment, and not just for the sake of the milk, but for the overall well-being of the office.

Sincerely,[Your Name] (who is now officially lactose intolerant)

I mean...that second version is really well written, with an appropriate balance of sarcasm and seriousness, and a great double-entendre as the punchline. It's not going to win any awards, but for the job I asked it to do? Great! And funny!

That's the troubling thing about generative AI: it turns out that a lot of tasks we thought required an understanding of "true human psychology" or some other uniquely human trait can be executed very competently by a machine.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That is not how AI art works. The fact that you don't know this rather undermines everything else you're saying.

It's not determinative in that way.

EDIT: TheSword is blocking me here because I'm pointing out that his arguments are nonsensical and come from a place of real ignorance about the field, and I have to say, I think that's extremely bad form, and his arguments should be disregarded and not engaged with by others on that basis.
If somebody has chosen to block you, do NOT circumvent the privacy tools to quote them or respond to them. That is called cyberstalking.

Remove ads