• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Download a Thread (New Community Supporter Feature)

Michael Morris

First Post
Some of the best threads are, well, long. Haven't you ever wished you could store them locally to look at later, maybe even search through them using your word processor's search feature? Well, now you can.

If you're a community supporter you can go to a thread, then click on "thread tools" Beneath "email this thread" you'll see "Download this thread"

By clicking the link vbulletin sends the entire thread as a text file. I said the ENTIRE thread, so do be careful about non-chalantly downloading 20 page threads or, if you're on dialup, you could be waiting awhile for it to complete.

JoeBlank

Explorer
Nice feature. I hate reading a long story hour and then realizing my "recently visited" time has reset, so I can't tell what is new. Now I can download story hours and read them whenever I like. Thanks.

Gez

First Post
Nice. Would it be possible to download it as HTML, though? Maybe in the Stealth styleset if it takes less server time, but losing the formatting (bolds, italics, spoilerized, etc.) makes the feature less attractive than it sounds...

BSF

Explorer
I saw the notice in the forum header and I knew there would be a meta topic about it! :) Cool feature, but I do worry about the server load when everyone does a DL of Piratecat's Story Hour. I'm sure you guys have it under control though.

Michael Morris

First Post
Gez said:
Nice. Would it be possible to download it as HTML, though? Maybe in the Stealth styleset if it takes less server time, but losing the formatting (bolds, italics, spoilerized, etc.) makes the feature less attractive than it sounds...

I'm sure it's possible to do HTML, but the hack was written by a fellow that goes by the screen name Logician over on vbulletin.org. One of the reasons it's text only is that some word processors choke on HTML, so txt was chosen as the most portable format.

Besides, with some of the longer threads weighing in at a couple of MB, I wouldn't want to see them being downloaded in HTML.

Remove ads