Dragon Age 4 (Dreadwolf) now in alpha

I'm aware that it became that. However, with DA2, they had initially planned to have Hawke as the Inquisitor, prior to DA2's poor reception. You can find Gaider's summary of what would have happened, as well as concept art of all the NPCs (including Anders and Red Templars) online. It was to be called "The Exalted March."

Reference:
Other data, including concept art, can be found via an internet search.

EDIT: Just want to say that officially it wasn't canned due to reception of DA2, but due to the switch to Frostbite. However, I take that with a grain of salt, as DA2 got a lot of flack when it was released, which is a shame, as I really enjoyed it.
Good thing they didn't though. As well as resetting the character levels, Having a new protagonist for each episode removes some of the plot armour of invulnerability. My Dragon Age Origins protagonist died at the end, so I'm glad they where not resurrected for the sequel.

And of course the best way to make sure your game is not poorly received is to make it not suck!

Dausuul

Legend
The Fade never bothered me as much as it did my friends. Between them, what I've read online, and how popular the fade skip mod is I might be the only person who feels this way. The only time I really hated it was when I had a Ranger and couldn't summon my pet. It makes sense but man was that annoying. That experience taught me the importance of grenades.
You are not the only person who liked the Fade scenes.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Oh man. Dragon Age is one of my favorite set of games, even though each of them had some serious flaws.

DA:O I played the hell out of, and completed it several times in different ways.

DA2 I played like crazy. It was the weakest in some ways, but also: Varric. I loved that smart-mouthed dwarf. I not only played through several times, just a few months ago I reloaded it to play it some more.

DA:I I was super excited for, but it dragged. My completionist brain kept me in the first area far too long and the whole game got grindy. I finished it once, and started a second play-thru but there was just too much grind for some things and I abandoned it. The companions were the best part, but didn't live up to DA2, and even DA:I Varric didn't live up to DA2 Varric.

Will I get this? Pretty much guaranteed. I hope that it's good, but unless it really gets panned I will pick it up and give it a try because of how much I liked the others.

Of course, I have been through this exact same process with them in terms of Mass Effect: Andromeda, which I found less disappointing than others claimed, but still not as good as the originals.

I'm hoping I don't dread DA: D and instead wolf it down. :p

MarkB

Legend
DA:I I was super excited for, but it dragged. My completionist brain kept me in the first area far too long and the whole game got grindy. I finished it once, and started a second play-thru but there was just too much grind for some things and I abandoned it. The companions were the best part, but didn't live up to DA2, and even DA:I Varric didn't live up to DA2 Varric.
I've started Inquisition about three or four times, but I never got much past the first open area. It's one of those where I keep thinking "if I can just get through this part, maybe it'll start to be enjoyable." I don't get the impression that I was missing too much.

Blue

I've started Inquisition about three or four times, but I never got much past the first open area. It's one of those where I keep thinking "if I can just get through this part, maybe it'll start to be enjoyable." I don't get the impression that I was missing too much.
What I learned is that the starting area is incredibly dense with things to do and quests - and the others are at a more reasonable amount. So do the first area a bit, go for specifics like horses, and then leave it and try other places.

It's really uneven, but there's a lot in later parts.

MarkB

Legend
What I learned is that the starting area is incredibly dense with things to do and quests - and the others are at a more reasonable amount. So do the first area a bit, go for specifics like horses, and then leave it and try other places.

It's really uneven, but there's a lot in later parts.
I may try it again at some point. Last time I loaded it up, it had multiple technical issues on my PC. If it ever gets added to PS Plus, I may check it out there.

I greatly enjoyed DA3, especially the war table mechanic. I skipped DA2, because it was clearly inferior to DA1 in almost every way.

Dragon battles were awesome in DA3. I hope they bring back spell combos like Storm of the Century though.

Blue

I greatly enjoyed DA3, especially the war table mechanic. I skipped DA2, because it was clearly inferior to DA1 in almost every way.
DA2 was inferior to DA:O in many ways. Oversimplified with a narrow scope. Except: Varric. Literally that one companion made it one of my favorites. To the sadness of playing a rogue or wanting Isabella in my party.

He singlehandedly saved the game for me. If you can find it at deep discount it's worth a playthrough. Just plan around always having a ranged rogue in your party.

pukunui

Legend
Solas is the Dreadwolf, and is the antagonist this game revolves around.
Yeah, and for people on the fence about DA:I, it does a really good job of setting up Solas so that while he might end up being the antagonist of this sequel, you can sympathise with his goals. He may be the antagonist, but whether or not he's a villain depends on your point of view, which is a credit to the DA storytellers.

Remove ads