OSR Dragonslayer RPG truly delivers.

"Slightly different" is of course subjective, but on further passthroughs I think you'll find lots of hidden tweaks that really make it "more different" than the other clones out there right now.

For me, that visceral flavor comes from the art:
View attachment 348972

But what exactly were you hoping for? Maybe I can recommend a better game for you? :)
I'm not looking for anything in particular other then to see cool things I haven't seen already. I'm pretty well-versed in games and have different games to fit different moods. RIght now, my preferred OSR games are in the Into the Odd family, specifically Mythic Bastionland. I'm not so much interested in tweaks as compared to bold new designs.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
They put in the work for their doctorates...

As someone with a Ph.D. who has worked in academia for a couple decades in the US, it feels like a Ph.D. holder's Dr. is generally only used:
  • In the context of their research area or their employment. And even then, where I'm at, we don't use it with colleagues unless its something like a salutation in a formal communication where Mr./Mrs./Ms./Miss/Mx. would be used for others, using it when introducing someone who is, or if undergraduates are around - and it's often Prof./Director/Dean/whatever in those cases anyway.
  • Whenever Mr./Mrs./Ms./Miss/Mx. would be used in an introduction out in public or in a letter or the like. Although I wouldn't correct someone unless they were trying to be an expletive.
While it might appear in the "about the author" on the inside of the dust-jacket or back-cover of a book in my subject area if I wrote one, I wouldn't use it anywhere in a book about my hobby. And if everyone else is being introduced by just <first name> or <first name last name> it would feel really strange to have it used.

It feels like medical doctors (MD/OD) use theirs more. But it also feels like that's what you get if you are the kind who should be answering the call when someone asks "Is there a Doctor on the plane?!?" (Although I wonder if it's risky to exclude an NP when calling out for help. What's the general term for medically trained and competent person? Would everyone qualified answer if a shout went out for a Medic?)

Finally, I note that most lawyers are JDs, pharmacists are PharmDs, physical therapists are DPTs, etc... Do they typically use their D?

Last edited:

Jahydin

Hero
@Cadence
Agreed. And just wanted to reiterate that Greg didn't put his title in Dragonslayer. I used it because where I work (engineer) it's pretty normal to use the title unless that person says otherwise (which they almost always do).

Jahydin

Hero
I'm not looking for anything in particular other then to see cool things I haven't seen already. I'm pretty well-versed in games and have different games to fit different moods. RIght now, my preferred OSR games are in the Into the Odd family, specifically Mythic Bastionland. I'm not so much interested in tweaks as compared to bold new designs.
Oh cool! I don't think I've read Bastionland yet, but really enjoyed Into the Odd, so will give it a look through at some point.

Have you checked out Hackmaster 5E? Talk about buckets and buckets of genius mechanics...

Oh cool! I don't think I've read Bastionland yet, but really enjoyed Into the Odd, so will give it a look through at some point.

Have you checked out Hackmaster 5E? Talk about buckets and buckets of genius mechanics...
Hackmaster is interesting! I haven't read through it in a while, however. I very much enjoy picking mechanics from other games and mixing-and-matching them to see what happens, to fuel my own design, so this encourages me to review the game again.

Highly suggest Mythic Bastionland specifically! Electric Bastionland is cool, but the Mythic version's combat and exploration mechanics truly sing to me.

Remove ads