• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Druid domains

Beholder Bob

First Post
Culled from the SRD located at http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#houseRuleDruidDomains

House Rule: Druid Domains
With this option, each druid may choose a single domain from the following list: Air, Animal, Earth, Fire, Plant, Sun, and Water. The druid gains a bonus spell of each spell level, which may be used only to prepare a domain spell of that level (or of a lower level, if affected by a metamagic feat). The druid also gains the domain's granted power, except as noted below.

Druids who select the Animal domain or the Plant domain gain Skill Focus (Knowledge [nature)), since Knowledge (nature) is already a class skill for druids.

A druid who chooses the Sun domain gains the ability to turn undead 1/day as a cleric of her level, and cannot perform a greater turning.

Now, I like this - but how fair is it? Should I give something up - if so, what? Nature sense, and Trackless Step? Drop a HD? Any suggestions/feedback?

B:]B

mirivor

First Post
Give up nothing. Presuming that you as a DM keep the whole Wildshape crap in line, as I feel it should be, there is absolutely nothing wrong with giving Druids a domain. I personally only allow Plant, Animal, or Weather.

Mithran

First Post
That would give the druid one bonus spell per day per spell level, plus the domain ability and that isn't even taking into account whether the spells the druid would gain might be better than normal.

I'm not sure precisely what you'd need to drop but I am quite sure something would need to go to make this balanced.

dvvega

Explorer
IMC Druids gain a domain every 5 levels from a limited list (elemental, plant, animal, sun, ...). First one available at 5th level. They only gain 1 bonus spell total, but have multiple domains to select from.

The game reasons are due to storyline in my world.

In balancing this kind of thing, I really didn't feel the need. Why? Because a Druid is limited in armour and weapons in general, and the wildshape is their main combat ability. To be able to use the Domains (or spells in general) they must spend a feat.

The Domain ability for most of the elemental ones grant them a few turn attempts against certain creature types. Not a big deal to be honest since the utility comes up under DM control.

The following are the domains and why it isn't overpowered:

Air/Earth/Fire/Water - turn/destroy Earth/Air/Water/Fire creatures 3+CHA per day
This ability may be powerful on the outside but if there are not many of those creatures it does not matter.

Animal - speak with animals 1/day, Knowledge (nature) class skill
Not a fantastic ability (I don't give them extras for already having Knowledge (nature))

Knowledge - all knowledge skills class skills, +1 level divination
Druids can divine things from nature, etc. It isn't a big deal (well hasn't been a problem)

Plant - rebuke/command plants 3+CHA per day
See elemental thing above. This could be powerful in the right location (Treants, Shambling Mounds) but I've not see it happen.

Sun - greater turning
Since a Druid cannot turn, they can't use a greater turning. So this ability is pretty useless.

Travel - Survival class skill, Freedom of Movement 1 round / cleric level
Not a bad ability. Of course cleric level is replaced by Druid level. This could be the best Domain for a Druid as a freebie, however it isn't going to unbalance anything.

As you can see there is nothing there that can really mess with a campaign.

Now looking over the spells for these, it isn't a problem either. Most of them, the druid has access to normally.

There are a couple of powerful spells on the lists around the 7th/8th level mark they don't normally get, however most of them are inherently anti-Druid (Horrid Wilting) so I interchange those with other Druidic spells.

I've not looked at other domains but obviously things like Moon, Sky, Weather etc would be viable.

D

Remove ads