• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Dual Wielder Feat question

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
If they have the Dual Wielder feat, I think that's within the RAW. The feat never explicitly states that you can't draw one and stow a second or vice-versa. Technically, RAI is unclear, but I don't think that it's really that important here.

Personally, if I were a DM then I would rule that a Bladesinger could use any one-handed bladed weapon as an arcane focus, especially when bladesong is active. It's kind of the point of the subclass. It's also important to remember that focuses and spell component pouches are a flavor rule, not an intentional mechanical restriction. They exist to allow a spellcaster to be partially disarmed and to evoke narrative imagery, not to be cumbersome action economy puzzles in combat. And if the designers did intend them to be cumbersome action economy puzzles, then they're bad designers and they should feel bad.
I definitely don’t think they were intended to be cumbersome action economy puzzles. But I do think they were intended to be more than just flavor. As you observe, they allow casters to be disarmed. They also limit the caster’s number of free hands. Casters aren’t meant to be able to freely cast while dual-wielding or while using a two-handed weapon. Clerics and Paladins are meant to be able to cast freely while wielding a sword and shield, while other casters are not (hence the “emblem” holy symbol option). Bladesingers can’t use their sword as a spellcasting focus not to complicate the action economy, but to prevent them from casting freely while dial wielding or while using a sword and shield. There are common magic items that can allow bladesingers to do this, but hey require attunement.

All that said, a big part of the point of the dual-wielder feat is to get around these sorts of restrictions when dual-wielding, so I would absolutely allow it.

So allow Bladesingers to have Swords Bards Sword focus ability? It does make sense that a Bladesinger would have this. Thinking about it why do they not have this? It seems every “Sword and Spell” full caster seems to have this.
Probably just didn't occur to them. Historically bladesingers have had to have one hand free for spellcasting. The TWF bladesinger is new.

meverz

Explorer
oofta said it better than I could - so I'm just gonna quote them again for emphasis
Personally I don't get too concerned with things like spell foci. Use a component pouch instead if you want. I'd rather keep the game and the fiction moving - if that means the caster uses a sword instead of a staff as their focus for flavor so be it.

Otherwise you just get silliness like people tying a string to their sword/staff so they can "drop" them without worrying about loosing it and other stupid stuff. Keep the visuals evocative and don't get caught in RAW.

Charlaquin

So allow Bladesingers to have Swords Bards Sword focus ability? It does make sense that a Bladesinger would have this. Thinking about it why do they not have this? It seems every “Sword and Spell” full caster seems to have this.
I think primarily to preserve the traditional image of the bladesinger as a character who uses a sword in one hand and casts spells with the other. If they could use the sword as a focus, it would allow them to use a shield or dual-wield without sacrificing any casting effectiveness. There are ways around this limitation though - war caster, ruby of the war mage, etc. I think dual wielder should definitely be counted among these.

Personally I don't get too concerned with things like spell foci. Use a component pouch instead if you want. I'd rather keep the game and the fiction moving - if that means the caster uses a sword instead of a staff as their focus for flavor so be it.

Otherwise you just get silliness like people tying a string to their sword/staff so they can "drop" them without worrying about loosing it and other stupid stuff. Keep the visuals evocative and don't get caught in RAW.
RAW is a plague.

Dogo

Power of The Pup
I think primarily to preserve the traditional image of the bladesinger as a character who uses a sword in one hand and casts spells with the other. If they could use the sword as a focus, it would allow them to use a shield or dual-wield without sacrificing any casting effectiveness. There are ways around this limitation though - war caster, ruby of the war mage, etc. I think dual wielder should definitely be counted among these.
Shields can’t be used by them. Light Armor only. The image of a Bladesinger I always saw as elf with tattoo of snake or lion wielding a whip or longsword and possibly a second weapon. I was wondering if it was a common house rule or not to get Bladesingers that ability.

Charlaquin

Shields can’t be used by them. Light Armor only. The image of a Bladesinger I always saw as elf with tattoo of snake or lion wielding a whip or longsword and possibly a second weapon. I was wondering if it was a common house rule or not to get Bladesingers that ability.
Anyone can use a shield if they’re committed enough - take a level of fighter, take the moderately armored feat, whatever you like.

There are certainly DMs who house rule that bladesingers can use their weapon as an arcane focus. If you’re a player, ask your DM. If you’re a DM looking for advice as to whether or not to allow it, I would personally say no. They’re strong enough without it, and I like the idea that to cast freely while dual wielding would require some degree of character building investment.

Dogo

Power of The Pup
RAW is a plague.
How is Rules as Written a plague? I believe that RAF (Rules as Fun) would not work without RAW. The problem is that you can’t play a game if you don’t understand the rules as written or rules as intended you get these weird imbalances in the game. I understand modifying a rule to better fit the table since I do that with rules are table agrees that have an issue. In RAW sometimes there are rules that make no sense. Help action for example.
Anyone can use a shield if they’re committed enough - take a level of fighter, take the moderately armored feat, whatever you like.

There are certainly DMs who house rule that bladesingers can use their weapon as an arcane focus. If you’re a player, ask your DM. If you’re a DM looking for advice as to whether or not to allow it, I would personally say no. They’re strong enough without it, and I like the idea that to cast freely while dual wielding would require some degree of character building investment.
Bladesong says that it stops working if you use medium or heavy armor and/or a shield. It’s so the AC balances out around 25 if you had +3 armor or shield.

Bladesinger = Studded +3, INT+5, DEX+5
15+5+5=25

Fighter 15 STR Plate +3, Shield +3
21+5=26

Now this isn’t calculating Feats or Fighting Styles, but it’s like this so it caps out at a certain limit, but you can get way higher then this if you wanted to.

Bladesong Description
You can use a bonus action to start the Bladesong, which lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are incapacitated, if you don medium or heavy armor or a shield, or if you use two hands to make an attack with a weapon. You can also dismiss the Bladesong at any time you choose (no action required).

While your Bladesong is active, you gain the following benefits:

• You gain a bonus to your AC equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1).

• Your walking speed increases by 10 feet.

• You have advantage on Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks.

• You gain a bonus to any Constitution saving throw you make to maintain your concentration on a spell. The bonus equals your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1).

You can use this feature twice. You regain all expended uses of it when you finish a short or long rest.

No Greatsword usage or armor other then Light.

EDIT: In Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything it changed it where the Bladesong usage is proficiency bonus per long rest, at least according to rumor.

Last edited:

Remove ads