• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Eberron] Lords of the Dust Minions

sfedi

First Post
In the ECS it's mentioned that the LotD are Raksashas (sp?), and "other devils".
But, AFAIK, it never mentions which are.

What creatures are or should be in allegiance with the LotD?

Aberrations? Goblinoids? Devils?

Henry

Autoexreginated
Mostly Outsiders, specifically demons, devils, and yugoloths(daemons). Eberron doesn't really make a distinction between Demons and Devils in the same way that Planescape does (no blood wars, no planes of lawful evil vs. chaotic evil), etc.

Based on what I've read in some of the Eberron books and Dragon Magazine, the Rakshasas seem to pal around with Demons moreso than Devils - mentions of Mariliths, Nalfeshnees, etc. moreso than Pit Fiends and Cornugons, etc.

Aberrations more likely serve the Plane of Xoriat and the Daelkyr than the Demons. Goblinoids are just as likely to fight the Demons as the other races of Khorvaire -- the Daakhani people are a former civilization, and have much in common with the humans of the world, they're just more warlike and more tending towards evil.

Solarious

Explorer
I have Korlic of the Grey Flame statted up somewhere. I'll let him loose once I get home - he's on the Council of Ashtakala, I think.

EDIT: The Lords of Dust are a collection of fiends spawned by Khyber - mostly Rakshasas - and other outsiders who have, for one reason or another, have been banished from their own planes, and take up residence in Eberron/Khyber. These exlies serve the interests of the Lords of Dust in hopes that when the Rajah Overlords return (and keep in mind that the Age of Demons lasted over 3 times as much than the rest of history combined), they'll be granted enough power to acomplish whatever they wanted. Mind you, the Outsiders of Eberron are exactly that: Outsiders, and their motivations are rarely completely understandable in comparison to the mortals of the material plane. For example, take Thelestes, the succubus assasin. She is literally an embodiment of murder: it is her purpose, her being, the very reason she exists at all, premediated killing incarnate. They are immortal and alien, with a different sense of time and purpose than living beings. Rakshasas are much the same: none of them are in any great rush to free their masters, and play intricate 'games' to pass the time.

At their highest councils, the Lords of Dust are Epic threats, and have few peers in terms of sheer potency. One such example I've made is Korliac, the Grey Flame. He's from the same Dungeon issue that Thelestes was featured (Dragon #327), and I've deliberately taken his powers a bit beyond that of what was strictly presented. I didn't include any Epic feats, but he doesn't exactly need them. So, without further adiou, we have in this corner, exiled from Fernia for seeking forbidden knowledge, master of mayhem, a well of madness and damnnation...

Solarious said:
Korliac, of the Grey Flame

Male advanced Pit Fiend; Large Outsider (Evil, Extraplanar, Lawful)
Hit Dice: 32d8 + 384 (528 hp)
Initiative: +16
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), fly 60 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 40 (-1 size, +8 Dex, +23 natural), touch 17, flat-footed 32
Base Attack/Grapple: +32/+54
Attack: +55 melee (2d6+23 +5 large flaming burst souldrinking longsword)
Full Attack: +5 large flaming burst souldrinking longsword +55/50/45/40 (2d6+23/17-20 plus confusion) and claw +50 melee (2d8+18 plus 5 fire) and 2 wings +50 melee (2d6+9 plus 5 fire) and bite +50 melee (4d6+9 plus poison plus disease plus 5 fire) and tail slap +28 melee (2d8+9 plus 5 fire)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Constrict 2d8+36 plus 5 fire, fear aura, grey flame, improved grab, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 15/good and silver, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to fire and poison, resistance to acid 10 and cold 10, regeneration 5, see in darkness, spell resistance 39, telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +30, Ref +30, Will +29
Abilities: Str 46, Dex 34, Con 35, Int 30, Wis 32, Cha 34
Skills: Bluff +42, Concentration +45, Diplomacy +51, Hide +51, Intimidate +49, Knowledge (history) +40, Knowledge (nature) +45, Knowledge (planes) +45, Knowledge (religion) +40, Listen +50, Move Silently +42, Search +45, Sense Motive +47, Spellcraft +45 (+47 scrolls), Spot +50, Use Magic Device +42 (+44 scrolls)
Feats: Ability Focus (Grey Flame), Cleave, Empower Spell-Like Ability (Scorching Ray), Improved Critical (Scimitar), Improved Initiative, Improved Sunder, Multiattack, Improved Multiattack, Power Attack, Quicken Spell-Like Ability (fireball), Quicken Spell-Like Ability (deeper darkness), Quicken Spell-Like Ability (greater dispel magic)
Environment: Khyber
Alignment: lawful evil

Korliac has been favoured by other members of the Council through unspeakable services, and has recieved over the ages an inherit +4 enhancement to all his ability scores through Wishes and Epic spells - the rewards of services to the potent powers of the Council of Ashtakala.

Korliac’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons he wields, are treated as evil-aligned and lawful-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Constrict (Ex): Korliac deals 2d8+36 points of damage plus 5 points of fire damage with a successful grapple check.

Disease (Su): A creature struck by a Korliac’s bite attack must succeed on a DC 31 Fortitude save or be infected with a vile disease known as bleak fever (incubation period 1d2 days, damage 2d4 Wis). The save DC is Constitution-based.

Fear Aura (Su): Korliac can radiate a 20-foot-radius fear aura as a free action. A creature in the area must succeed on a DC 31 Will save or be affected as though by a fear spell (caster level 18th). A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by Korliac’s aura for 24 hours. Other devils are immune to the aura. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Grey Flame (Su): Korliac's claim to fame. Whenever a creature is dealt fire damage by Korliac, they must succeed on a DC 29 Will save or be confused for 1d4 rounds. This includes the +2 DC from Ability Focus. In addition, Korliac's body is wreathed in grey flames, and whenever a creature strikes Korliac with a it's body or a handheld weapon, they are dealt 3d6 + 15 points of fire damage. Creatures wielding weapons with exceptional reach are not subject to this damage if they attack. Also, all of Korliac's natural weapons deal an additional 5 points of fire damage.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, Korliac must hit with its tail slap attack. He can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

If Korliac wins the grapple check, he establishes a hold and can constrict.

Poison (Ex): Injury, Fortitude DC 31, initial damage 1d6 Con, secondary damage death. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will—blasphemy (DC 34), deeper darkness, desecrate, create undead, fireball (DC 30), greater dispel magic, greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), invisibility, mass hold monster (DC 36), persistent image (DC 32), power word stun, scorching ray (3 rays), unhallow, unholy aura (DC 35); 1/day—meteor swarm (DC 36); 3/day- Empowered scorching ray (3 rays), Quickened deeper darkness, Quickened fireball (DC 30), Quickened greater dispel magic. Caster level 25th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Once per year Korliac can use wish as the spell (caster level 27th).

Regeneration (Ex): Korliac takes normal damage from good-aligned silvered weapons, and from spells or effects with the good descriptor.

Possessions: 'Grau' (see below), Ring of Mind Blank

Grau: large +5 flaming burst souldrinking longsword; AL NE; Int 20, Wis 12, Cha 24; Semiempathy, 60' vision and hearing; Ego 30.
Languages: Grau understands Ignan and Infernal
Lesser Powers: Wielder has free use of Mobility, Combat Reflexes, and Evasion
Greater Power: Confusion (DC 21; CL20) on struck opponents
Kudos to Sepulchrave II for his work in posting his cruel creations: much of Korliac was based on Annihor's stats, skills, and powers. Much love goes to Keith Baker, who made Eberron and the boundless evil that is Bossy, my his dread name cause genital herpes. Special thanks to the noodles on the WotC boards, who initally inspired me to create Korliac when someone said that Eberron was mostly low level.

Last edited:

Wycen

Explorer
sfedi said:
In the ECS it's mentioned that the LotD are Raksashas (sp?), and "other devils".
But, AFAIK, it never mentions which are.

What creatures are or should be in allegiance with the LotD?

Aberrations? Goblinoids? Devils?

In the Dragon article, issue # ?, I can't remember but the above post says 327, they describe several members of the Lords of Dust. I think all members are of the outsider type. There were a rakshasa, pit fiend (or was he a balor?), succbus. Was there a dragon, or perhaps a dragon was someone's mount?

Any humanoid creature would be a pawn and aberrations are definitely linked to Xoriat. Undead may be pawns as well, though perhaps you could argue for an undead version of an outsider as a Lord.

Last edited:

Remove ads