• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eldritch Blast Question

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
In general, most of the same stuff you can use for weapon feats can be taken for Eldritch Blast. Weapon Focus, Specialization, Improved Crit - all of that stuff should work.

I know you were asking for feats, but consider multi-classing as well. I had an interesting build for an NPC that was a warlock/rogue. He used a longspear, eldritch blast, hideous blow (the one that adds EB damage to a melee attack), and (ideally) sneak attack all in combination. I'm sure hardcore char-op guys could do a better job, but he was fairly powerful for an 8th level character. I think a warlock/scout build would be pretty good too.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Particle_Man said:
Improved Precise Shot. Takes a long time to meet the prereq's but worth it. IMHO.

As is Quicken Spell-Like Ability (eldritch blast). This wouldn't permit any modifying invocations (such as eldritch chain), but it does let you get in three quickened blasts a day.

Last edited:

Particle_Man

Explorer
Mark Chance said:
As is Quicken Spell-Like Ability (eldritch blast). This wouldn't permit any modifying invocations (such as eldritch chain), but it does let you get in three quickened blasts a day.

If you are high enough level, you can Quicken an Eldritch Chain.

FireLance

Legend
Mark Chance said:
A warlock can use Quicken Spell-like Ability on an eldritch blast modified by an eldritch essence or a blast shape invocation (or both), provided the modified spell-level equivalent is half his caster level -4 or less. An 16th-level warlock can quicken a modified eldritch blast provided it is the equivalent of a 4th or lower level spell, an eldritch chained hellrime blast, for example.

An eldritch blast modified by an eldritch essence or blast shape invocation is still an eldritch blast, and feats such as Ability Focus (eldritch blast) and Quicken Spell-like Ability (eldritch blast) also apply to the modified eldritch blast. This is strongly implied by the last paragraph on page 7 of Complete Arcane, which states "the feat Ability Focus (eldritch blast) increases the DC for all saving throws (if any) associated with a warlock's eldritch blast by 2." Since a basic eldritch blast has no saving throw, it must mean that the feat applies to eldritch blasts modified by eldritch essence or blast shape invocations that do have saving throws.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Particle_Man said:
If you are high enough level, you can Quicken an Eldritch Chain.

Which was my point. Mea culpa for being unclear. Since modifications such as eldritch chain change an eldritch blast's spell level, those modifications could make eldritch blast unaffectable by Quicken Spell-Like Ability, depending on the character's level.

Mark Chance said:
Which was my point. Mea culpa for being unclear. Since modifications such as eldritch chain change an eldritch blast's spell level, those modifications could make eldritch blast unaffectable by Quicken Spell-Like Ability, depending on the character's level.

Gotcha! I thought, perhaps, you meant that only vanilla EBs could be quickened. :D

Remove ads