Elite: Dangerous RPG?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I just found out about this from Spidermind Games.

http://www.edrpg.co.uk

Looks like it's Kickstarting in January. There's a free playtest book (you have to answer a quick survey question and provide you email address). It's a standalone players adventure called The Worst Intentions about 50 pages long, though I haven't had chance to delve into it.

Basic mechanic is d10 + skill bonus vs. target number, with DCs from 5-12.

MarkB

Legend
It looks promising. I've put a lot of hours into the PC game, although recently I've become rather jaded due to some of their design decisions and a lot of divisions in the playerbase. The setting certainly has enough interesting lore to it that it could support some decent campaigns.

One interesting thing to note from the brief description on the website is that seemingly they're aiming for each player to own their own ship, just like in the computer game. That's a relatively unusual approach - generally, in this sort of space trading / combat RPG the players tend to invest in a single large vessel between them - and it could help to alleviate some of the often-discussed issues with starship combat in a group-based RPG. Still, hopefully the system will have some flexibility in that regard.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
It looks promising. I've put a lot of hours into the PC game, although recently I've become rather jaded due to some of their design decisions and a lot of divisions in the playerbase. The setting certainly has enough interesting lore to it that it could support some decent campaigns.

One interesting thing to note from the brief description on the website is that seemingly they're aiming for each player to own their own ship, just like in the computer game. That's a relatively unusual approach - generally, in this sort of space trading / combat RPG the players tend to invest in a single large vessel between them - and it could help to alleviate some of the often-discussed issues with starship combat in a group-based RPG. Still, hopefully the system will have some flexibility in that regard.

So a squadron kind of thing? Seems like there would a lot of risk of splitting the party. But interesting as you say.

Remove ads