EN World's New News Page!

News and column categories, and a new server

It's a work in progress, but you may have noticed some changes to EN World's news page. It's a work-in-progress, but I wanted to keep you updated.

News & Article Categories
Other than the layout itself, we have begun categorizing our news topics and columns. While we did that sporadically before, we didn't do so in any real structured way. This should help you view the news content you are interested in. We have two types of categorization:
We are trying to keep the categorization focused--clicking on a category won't give a mass of articles which happen to mention that topic; rather it will give you articles which are specifically about that topic. Generally we try to make sure each article has only one category, occasionally two, and three very rarely. That way we get a curated list of relevant articles rather than an overwhelming blast of semi-related articles.

With a trove of articles going back years, it will take time to categorie them all. We've started with those in the last few months, and will be diligently doing so going forward.

You can use the categories in three ways (this may differ slightly on mobile devices):

Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 10.41.12 AM.png

The top right of each article has its category noted, and links to that category

Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 10.48.32 AM.png

On the front news page, each article also has its category noted, and links directly to it

Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 10.51.03 AM.png

In the main navigation, the News dropdown menu lists some of the more popular categories
along with our regular columns

New Server
Additionally this last weekend we moved to a new server which (hopefully) will address some of the performance issues we've had recently. There may be some teething problems, but the move is now complete.[/hr][/hr]

TheSword

Legend
Is it normal that threads don’t fit to the screen width anymore on mobile. It seems to have been relatively recently it changed but I might have missed it.

On iPhone I either have to read the threads in very small writing which is not good for my aging eyes or constantly slide the screen from side to side for each line which is really annoying.

Am I doing something wrong?

Simon Collins

Explorer
@Morrus Is the rpgnews.com site being retired as part of the changes or has there been a glitch in the server move that has caused issues? Haven't been able to access it for a couple of days now due to a database access error. Thanks.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
@Morrus Is the rpgnews.com site being retired as part of the changes or has there been a glitch in the server move that has caused issues? Haven't been able to access it for a couple of days now due to a database access error. Thanks.
It was working yesterday, but there is some kind of database glitch this morning.

Simon Collins

Explorer
Thanks! Hm...OK, I was definitely unable to get on about 5 or 6 attempts yesterday and I'm reasonably sure late weds pm UK time too (though the memory is a bit shot in my old age!)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads