• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

epic ghost rogue build?

Rkhet

First Post
I'm trying to stat out an epic undead cohort for my BBEG wizard. The idea is a ghost assassin that follows him around, hidden, and manifests only when needed. Thing is, I usually play spellcaster, so I have no idea how to build an epic rogue.

So I'm going to ask here. ECL is 30, 40 point buy, and it has to be mechanically strong because the PCs are reasonably well-twinked.

Last edited:

Jack Simth

First Post
Fun thing about an epic level ghost: he'll never, ever, fail a Rejuvination roll (ghosts stop having the capacity to fail their rejuvination roll at ECL 20, where a roll of 1 + HD will cover the DC 16). Unless the party is way ahead of him, they can't have a cleric Command him.

You want to squeeze in at least two levels of Blackgaurd or some such (for Charisma to saves), as he gets a +4 racial bonus to Charisma, and all ghostly abilities are Charisma-based (including a manifested deflection bonus to AC from his charisma....).

He's just begging for the Assasin prestige class....

They get one to three powers from the selectable list - as the DM, you get to choose which ones - I've always enjoyed Malevolence, myself - pick a meat shield with a nice, low Will save - but Draining Touch and Horrific Appearence can quickly make mincemeat out of anything not immune to ability damage, and it's always fun to use the Fighter-types in the party as missles to hit a spellcaster with a nearly at-will Telekenisis ... or sneak attack with each of the 15 Large Greatswords deliberately left lying around the room ... or the Huge Mithral Greatswords ... ouch.

Perhaps something along the lines of:
Rogue 11 / Assasin 10 / Blackgaurd 4; 12d6 sneak attack, Aura of Despair (-2 to all saves for enemies within 10 feet), Charisma to an attack roll vs. a good opponent once per day, True Strike and Inflict Light Wounds available, Hide as a class skill for all classes, Improved Uncanny Dodge, Hide in Plain Sight, a Rogue special ability (Skill Mastery including Hide, perhaps...). Might want to swap out a level of Rogue for a level of Monk - pulls a d6 off the sneak attack, but adds Wis to AC as well.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Jack Simth said:
Might want to swap out a level of Rogue for a level of Monk - pulls a d6 off the sneak attack, but adds Wis to AC as well.

If you're slapping in Monk, take Kung Fu Genius from Dragon # 319. Preq. is Int 13, and you can't take it after taking a level of monk. Changes your stat for purposes of Monk abilities from Wis to Int, which you'll probably want for more skills anyway.

In the event that the PC is in Heavy Fortification armor, or is otherwise immune to crits and sneak attack, take Precise Strike, from Dragon # 310. For any attack that would be a sneak attack, you can exchange sneak attack dice for a +2/die circumstance bonus to hit. This, of course, can then be used to crank up your damage via Power Attack, assuming, of course, that you have a ghost touch weapon around. (The build above has Power Attack already assumed, since Blackguard requires it, IIRC).

Craven, from Champions of Ruin, is another good feat. In exchange for a -2 Will save vs. Fear effects, you do +(character level) on sneak attacks. PCs really don't do much in the way of Fear effects.

Since you have arcane spells from Assassin, Arcane Strike from CW might be useful.

In general, it might be a good idea to take just enough Rogue and Blackguard to hit 20th level with Assassin-10, and then take Epic Assassin levels for the bonus feats.

Brad

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads