• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Etherscope Powers question

the_myth

First Post
I just bought Etherscope: Mysteries of the Occult and was hoping that the entire powers system would be in there. Alas, it isn't. I don't want to shell out for the Core Rulebook until the 2nd edition is released next month in softcover, so I was hoping someone would be willing to help me with a little intel.

Via Google I was able to find out that each skill has 2 powers associated with it. Would anyone be willing to tell me what the 2 powers for each are and give a little blurb as the the effect?

I take it these are the 9 basic skills, so what are the attendant pairs of powers?

Occult Lore Powers
*Hex Lore
*Imbuement
*Warding

Psychic Powers
*Aura Reading
*Psychic Awareness
*Telepathy

Spirit Medium Powers
*Commune
*Impressions
*Power reading

malladin

Explorer
Naughty, naughty! are you asking people to break copyright by posting an answer to your question?

Actually this is just the sort of thing that I'd ask so I'll give you a bit of slack. Anyway, if I remember rightly it's open content anyway :)

It's a while since I wrote it so I'll see what I can remember.

Hex Lore is curses and stuff, you can make a voodoo doll type of thing (note that I am aware that these types of things are more part of european witchcraft rather than vodoun, but if I say Voodoo doll most people know what I mean) or give someone the gypsy evil-eye.

Imbuement lets you give things a small enhancement bonus or create a healing draught.

Warding gives you powers similar to Protection from Evil; a blessing which provides bonuses to an individual or drawing a line which provides the protection to everyone on the protected side of the line.

Aura Reading gives you teh ability to see people's auras to tell tehir emotional state or object reading to see what happened in the past by touching an object related to the event.

Psychic Awareness gives the ability to locate objects that have been in your possession (the longer time in your possession and the shorter the time since you lost it the easier the DC), and a danger sense ability.

Telepathy is an odd one, it provides a basic power, Contact (used to make contact with someone's mind), which is needed to use the other powers. The other powers are reading surface thoughts and telempathic projection (changing people's emotions)

Commune lets you talk with the spirits. You can either do a seance (asking questions about people present, which provides fairly detailed answers) or ask a general question to the spirit world at large (which provides more limited information but with less restrictions).

Impressions lets you get a supernatural insight of some description- either an inkling into whether a suggested plan will turn out good or bad, or an ability to detect when people you meet have been plotting against you.

*Pattern* Reading lets you read impressions of the future or people's personality by the reading naturally occuring patterns, like tea leaves, palms or the bumps on peoples heads.

Apart from that you need to know that each of the nine is a skill, but that is only availabel if you have the requisite talent beforehand. If you have the Pattern Reading talent in your Broker class (similar to Charismatic Hero) you can buy ranks in the Pattern Reading skill as a class skill when you take further levels in Broker, or at cross class rates if you takle levels in another class. If you don't have the Pattern Reading talent you can't take ranks in Pattern Reading at all.

The Occult Lore skills run off Int and tehir talents are available to the Savant class (smart hero). Psychic powers run off Wis and relate to the Pursuer class (dedicated hero). Spirit medium powers are Cha/Broker (charismatic hero) related. There are other talents you can get which boost the power of your occult skills, too.

hope that helps,

Ben

the_myth

First Post
malladin said:
Naughty, naughty! are you asking people to break copyright by posting an answer to your question?

Actually this is just the sort of thing that I'd ask so I'll give you a bit of slack. Anyway, if I remember rightly it's open content anyway :)

It's a while since I wrote it so I'll see what I can remember.

hope that helps,

Ben

gee, the actual author himself! Thanks for the general descriptions of what was missing in the supplement!

As to breaking copyright, I don't think asking for general descriptions (that might appear in a review) breaks the allowance for "comment and criticism" in copyright law. I mean, I'm not asking for photocopies of the pages and such...just a general idea of what's missing from the supplement. If such a list had been included on a character sheet somewhere (or in a sample character found online), there would be no accusation or fear of copyright violation.

If so, this entire web-site would be in jeopardy of being closed, wouldn't it?

malladin

Explorer
the_myth said:
I don't think asking for general descriptions (that might appear in a review) breaks the allowance for "comment and criticism" in copyright law.

No, neither do I, I was only joking :).

Ben

Remove ads