• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WOIN Extras or Minions for WOIN

Taralan

Explorer
As the title mentions, are there any rules for minion types NPCs in WOIN or perhaps mobs ? I like the system, but combats can be long, especially with a multitude of lower grade opponents. Even if they are weaker, they still have a significant amount of health, especially if they have armor.

Obviously I could reduce their Health, but that seems unsatisfying.

If they are many such « extras » maybe we could create a mob of say 5 individuals which attack with say 8d6, losing a member and an attack dice everytime they suffer X damages.

Any thoughts or ideas ?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Not officially, but there are two approaches I use:

- one hit one kill minions

- pooled health minions (basically as you describe)

Both work just fine for me.

Taralan

Explorer
Thanks Morrus.

When you say one hit kills a minion do you mean any hits or a hit that does damages above Soak ? I assume its the latter to give effect to the NPC's armor.

I think this could work but I was thinking alternatively to use the lowest possible health points per die (1) instead of the average of 3.5. So a skeleton would have 7 Health rather than 24, making it much faster to dispatch, even considering its soak of 9.

loofou

First Post
I usually tend to use 1 HEALTH mooks that rarely even have SOAK. They are only there to give the players something to do on their way to the actual enemy NPCs with full stats.

I also use those for something like spawned creatures or a deployed drone swarm. They are meant to be distracting or slightly annoying but not really dangerous.

Often enough they have a good DEF though, so not to just waste a player action for nothing.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Thanks Morrus.

When you say one hit kills a minion do you mean any hits or a hit that does damages above Soak ? I assume its the latter to give effect to the NPC's armor.

I think this could work but I was thinking alternatively to use the lowest possible health points per die (1) instead of the average of 3.5. So a skeleton would have 7 Health rather than 24, making it much faster to dispatch, even considering its soak of 9.

The advantage of a minion (IMO) isn't the speed of dispatch, but the ease of book keeping. I won't find it much different tracking 7 health or 24.

So, for me at least, yeah - one hit which exceeds SOAK dispatches a minion. That's their purpose - to be ploughed though heroically by PCs.

knikpiw

Explorer
In WOIN starship combat the number of fighters (Let's say 4) has 4 Health and 4 damage. The number of fighters is the damage it does when in the same hex of a ship and looses a number to point defences. All of this happens without any rolls needed.

Obviously when a PC has a fighter you can micro-manage it.

With this example, you could make an equivalent for 'minions' all using the WOIN system.

No need to homebrew it if it exists under a different name already.

Taralan

Explorer
It's an interesting idea to use fighters as a proxy for Minions but how would it work exactly ?

If you had 5 minions they would have 5 health, and automatically do 5 damage no matter the defense of the PC ? And what about soaks ? Contrary to ships PCs don't usually have shields so 4 or 5 damages would often mean 0 with soak so the minion would never do anything.

I think this could be the beginning of a system but it needs some tweaking.

The advantage of a minion (IMO) isn't the speed of dispatch, but the ease of book keeping. I won't find it much different tracking 7 health or 24.

So, for me at least, yeah - one hit which exceeds SOAK dispatches a minion. That's their purpose - to be ploughed though heroically by PCs.

While speed of dispatch is also important IMO (a 24 Health skeleton with 9 armor which is supposed to be a 4d6 minion may take 6 or more attacks even for a 6d6 character to dispatch while a 7 health such skeleton would take only 2) you can't beat 1 health for speed of dispatch and it doea have the advantage of easy book-keeping as you mention. I will try that during my next game and see how it plays.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Latest EONS article is about Mooks and Bosses.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/24193358

EONS #136. One Hit Wonders: Mooks & Bosses. Rules for mooks, which allow your PCs to heroically dispatch minor foes with ease, and bosses, which are more powerful versions of regular creatures.

mooks.jpg

Taralan

Explorer
Just what I was looking for. The timing is quite uncanny :)

Does the Mob exploit doing an automatic 1 damage replace the Mook attack or is that in addition to the attacks ?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Just what I was looking for. The timing is quite uncanny :)

Does the Mob exploit doing an automatic 1 damage replace the Mook attack or is that in addition to the attacks ?

"The mooks may not attack the target directly."

Remove ads